Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Time limited content is a horrid idea, I dont think its a benefit to the game nor is it in anyway bolstering retention nor do I see it create a buzz, I dont see how limiting content for 1 day or 1 month creates any kind of buzz, all it does for me is take me away from what I'd like to do and force me to squeeze in this content that I would otherwise miss. Admittedly the time scale is generally long enough that its not so much a squeeze but I still thoroughly dislike it and the principle of it.
    In what way does it create a buzz more than non time limited content might I ask?

Releasing an expansion too soon can actually hurt the game. Until the base game itself stops selling reasonably I wouldn't hold my breath.

In what way does it create a buzz more than non time limited content might I ask?
    News feeds, blogs, podcasts, websites and forums are more likely to promote the "New bandit event this weekend only!!" than the bandit event that runs every day, forever.

The limited availability around items and skins creates a tremendous amount of discussion, speculation and economic activity. We can actually see this in progress via tools like GW2Spidy.

It's done in like every industry.

"McRib is back! For a limited time!"
    "Khol's 2 day only sale!"
    "This Sunday only! Be THERE!!!"

Et certera.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    News feeds, blogs, podcasts, websites and forums are more likely to promote the "New bandit event this weekend only!!" than the bandit event that runs every day, forever.

The limited availability around items and skins creates a tremendous amount of discussion, speculation and economic activity. We can actually see this in progress via tools like GW2Spidy.

It's done in like every industry.

"McRib is back! For a limited time!"
    "Khol's 2 day only sale!"
    "This Sunday only! Be THERE!!!"

Et certera.
    I understand the time limited item sales for sure, I guess Im looking at this from WoW, any time limited content was moaned about to high heaven, think the only time it wasnt was things like opening of the black portal or AQ gates, and a lot of people feel peeved they could take no part in it. I dunno, personally there was a good amount of prestige at being able to say I was there but I'd much rather see everyone get to experience the content than being forced in to the developers prefered time table.
    I dont think GW2 needs time limited content and I dont really think it helps with retention I certainly hope we dont see it incorporated in to other games, just my personal opinion ofc, im sure people see it as a good addition.

It does create retention. Every time a game gets a player to come back and invest to greater extent that game is potentially creating more entrenchment.

That's their goal as live operational piece of media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It does create retention. Every time a game gets a player to come back and invest to greater extent that game is potentially creating more entrenchment.

That's their goal as live operational piece of media.
    I still dont see how time limited content is the key here and not just new content. You say other games can learn from Anets limited time content, im jsut trying to understand in what way releasing a story driven bandit attack that lasts a weekend is going to drag someone back instead of a stroy driven bandit attack that you can do as and when. If the content isn't good then its irrelevant how long it is. If said bandit attack truly lasts a weekend, whats to stop that player then dropping out after the weekend, Anet would do better to create content that lasts not quick fix gimmicks.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-05-15 at 05:25 PM.

Well it is new content. It's just not the traditional kind.

It certainly creates a good opportunity for them to make more fractals as well.

Now I certainly would like to see some permanent content additions as well as this. Perhaps they will be adding new areas such as the Crystal Desert in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I still dont see how time limited content is the key here and not just new content.
    It is new content.

And you better get in on it now, now, now!

You say other games can learn from Anets limited time content
    I am saying other games that offered their content piecemeal, namely TSW and EQ2, could have caught on sooner to the device Anet have established over the last 4 months.

Which is actually both time limited, buzz content and smaller features/additions coincided with cash shop items. Whereas the TSW/EQ2 went for an adventure pack model that see quite a bit of lull between releases with no on going or constant new activity.

I probably didn't flesh out the thought fully in talking about EQ/TSW. Apologies for laziness.

If the content isn't good then its irrelevant how long it is.
    Actually, how "good" the content is, is irreverent,.

It is somewhat a myth that quality is the major driving factor for gamers/customers. Value is.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I understand the time limited item sales for sure, I guess Im looking at this from WoW, any time limited content was moaned about to high heaven, think the only time it wasnt was things like opening of the black portal or AQ gates, and a lot of people feel peeved they could take no part in it.
    A lot of people complained about one time events, a lot of people complained about lack of one time events. A lot of people complain, period.

I dunno, personally there was a good amount of prestige at being able to say I was there but I'd much rather see everyone get to experience the content than being forced in to the developers prefered time table.
    Think of it like the Steam Sale. Why buy X when you can wait until it and Y and Z are on sale in a few months? X had better be super-exceptional to buy it right now.

So yeah, lets say Flame & Frost was added, and stayed, along with SAB. You'd just wait until Southsun Cove 2: The Revenge Of Crabs, then do all three at once perhaps. The time limited nature means you're tuning it each month, you're at the least paying attention to what is going on.

Besides, how could you do Southsun 2 if Southsun 1 was still in theaters?

And lastly, the holiday stuff in WoW is not hated or derided, from what I've seen. A lot of people enjoy it. So maybe a better example would be using the GW2 Halloween patch, which added a limited event as well as some permenant content.

I dont think GW2 needs time limited content and I dont really think it helps with retention I certainly hope we dont see it incorporated in to other games, just my personal opinion ofc, im sure people see it as a good addition.
    I'm sure all that matters is the $ in the end. If people are tuning in and buying stuff, then they're doing it right. If people are leaving because the content is limited in scope and they don't want to risk missing something, then it'll reflect.

They do seem to be listening to criticism of their events, but hopefully they don't take everything to heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    They do seem to be listening to criticism of their events, but hopefully they don't take everything to heart.
    If they did they'd have contrary messages
    The thing is, an MMO (or really, any game) tries to tell a story. A static world can tell a limited story, but is harder to evolve (see: the flak WoW got when they changed Kalimdor/EK in Cata); if it's static, players expect it to stay static, so that they can do what they want, when they want. A dynamic world allows for an evolving story to be told. This can be done in phasing, as in WoW, but then you get people being in different points in the story at the same time, even within the same zone/region. Or, you can have temporary events, which tell their part of the story, when that part of the story happens; some people will miss it, which is unfortunate for them, but at the same time, it gives meaning to each chapter of the living story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

None of the content patches or 'temporary' content have been enough to keep me back on the game for more than an afternoon at best. I personally feel like the game needs an expansion to really give me something to do. I feel very strongly that currently as a player with no interest in PvP that this game is very very close to being wasted hard drive space. The game is very enjoyable but there's just nothing to do already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well it is new content. It's just not the traditional kind.

It certainly creates a good opportunity for them to make more fractals as well.

Now I certainly would like to see some permanent content additions as well as this. Perhaps they will be adding new areas such as the Crystal Desert in the near future.
    *cough cough*
    check on gw2reddit
    *cough cough*
    New fractal - new jumping puzzle that involves a new zone (norn northern starting area with the huge door apparently).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    *cough cough*
    check on gw2reddit
    *cough cough*
    New fractal - new jumping puzzle that involves a new zone (norn northern starting area with the huge door apparently).
    that's not confirmed

Limited time content doesn't bother me nearly as much as one time only content and unfortunately what Anet's been putting out lately is the latter. I don't think everything should necessarily be available all of the time once it's introduced, but at least with holiday events I usually have the comfort of knowing if I missed something I can just try again next year.

It doesn't have to be reintroduced identically or necessarily be annual. Something like SAB would be a good example if it's executed the way they've planned, although, I do think retiring the previous weapon skins before they had a full set to offer is/was a bad decision. (Of course, I'm not a fan of removing vanity items ever. If anything they should be put on some sort of moratorium, not gone for good.)

I also wish GW2 would adopt WoW's "Feats of Strength". As an OCD completionist it bugs the Hell out of me to have gaps in my achievements that I can never fill. I really wish one-time-only things had their own section in achievements.

It just feels odd that they'd put so much development time into something like the Molten Facility only to remove it forever after what, 2 weeks?
    Not to mention it was one of the better dungeons, none of that 'skipping' bs, a few interesting mechanics and so on. (I know it's just personal taste but still, it felt like a proper dungeon, unlike most of the explorables that have to/can be cheesed in some way)

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    It just feels odd that they'd put so much development time into something like the Molten Facility only to remove it forever after what, 2 weeks?
    Not to mention it was one of the better dungeons, none of that 'skipping' bs, a few interesting mechanics and so on. (I know it's just personal taste but still, it felt like a proper dungeon, unlike most of the explorables that have to/can be cheesed in some way)
    Yeah I liked that dungeon. They could and should put it in as a Fractal of some sort, it would allow people to still play it while letting the main game world continue to move on and evolve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post

I'm a bit baffled by this as well. One of the best dungeons so far imo but they have hinted it will come back as a Fractal.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by syom View Post
    that's not confirmed
    There was a confirmation of the new jumping puzzle. :x

I liked the idea of Molten Weaponfacility but the fact that I solo'd it, the first and only time I did it, seriously says something about how porely it was designed all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I liked the idea of Molten Weaponfacility but the fact that I solo'd it, the first and only time I did it, seriously says something about how porely it was designed all around.
    I think you're just OP. :P I never got a chance to run it so I don't know how easy/difficult it was. For some reason, though, I just got an idea for a dungeon where all the enemies are wielding Nerf weapons and the more you get hit the less damage you do.