Been out of real raiding since WotLK, info for a returning player?

Perhaps this should go in general discussion, sorry if that's the case, I'm interested in serious raiding so I figured I should post here.

I've been out of the game for a while, during WotLK I was in a group that had full clear on 10HM ICC but I stopped playing when cataclysm came out, I've been on and off for a while now, but did mostly leveling and a little LFR (so I at least know what that is).

I'm curious what the general state of serious raiding is now, compared to how it was in WotLK, and what is the sort of progression I should be looking to follow if I were to resubscribe and start playing again.

I have between 85-90 characters for every class so I'm on roughly equal footing in that department, so I suppose I could also use advice there if there's anything I should actively avoid playing or that you'd strongly recommend I do play for any reason.

Anything else you'd like to tell someone who's in my shoes would be welcome too

Don't bother unless you're on one of the high pop mega servers. With CRZ and general sub drops the smaller realms are all dying. Guilds are having tons of problems being able to recruit new players to replace the ones who leave and subsequently dying. It's a large part of why I stopped. My guild went from 25->10->problems getting even competent tanks/dps for 10s. My realm is not the only place this is happening as more and more players migrate to the mega pop realms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Don't bother unless you're on one of the high pop mega servers. With CRZ and general sub drops the smaller realms are all dying. Guilds are having tons of problems being able to recruit new players to replace the ones who leave and subsequently dying. It's a large part of why I stopped. My guild went from 25->10->problems getting even competent tanks/dps for 10s. My realm is not the only place this is happening as more and more players migrate to the mega pop realms.
    If I remember correctly most of my horde characters are on Mal'Ganis and alliance are on Proudmoore, they were both high pop when I was last playing, I'll have to look to see if that's still the case.

Deleted
    If you enjoy raiding and manage to find a decent realm / guild then you sure won't regret it.

The raids this tier and the previous have been great, generally if you are a healer or tank, you can usually pug your way to a item level that's good enough to get you into a guild that raids ToT in no time. Just a combination fo LFR, a few pugs, and ToT dailies will pretty much do the trick.

Less people seem to raid now then before IMO, it's probably a good idea to look for a well established guild that has a few benchers that hop on if regular raiders can't make it, but anyway, yeah if you liked raiding back then, you'll probably enjoy it now, it's a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Less people seem to raid now then before IMO, it's probably a good idea to look for a well established guild that has a few benchers that hop on if regular raiders can't make it, but anyway, yeah if you liked raiding back then, you'll probably enjoy it now, it's a lot of fun.
    It's a mid-expansion tier, this has always been the case, people will return for new patches/raids/expansion.

If you're horde goto illidan, if you're alliance go to stormrage. As you grow and get better gear and more progression achievements, you can branch out to the other guilds.