Poll: Is it wrong that I never tip?

Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I really, just... damn. Some people still shock me. Do you refuse shipping and handling because it should be 'included in the price of the product' and hey, "this other product has free shipping! THIS IS A RIPOFF!!".

Because that's what a delivery fee and a tip essentially is. Shipping (delivery fee) + handling (tip). It costs more to bring the product to you, hence the product costs more to you in the long run.

Cross that amount out on your next online purchase invoice and see what happens. I guess the tip really ought to be written out on the bill. Like to see what some of you would do then (sadly, I already know in some cases: cross it out).

---------- Post added 2013-05-19 at 03:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    So what's the delivery fee for ? Just a random charge they tack on for their own profits ?
    Keep reading the post?

The delivery fee is so the store can reimburse them for gas, as they are legally required to do, and pay for the extra insurance required when you have people driving under your employment. Don't like them passing the costs on to you? Move to a country that is not America. They decided long ago that they would rather advertise the lowest possible price, and pass along any additional costs as fees or price hikes.
    It was right there in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    So the fact that it says right there on the website that "The delivery fee is not a tip paid to the driver" does not dissuade you? You are rude and disrespectful and deserve to be told so.

I understand not wanting to pay more for your pizza, that is why you have the option to go and pick it up, and save the delivery fee AND the tip. The tip is an expected part of the transaction (why the little space is there for it on the receipt!) and it helps to pay the driver back for the wear and tear on their vehicle and their extra SERVICE in coming out and taking the pizza to you. The delivery fee is so the store can reimburse them for gas, as they are legally required to do, and pay for the extra insurance required when you have people driving under your employment. Don't like them passing the costs on to you? Move to a country that is not America.

They decided long ago that they would rather advertise the lowest possible price, and pass along any additional costs as fees or price hikes. It's how any other industry works, and yet you still pay them. Not acceptable to not pay here.
    By law part of that 2$-3$ is suppose to give the driver a cut of that and they do in some places and its only like 50cents-75cents.

Because I don't want to pay what the company should dose not make me rude or disrespectful in anyway at all. If I went and got my pizza that would be 2.75$ or whatever it is now a hr the driver would not have gotten.

So you tell me what is better for the driver the 2.75$ a hr and maybe a tip from someone or zero.

The customer should not have to make up what the company is doing and there is many laws in place that waiters need to use more. If more waiters and Delivery drivers stood up to the company and took them to court for not obeying the law.

Tell me how is it fair that someone working as a waiter/Delivery driver makes around 15$ a hr after tips they get for 20-30hrs of work but someone working someone else for 30-40hr's a week only makes 7.25$....
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    I have never tipped a dime in my life. Why do people feel obligated to get money as if i'm already going to give it to them?

Usually the task they're doing requires no brain work at all, so why should I reward you?

I just frustrates me. Am I wrong to thing this?
    Yes. You're a horrible person and it's very likely that many people you don't know and will never see again think very poorly of you.

I tip everyone everywhere. Why? Because $20 will surely serve someone that has to work for a living a lot more than it will serve me while I'm sitting on my ass, enjoying life and not having to worry about making mortgage payments, feeding children, keeping the lights and heat on, or making constant repairs on a shitty car just so I can make it faithfully to a shitty job.

People that don't tip and don't give money to the homeless or panhandlers should be strung up.

In my very modest opinion...

I would say in situations where their paycheck is under minimum wage and they need the tip to make up the difference, you should always tip them unless they managed to make your overall experience at the restaurant worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    People that don't tip and don't give money to the homeless or panhandlers should be strung up.

In my very modest opinion...
    I don't tip but I have given money to homeless people or panhandlers even donated some change I had to one of those charity's you see a small bucket of at the store or them walking up and down the middle of the street.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I deliver pizza, if you don't tip then I'll still kindly smile but in my head I'm thinking, "What a cunt" because there are certain jobs where tipping is highly encouraged in which mine is one of them. Yeah it may seem harsh when you read what I'm thinking but honestly why wouldn't you tip with the way everything is done? I can give you the whole rundown of which genders and races (combined together too) tip and don't tip as whole but that may be going a bit far on these forums. I will say one thing though, white males tip more than anyone else.

Even my dad who makes hundreds of thousands believes that if you are going to order something from somewhere or go out to eat, that you should know that a tip is part of the whole sum.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I would say in situations where their paycheck is under minimum wage and they need the tip to make up the difference, you should always tip them unless they managed to make your overall experience at the restaurant worse.
    there is laws in place that take care of that but most don't enforce them because they are afraid of getting fired so if more Waiters/Delivery drivers stood up to the company's then we would not be having this convo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I don't tip but I have given money to homeless people or panhandlers even donated some change I had to one of those charity's you see a small bucket of at the store or them walking up and down the middle of the street.
    Why? What's the difference, they aren't even working whether they can get a job or not yet you won't tip someone who is working and doing a service for you? Logic is flawed.

@Tribunal, thank you.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2013-05-19 at 03:52 AM.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    I deliver pizza, if you don't tip then I'll still kindly smile but in my head I'm thinking, "What a cunt" because there are certain jobs where tipping is highly encouraged in which mine is one of them. Yeah it may seem harsh when you read what I'm thinking but honestly why wouldn't you tip with the way everything is done? I can give you the whole rundown of which genders and races (combined together too) tip and don't tip as whole but that may be going a bit far on these forums. I will say one thing though, white males tip more than anyone else.

Even my dad who makes hundreds of thousands believes that if you are going to order something from somewhere or go out to eat, that you should know that a tip is part of the whole sum.
    Not to come off like a ass but don't take it that way there is laws in place that Waiters and Drivers should enforce more because they don't company's walk all over them and the customer should not have to pay because of it.

---------- Post added 2013-05-19 at 03:52 AM ----------

Why? What's the difference, they aren't even working whether they can get a job or not yet you won't tip someone who is working and doing a service for you? Logic is flawed.
    The difference is that the homeless don't have a job and you do. even tho your making 2.75$ a hr you know you will be able to eat something tonight they know its a good chance they won't be able to.

there is a huge ass difference and as I said Drivers/Waiters have laws in place that need to be used more. Homeless people have laws forced on them to where if they are cough asking for money they go to jail.

Tell me how that is fair.

15+ Year Old Account
    By law part of that 2$-3$ is suppose to give the driver a cut of that and they do in some places and its only like 50cents-75cents.
    As I said, the delivery fee is in part so they can reimburse gas, as they are required to do so. That is the only part of it the driver gets.

Because I don't want to pay what the company should dose not make me rude or disrespectful in anyway at all.
    Yes it does. Disagreeing with the company and instead taking it out on their employee (who does not make the company level decisions) in the face of accepted custom IS rude. Calling you out on it is my small part in doing what your parents apparently failed to.

If I went and got my pizza that would be 2.75$ or whatever it is now a hr the driver would not have gotten. So you tell me what is better for the driver the 2.75$ a hr and maybe a tip from someone or zero.
    Actually, the employee would either stay at the store and make pizzas, which they are paid minimum wage for (that's why they clock in and out of delivery runs) or go on a run to someone else's house who actually tips, as expected. So no, you are not "helping them out" by stiffing them (which is a ridiculous sentiment on the face, although it's kind of amusing that you've convinced yourself otherwise).

The customer should not have to make up what the company is doing
    Don't disagree. Still not a good reason to short-change your waiter or delivery driver. The company is the one doing wrong, per your own words, so refuse to pay them (although 90% of the time they will try to turn around and take it from the waiter/delivery person, but that IS illegal, which brings us to your next point).

and there is many laws in place that waiters need to use more. If more waiters and Delivery drivers stood up to the company and took them to court for not obeying the law.
    BUUZZZZZ, wrong. The law says that the companies can do exactly what they are doing, which is why they are doing it. They paid a lot of money to Congress to get the laws they way they wanted them. So taking them to court is laughable, and would get your case immediately dismissed. And most large chains have clauses in their employment contracts that say you can't even take them to court, again, because big business lobbied the government to make that legal.

Tell me how is it fair that someone working as a waiter/Delivery driver makes around 15$ a hr after tips they get for 20-30hrs of work but someone working someone else for 40hr's a week only makes 7.25$....
    Because it's a hard job physically, and the additional pay makes it more attractive and thus gets people to do it. In the case of the delivery driver, it also requires the use of your own car 90% of the time, and it is reasonable that they are compensated for that. Some jobs pay more than others, that is just how it works.

Keep reading the post?
    DoH! how did I miss that.

10+ Year Old Account

That's how I tip.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account

Because I don't want to pay what the company should dose not make me rude or disrespectful in anyway at all. If I went and got my pizza that would be 2.75$ or whatever it is now a hr the driver would not have gotten.

So you tell me what is better for the driver the 2.75$ a hr and maybe a tip from someone or zero.

The customer should not have to make up what the company is doing and there is many laws in place that waiters need to use more. If more waiters and Delivery drivers stood up to the company and took them to court for not obeying the law.

Tell me how is it fair that someone working as a waiter/Delivery driver makes around 15$ a hr after tips they get for 20-30hrs of work but someone working someone else for 30-40hr's a week only makes 7.25$....
    It's called getting the job first and finding out when someone leaves. Look that's just how it works, I worked a 5-11:30 shift tonight and made $110 off of tips. That's a lot to make in that time, I was lucky. Generally speaking I'd usually make around 60-80 in that time frame. The most I've ever made is $310 in a night.
    Hey everyone

15+ Year Old Account
    @Tribunal, thank you.
    You're welcome. I think not tipping in the US in the very, very, VERY few situations where it is truly 'part of the deal' is one of the rudest and most asinine things you can do and still be generally considered a normal person.

And it's nice to see a fellow tipped worker (although former in my case) who doesn't advocate reacting to the rudies. I truly get the anger at it, and it is justified, but getting all vindictive just justifies them further. Case in point, dis thread.

Yes it does. Disagreeing with the company and instead taking it out on their employee (who does not make the company level decisions) in the face of accepted custom IS rude. Calling you out on it is my small part in doing what your parents apparently failed to.
    You call me rude and them make a comment like that Pot meet Kettle.

Because it's a hard job physically, and the additional pay makes it more attractive and thus gets people to do it. In the case of the delivery driver, it also requires the use of your own car 90% of the time, and it is reasonable that they are compensated for that. Some jobs pay more than others, that is just how it works.
    Working at a day care is a hard physical job and many people who do only get payed 7.25$ a hr to work Monday-Friday from 6am to 5pm.

Being Welder is a harder job then being a Delivery driver and they get payed the same or less compared to each other and yet the welder is working more or same hrs as the driver.

Once more and ill say it until I'm blue in the face there is laws in place that company's have to make up the difference its not the customers fault if Waiter's and Drivers are not using them or even trying to pawning it off on the customer is a bit more rude don't you think.

Also to add because you are/was a waiter your opinion on this is a bit bias I personally think.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-05-19 at 04:00 AM.

Not wrong, no, for two reason.

One, a server/waitress/whatever will never make less than minimum wage under Federal law, even if they get shit for tips.

Second, the last IRS estimate I saw was that tipped employees only report 18% of their tips. I have to pay taxes on every dollar that I make, so I don't feel bad that I'm not shelling out for people who are shirking the system.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

I don't tip and like how most have already posted by law the company is post to make up the difference.

the system is shitty that is a given but it isn't my place to do what your boss should be doing.
    If you see the business practice as shitty, would you also say it is unfair?
    Why as a consumer would you support a business you find shitty or unfair?

There are places where you can sit down to eat without paying for a waiter's service. These places are usually called buffets, cafeterias, or fast food. Alternately you may cook or eat from a street can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to clear things up, when I'm clocked in at the store I make minimum, when I clock out for a run it's like 4.25. Delivery/waiting jobs are jobs that (in the US) people are expected to tip. Yeah you don't have too but you're considered a dick by many standards. I'm 18 and I can pay for my god damn car insurance, car repairs (99 BMW 323i), phone bill, and still have some spending money. I'm doing this all while going to school and I get 20+ work weeks. I live under my parents roof but seriously if my dad who makes hundreds of thousands a year says you should be expected to tip, then you should damn well be tipping.

---------- Post added 2013-05-19 at 12:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post

One, a server/waitress/whatever will never make less than minimum wage under Federal law, even if they get shit for tips.

Second, the last IRS estimate I saw was that tipped employees only report 18% of their tips. I have to pay taxes on every dollar that I make, so I don't feel bad that I'm not shelling out for people who are shirking the system.
    Credit card tips are reportable, cash is not that's just how it goes. You want their tips to get taxed, use a credit card.

EDIT: Honestly, just tip 2 bucks. You're a dick if you don't, there is no other way to look at it. These people whether they fucked up in life somewhere don't make as much. Pizza delivery pays well for someone my age but it also puts wear and tear on a car, you can't even get the job with tickets on your record. You can get fired just like that for missing one shift.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2013-05-19 at 04:05 AM.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post

I think I love you someone finally gets it.

I am not but I can say for a 100% fact that if I was a Waiter/Driver if you tipped me or not I would not give a shit anyway because I would be happy just to have a job and not have to do what I do now to make money "nothing law breaking I just setup outside in the heat each weekend for around 12hrs a day trying to sell shit to get by"

Because getting a job in my area blows and I got a better change winning the lottery but that is a different topic for a different day.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosene View Post
    There is a minimum wage, which is $7.25 I believe.
    Then there is a minimum wage for tipped employees, which is $2.13.
    http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm#foot1
    Yes, and if they don't make enough in tips to cover what would equal out to minimum wage, the employer needs to make up the difference, so they will still always get at least minimum wage, whether you tip or not.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.