Wired network goes out when wireless doesn't

hey, can't seem to get an actual answer to this elsewhere so decided to post on here. My wired network keeps going out randomly for 2-3 seconds while the wireless goes through hitch free. Brand new computer, all the drivers are up to date. It did the same thing to my old computer, as I thought it was a bad ethernet port on the motherboard. Any suggestions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Bad cable? Bad connection on the other end? Broken router? There could be a lot of causes.

I can rule out the cable. We've switched those. And it only appears to happen to my systems. The laptops can all connect without DCing wired.

This is the 2nd computer of mine this has happened to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a different ethernet port you could try plugging it into? If they are all dodgy, I say get a new router.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Do you have a different ethernet port you could try plugging it into? If they are all dodgy, I say get a new router.
    on my computer or on the modem? My computer only has 1 port. I've tried all the ports so far and it does it regardless. But again, not for the laptops we've tried.

Would any settings in the router cause this?

10+ Year Old Account
    if you plug a laptop in with a wired connection, does it have the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    on my computer or on the modem? My computer only has 1 port. I've tried all the ports so far and it does it regardless. But again, not for the laptops we've tried.

Would any settings in the router cause this?
    Sounds like the ethernet port on your motherboard might be going out.

Most likely the ethernet port on your router, or modem if that's what you're using. Obviously having two computers doing the same thing reduces the chances of it being a computer hardware or software problem to almost nil.

Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz80 View Post
    Sounds like the ethernet port on your motherboard might be going out.
    See, I'd buy that except its happened on a RoG board I was using AND a brand new Z77 sabertooth. And its only been recently. It doesn't happen on the laptops, though and that's why this is so confusing for me. Thanks for the replies, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    I can rule out the cable. We've switched those. And it only appears to happen to my systems. The laptops can all connect without DCing wired.

This is the 2nd computer of mine this has happened to.
    If it doesn't happen to computers you don't lay claim to (as in, not "yours" and not your gaming machines especially); it's done it on different PCs at different times; and you've ruled out the routers internals, the routers ports, and the cables used; then it's something you're installing on "your" PCs or it's due to the location "your" PCs were in.

Keep going with the process of elimination, or dig in to the logs at the times the connection drops.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Seems I just needed to restart after a hidden Win7 update. Didn't disconnect all night after restarting.