Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror

A fifth of murder and rape suspects born abroad, shock survey finds

A fifth of murder and rape suspects born abroad, shock survey finds

More than third of 210 rape suspects in London last year were immigrants
    Dyfed-Powys Police in Wales had no record of a rape or murder charge against a foreigner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...vey-finds.html

they come from countries where raping a woman is pretty much legal. it's not surprising.

10+ Year Old Account
    Suspects? How many of them were convicted? Being a suspect doesn't mean shit if they don't convict you for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Deleted
    Probably also has something to do with how poor immigrants are and that most criminals are usually poor to. Lots of poor immigrants + mostly poor criminals = high percentage of immigrant criminals.

"The figures did not reveal how many were convicted or cleared, The Sun reported."
    So...yeah. Meaningless statistics are meaningless. You could just as easily use crap like this to accuse police of profiling, as opposed to the anti-immigration rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Probably also has something to do with how poor immigrants are and that most criminals are usually poor to. Lots of poor immigrants + mostly poor criminals = high percentage of immigrant criminals.
    That is not a valid excuse.

Imagine what cultural shock must one feel when moving from a country where women have to cover themselves from head to toe in fabric.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

15+ Year Old Account
    It is pretty much like that in many west european countries regarding rape. There are a few types of crime but far far from the majority of them that immigrants/refugees are over representated in. Rape is one of them.

It is not any form of excuse for it but coming from countries where what our law define as a rape is not a rape kinda has its impact on the frequency of it.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2013-05-14 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    37% of the population in London is born outside the UK.
    So that is pretty much in line with crimes committed by people who were born in the UK.
    Seriously. Trying to use this as an argument against immigration is completely stupid and backwards. If anything, 1 in 5 means that immigrants are underrepresented for this particular crime statistic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Four-fifths of murder and rape suspects are not immigrants. Pretty crazy stat right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    they come from countries where raping a woman is pretty much legal. it's not surprising.
    Tell me, how did you manage to find out so much about the specific countries involved and their cultural view on sex just from hearing the word "immigrants"? Especially considering a town like London gets immigration from every corner of the world? Because that sounds like a very generalized assumption to me.

Anyway, what Kangodo says checks out fine, and re-proves the already tired point that you need to look at the big picture when Daily Mail says something. It's perfectly reasonable that one third of the population would be responsible for one third of the crimes, no?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is a problem thats been developing for a while. countries say, where women used to be able to walk home after a night out and just go about their business without harassment have seen some real changes in this regard. look at sweden, apparently now the rape capital of europe, a place where this would have been deemed impossible just 10 years ago. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=096_1267472543 google it, the stats are horrific

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Because every immigrant comes from a fundamental islamic country, right?

"Born abroad" also includes russians, americans, canadians, french, italian, german nationalities and so on and so on, no? But ofc we all know those good people never rape anyone...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/ap...me?INTCMP=SRCH

Rates of burglary, vandalism and car theft all dropped following the arrival of migrants from Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary and seven other countries after they joined the European Union in 2004. But the opposite was found to be the case in areas that experienced an influx of asylum seekers from the late 1990s onwards, where rates of property crime were "significantly higher". In addition, immigration has no impact on levels of violent crime on British streets, according to the analysis.

Experts from the London School of Economics set out to examine if the common assertion that immigrants cause crime was corroborated by statistics, after noting a "paucity of credible empirical evidence" to support the claim.
    Not all immigrants are the same though.

Sounds like someone likes to stir up fear of foreigners. And how is that a shock survey? 20% of the crimes are by foreigners and 80% are STILL done by nationals. What kind of shitty article is that even? Should a rape victim be happy that "at least I got raped by a fellow countryman"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asics View Post
    Four-fifths of murder and rape suspects are not immigrants. Pretty crazy stat right?
    20% of crimes committed by non-white who is only 10% of the UK population therefor immigrants have a tendency to do crimes more often.

Sounds like someone likes to stir up fear of foreigners. And how is that a shock survey? 20% of the crimes are by foreigners and 80% are STILL done by nationals. What kind of shitty article is that even? Should a rape victim be happy that "at least I got raped by a fellow countryman"?
    Do you know how to interpret stats?
    A small fraction of population is committing 20% of crime.
    So therefore, they commit more crime by percentages than nationals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    I think this is a problem thats been developing for a while. countries say, where women used to be able to walk home after a night out and just go about their business without harassment have seen some real changes in this regard. look at sweden, apparently now the rape capital of europe, a place where this would have been deemed impossible just 10 years ago. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=096_1267472543 google it, the stats are horrific
    That article is just wrong, though. First of all, we don't have the highest rate of immigration in Europe. That's easy to fact-check. Spain has over 3 times as many immigrants per 100k inhabitants (and more than 5 times as many inhabitants in total), and they aren't on top.

The article also makes a lot of wild claims for which there are no backing sources, and while it'd probably take more digging than I have time for to find counter-proof, it's not my responsibility to prove their claims are wrong. Considering they'd make a lie as transparent as "highest rate of immigration", I wouldn't give the author too much credibility on anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    the fact remains that sweden has seen an unprecedented increase in rape and crimes against women. google swedens rape epidemic, there are too many links to begin posting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/ap...me?INTCMP=SRCH

Not all immigrants are the same though.
    I wouldnt take guardian news as reliable source, Im not even from UK but yet I still know guardian is full of bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    Do you know how to interpret stats?
    A small fraction of population is committing 20% of crime.
    So therefore, they commit more crime by percentages than nationals.
    Do you know how to interpret stats? Correlation is not causation. What about the impact of poverty on crime rates and so on? They say nothing at all about that.

Beyond which while overall 10% of the country may be immigrants I think you'll find the higher crime areas (major cities) have a higher than 10% immigrant population, making the immigrant crime rate numbers not all that strange or out of proportion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because every immigrant comes from a fundamental islamic country, right?

"Born abroad" also includes russians, americans, canadians, french, italian, german nationalities and so on and so on, no? But ofc we all know those good people never rape anyone...
    When speaking of this it is usually about refugees from outside Europe such as Middle East, Africa and not immigrants per say.