Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

A new computer (~950€ budget)

Hello.

I've been using this same terrible computer for 5 years now and I'd like to build a new PC. Currently I have a budget of around 950€ (mind you, I live in Finland so the prices are higher than those of US).

I play alot of different games (bf3 [possibly 4 when it comes out], WoW, bioshock infinity, far cry 3, gta 4, etc etc etc), small time video and picture editing (photoshop, vegas, after effects) and music listening (I already have a soundcard, so I will not list it in the part list).

So far, this is what I have in my shopping cart:
    Case: BitFenix Shinobi Core, black version*
    Mobo: ASRock z77 Pro3
    HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue
    SSD: Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3
    CPU: i5-3570k
    CPU cooler: Scythe Katana 4
    PSU: XFX 450w
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 660 Ti DCII OC

* I chose this specific case because of its price + looks. I also picked up colored stripes and a logo (doesn't cost much at all) so it'll fit the rest of my setup. Accompanied by 3 BitFenix Spectre 120mm fans to put in it.

My reasoning for the choice of graphics card (mind you, I'm 100% open for suggestions for a different card!) are that it comes with the NVIDIA F2P bundle which I'll be able to sell for ~40€, and after reading a large amount of user reviews theres not much negative stuff said about it.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Solid build actually I think most people would tell you to get a samsung 840 ssd drive or an M4 something like that but ehh. The video card is pretty solid and Asus is one of the best if not the best brand so your good on that. With your budget I don't think your going to get much better TBH with any of your parts but then again not sure of prices in Finland.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    Solid build actually I think most people would tell you to get a samsung 840 ssd drive or an M4 something like that but ehh. The video card is pretty solid and Asus is one of the best if not the best brand so your good on that. With your budget I don't think your going to get much better TBH with any of your parts but then again not sure of prices in Finland.
    The Kingston 120GB drive is on a sale for 80€, whereas the Samsung drive is currently 100€. Are there any major differences between them worth the 20€?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruinous View Post
    The Kingston 120GB drive is on a sale for 80€, whereas the Samsung drive is currently 100€. Are there any major differences between them worth the 20€?
    Nah it isn't the extra 20$ worth it tbh and whats the model of that blue hard drive?

I'm also considering a new rig in about the same price-range. I was wondering, does it make sense to go for an i7 CPU instead of an i5 or is that not good value? Also, how big does the SSD really have to be? Obviously archived stuff (music, videos, etc) is on a HDD, but is 120GB enough for the OS and some of the more important games?

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I'm also considering a new rig in about the same price-range. I was wondering, does it make sense to go for an i7 CPU instead of an i5 or is that not good value? Also, how big does the SSD really have to be? Obviously archived stuff (music, videos, etc) is on a HDD, but is 120GB enough for the OS and some of the more important games?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/newthrea...ewthread&f=332

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Nah it isn't the extra 20$ worth it tbh and whats the model of that blue hard drive?
    WD10EZEX. It's just a 1TB WD Caviar Blue drive, seems good for its price/storage.

I did some changes to my build - see below!

GPU: HD7950 Windforce x3 - Never Settle Reloaded bundle
    PSU: Corsair CX 600w (figured I'd overclock the GPU and CPU a bit)

Good changes? Suggestions?

10+ Year Old Account
    CX600 is not a good unit, too high chance of failure and most of them come with an incredible annoying coil whine.
    Try to look for the XFX550. Where do you buy your hardware from? I can't seem to find any decent priced shops in Finland..
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    CX600 is not a good unit, too high chance of failure and most of them come with an incredible annoying coil whine.
    Try to look for the XFX550. Where do you buy your hardware from? I can't seem to find any decent priced shops in Finland..
    Seasonic doesnt do anything else than suffering from coil whine. Be Quiet > seasonic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Seasonic doesnt do anything else than suffering from coil whine. Be Quiet > seasonic.
    I'm actualy pretty happy about my AX760, absolutly zero sound even while gaming. I might have gotten lucky or Seasonic have stepped up their game. Just try googling "AX760/860 coilwhine" lol...
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

I'm actualy pretty happy about my AX760, absolutly zero sound even while gaming. I might have gotten lucky or Seasonic have stepped up their game. Just try googling "AX760/860 coilwhine" lol...
    My ax860 is horrible.. According to Linus, Be Quiet doesn't accept coil whine and I can't find any post a be quiet coilwhining..

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard that aswell.
    It's rubbish though that the big companies accept coil whine when shipping out their items. :S

Deleted
    Well... Computer hardware is expensive in Finland.

I buy the hardware from Jimms.fi. Their prices might be a bit higher because posting expenses are included in every product already. I have a coupon for price reduction on a larger order so that's why I'm picking this store.

The xfx550w is currently out of stock and no arrival date is said anywhere, so I'll have to go with a different one.

Some other options
    - Silverstone 600w strider essential 80+
    - Cooler master 600w b-series
    - Chieftec 550w a-80
    - OCZ 600w modxstream
    - Be quiet 520w high current gamer

Posting from phone, sorry for typos and bad format

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't seem to find who manufactures the Be Quiet 520w, however they're usually reliable. That OCZ and Silverstone is made by Sirtec, which I'm not totally familiar with. Cooler Master B-Series (GX Lite Variant) No. Chieftec no.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Ah sorry. It's "antec 520w high current gamer" and the other one is "be quiet 530w pure powerL7". Confusing to browse many tabs on a phone :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Antec 520, then. It's a seasonic oem. That's the clear cream of the crop amongst those
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Prices in Finland is approximately newegg USD * 1.1 = €, and for some weird reason the multiplier is closer to 1.5 with PSUs

So 950€ here is roughly $850 USD from Newegg prices when you factor in quality PSU, and you can forget MIRs and -30% daily discounts on anything.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    There's also a XFX650w xxx edition for only 9e more. Should I just go with the antec 520w or pay 9e more for the xfx650w? I don't know at all if the 520w is enough to handle some minor overclocking? Like cpu to 4.2 and gpu only a bit or something.
    Last edited by mmoc02e9e27e34; 2013-05-13 at 09:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruinous View Post
    There's also a XFX650w xxx edition for only 9e more. Should I just go with the antec 520w or pay 9e more for the xfx650w? I don't know at all if the 520w is enough to handle some minor overclocking? Like cpu to 4.2 and gpu only a bit or something.
    a 520W will handle any overclocked CPU+single GPU combo. So it will work.

Well, maybe no any CPU+single GPU. But with what you want to do with it it will work. a 3930k + titan or 690 might be pushing the envelope a little bit.
    Last edited by Killora; 2013-05-13 at 09:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    520 is more than enough for a 660 Ti & 3570k with any overclock you had in mind, I would however go for the XFX 650 since the price difference isn't colossal and it will secure you for any configuration you had in mind in the future.