Poll: Is it wrong that I never tip?

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Tips *should* be true gratuities, an acknowledgement of service well done. They should be at the discretion of the customer, reflecting their satisfaction with their service, as well as their good-will towards the service personnel. They shouldn't be EXPECTED, much less REQUIRED.

-HOWEVER-

This assumes an economy where waiting and service staff are paid adequately. In some countries (like the US), they are NOT. They RELY on tips to get by, and not tipping them is equal to taking money right out of their paycheck. This is NOT A GOOD SYSTEM, but it's the one that's in place at the moment. Respect that, and don't forget it. Still, even in that fucked-up system, service personnel should never be rude to a customer. If customers are being asshats, shame on them; it's no excuse to retaliate in kind. It sucks to have to do this, but that's part of being a professional. Good customers will acknowledge that attitude.

I personally prefer a system like the one in Japan, i.e. there are no tips AT ALL, not even voluntary or exceptional ones. You leave money lying on the counter when you leave, chances are someone will sprint down the road to catch you and give it back (yes this really happens). It boggles the mind why people WOULDN'T default to this system; it's the same as any other job, after all: you work - you get paid. End of story. Being polite, nice, and helpful is part of the job (and thus, of what you are paid for), as it ALWAYS is when in a job that deals with customers directly. Even in the US you don't tip your bank teller - but you still expect them to be nice to you and give you good service.

Wow I didn't know they only made 2.75 before tips, that's really shitty. I'll deff tip now that I know how much they get paid. I was under the assumption that they got min wage plus all those tips.

I wish people just payed servers normal and there was no 'required tipping'.

I'm wondering how this practice ever started.
    Hi Sephurik

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    aw buttfuck
    No, you shouldn't do that as a tip either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Well, depends on what you view as right or wrong, but overall yes. Their salaries are severely shortened because of the expectation that they will receive some compensation for their services directly from the customer.
    The thing I dont understand is why tipping began to begin with. What was the idea behind the invention of tipping? And more importantly why should the customers be expected to make up for a business underpaying their employees? Why dont we DEMAND that they are paid at least minimum wage? And why ARE restaurants exempt from the minimum wage law? Nobody ever has an answer for these, they just say we have to tip because its the way it is and we have to supplement the servers income.

Also why should we base our tip on the cost of the food we order? The server does the EXACT same amount of work when I order a lobster tail and fillet mignon, as they do if I order a hotdog with fries. Yet Im expected to tip more on the day I order the lobster?
    Last edited by Orlong; 2013-05-18 at 10:31 PM.

if you don't tip at restaurants in the US you deserve to get food poisoning

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    The thing I dont understand is why tipping began to begin with. What was the idea behind the invention of tipping? And more importantly why should the customers be expected to make up for a business underpaying their employees? Why dont we DEMAND that they are paid at least minimum wage? And why ARE restaurants exempt from the minimum wage law? Nobody ever has an answer for these, they just say we have to tip because its the way it is and we have to supplement the servers income.
    Think about it this way, if the employer pays more to employees they have to generate more income to cover that larger expense, there fore the price of the meal goes up. Anyway you want to think about it you are paying for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Tipping developed as a way to try and encourage better service. Food at places where tipping is encouraged/expected is normally cheaper on the menu for the customer. If the service provided by the waitstaff is up to standard, a tip on top of the reduced food cost is encouraged/expected to make the price of the food cost what it would in a non-tipping location. Tips shouldn't be a guarantee. They should be determined by the effectiveness of waitstaff.

Whether you think those are valid reasons or not is up to you though. I generally tip a percentage based on performance, but I've never gone lower than 10-15% unless the service was horrendous.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will say this once to inform most people as it seems to be a rampant issue. In most states and areas there is protection for servers. They will be compensated if they do not make enough tips up to minimum wage. It is illegal otherwise.

That being said they basically work a minimum wage job with the opportunity to make more and usually do.

I'am not a server, but i do work in a restaurant as a cook,most of the people in this post are correct, servers make shit, and you should tip them, it can get pretty rough for them if they don't receive it, besides making $2 something an hour, they also have to tip out the bus boys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Wow I didn't know they only made 2.75 before tips, that's really shitty. I'll deff tip now that I know how much they get paid. I was under the assumption that they got min wage plus all those tips.

I wish people just payed servers normal and there was no 'required tipping'.

I'm wondering how this practice ever started.
    No no no. Don't fall for this they WILL make at least minimum wage. And often make much more due to tipping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sills View Post
    If the OP was from a European nation I would say that it is alright to not tip, because they get paid like every other employee does. In the US (or 'Murrrica' as the OP likes to say) serving staff make ridiculously low wages with the expectation that they will receive additional compensation from guests. Now, I have had times where I didnt tip when the service was truly awful, but I always ensure I leave at least 15% tip.

In short, yes, OP it is wrong that you do not tip. They provide you a service and (generally) work hard and deserve to put a little food on their table and a roof over their head.
    In the USA, servers are paid below minimum wage, however what most people either dont know or refuse to consider when they decide to leave a tip or not, is that if they do not receive enough tips to equal minimum wage pay, then the restaurant has to make up the difference to ensure they get minimum wage, so dont feel bad not tipping. They still get at least minimum wage whether you tip or not

Deleted
    I'm with Mr Pink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    Illegal amounts, if you don't count their tips. Very classy of you, to effectively support slave labor.

If they're being paid real wages, your steak will cost even more. If you're ok with that, great. But you have to work in the current system in the meantime.

Seriously, go work as a waiter, get paid $2.15 an hour, refuse all tips, and try to live for a month. Try to get some of your basic humanity/decency back.

It is sociopathic to just ignore tipping if you're in the US.
    In at least the states I live in you would just be living off minimum wage at that point. People struggle by with that already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malist View Post
    I will say this once to inform most people as it seems to be a rampant issue. In most states and areas there is protection for servers. They will be compensated if they do not make enough tips up to minimum wage. It is illegal otherwise.

That being said they basically work a minimum wage job with the opportunity to make more and usually do.
    While this is true, it's a tricky situation. Employers are responsible to meet minimum wage requirements if tips don't make up the difference, but tips are also required to be claimed as income so they can be taxed. I would say a good portion of waiters/waitresses/bartenders/etc don't claim their tips. Taking your employer to court over not getting their wages bumped to minimum would open themselves up to not claiming tip money as income. You'd really have to weigh the situation to see if it's worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Assuming you live in a society where tipping is the norm, yes it is wrong.

Here is the tipping system:
    Pro- you get pay the service employee based on their performance, creating an incentive for them to serve you better
    Con- you have to do grade school math when you go out.
    In order to benefit from your pro, you need to be a regular customer. If you only eat somewhere once every couple months, your server isnt going to remember you as someone who tips well. They also wont remember if you shafted them 2 months ago when you ate there

I tip if I feel the service I have received warrants a tip. This is in the UK, so it's not so mandatory to tip. It's an added extra for people going over and above the basics of their job.

It also depends on the situation. If I order I drink that I know is a pain in the arse in a bar then as long as they don't make a complete hash of it they'll get a tip for making said pain in the arse drink. More if it's very good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, and one thing about bars. I ALWAYS tip my bartender. This way, they serve me before others lol In Manhattan, bars get pretty packed with a lot of people trying to get drinks at once. So if I tip my bartender, they usually want to serve me first because they know they'll get a tip. It saves time standing like an idiot waiting to be served lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    While this is true, it's a tricky situation. Employers are responsible to meet minimum wage requirements if tips don't make up the difference, but tips are also required to be claimed as income so they can be taxed. I would say a good portion of waiters/waitresses/bartenders/etc don't claim their tips. Taking your employer to court over not getting their wages bumped to minimum would open themselves up to not claiming tip money as income. You'd really have to weigh the situation to see if it's worth it.
    Yes but that is a situation they get themselves in. There should be no pity for this job. Due to their wages or tips. They will at least get minimum wage or higher. Not claiming tips and avoiding that coming to light is not an excuse.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    I have never tipped a dime in my life. Why do people feel obligated to get money as if i'm already going to give it to them?

Usually the task they're doing requires no brain work at all, so why should I reward you?

I just frustrates me. Am I wrong to thing this?
    Yes, it's wrong. I bet the task you do at work requires no brain work, either. Is it fair to pay you $2.13 an hour?
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

I generally try to tip. Especially in places that I visit often.