Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrum View Post
    Are you doing anything else to try and improve your life and get a better job? One of the reasons why America is pretty nice is you can make something of yourself if you truly want to. I mean shit is rough yeah, but a lot of times people use that as motivation to get where they want to be. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying welfare is a bad thing, because it's not, but when you have people abusing a system meant to help people get back on their feet, then that's where I find an issue.
    What part of "the abusers are part of an extreme minority" escapes you and the rest of the propagandized masses, exactly?

---------- Post added 2013-05-19 at 07:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    GOd Forbid one of the ONLY things we are on the same page on and you show up late!

So classy you are!
    A wizard is never late. He arrives exactly when he means to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Or they ban people from taking low paying jobs that can't support themselves unless they have someone who claims them as a dependent and provides that support. Then the company can either fill the positions with dependents or increases the wage of the positions. Their are plenty of people who do not need a living wage, and plenty of jobs that shouldn't require it.

Effectively a strike until the wage is increased.
    Not everyone can get a high paying job though

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who has worked in the grocery business for the last year, I am all for it. Make drug tests required for anyone applying. I have seen so many people trade foodstamp cash for real money to buy drugs.

These people who don't work come in and buy 500$ in frozen pizzas and potato chips in one run while the hardworking class that can't get them barely scrape by.

The worst part is when someone buys all that food with food stamps and then spends 100$ on Cigarettes for the week.
    I'm just here to complain, if I'm being honest

Quote Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
    I know a lot of people who use foodstamps to get by ...this is so stupid and pisses me off because of how bloated the defense budget is ..or how over paid those morons in washington are .
    People in Washington being overpaid I totally agree with, they are public servants and should act as such, but honestly the defense budget is the bread and butter of America. Pay the people in the military the same if not better......defense of the country, if there is active war or not should come first.

And Spectral, totally didn't see the other post, my bad yo.

10+ Year Old Account
    People in Washington being overpaid I totally agree with, they are public servants and should act as such, but honestly the defense budget is the bread and butter of America. Pay the people in the military the same if not better......defense of the country, if there is active war or not should come first.

And Spectral, totally didn't see the other post, my bad yo.
    Pardon? So you think public servants should live in borderline poverty?

Fun Fact: An ill-paid bureaucracy makes for a corrupt bureaucracy.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post

Talked to a few senators at the Iowa House. They make about 34,000 a session down there. Assuming federal reps make more, it probably could survive a minor cut at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Talked to a few senators at the Iowa House. They make about 34,000 a session down there. Assuming federal reps make more, it probably could survive a minor cut at best.
    And I disagree. Making it well-paid is critical for attracting educated individuals.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I disagree. Making it well-paid is critical for attracting educated individuals.

Unfortunately, not all of them are educated.

Chuck Grasselys grandson is in the Iowa House and he is around my age 21-24 and serving and getting that money. But then again, I could just be envious of him. (He attended the same college I am in at the time he was elected.)

Because calling out anecdotal evidence as the bullshit it is isn't reasonable at all, right?
    1. Because he would refute any data, because that's what people on this board do. There's no "discussion", it's "How many pieces of data that support my argument can I come up with before the other side just gives up?". He'd find something that supported his argument, find something wrong with how the data was gathered, or say there was an "agenda".

2. We all know it happens on a substantial level. The child-like ideology that the majority receiving welfare benefits are good honest people, and the people who aren't are a small % is silly, and that you need any data to prove that it isn't happening on a substantial level is laughable.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    http://prospect.org/article/food-stamps-get-licked-cuts

Why is it always welfare programs and schooling that get cut first by politicians and not the over-bloated DoD?

Some interesting numbers from the article:

Major reform is needed within the budget, this is true, however not at the expense of our people. Cut funding from the DoD as well as from all the salaries of the politicians.
    Why? Because people with no money have no power and no will to fight back when they get treated like shit.
    And poor people don't have any billion dollar lobbyists.

And as someone who previously word for Social Security (SSA), a well-paid workforce still leads to corruption and inept labor. The AFGE union defends an employee who tried to knife another employee, got the job back for someone who was writing his grandma extra checks and files complaints against management when they try and motivate an employee to process an award for a disabled applicant who already had to wait over 14months to have a hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Monstercloud View Post
    So the solution is to just make everything bad for you more expensive?

How's that working for you smokers?
    Actually, the very high cigarette taxes in New York City have resulted in a substantial decrease in smoking.

In my area most of the Government reps and higherups were already well established before even running for office, many have ownership in a business that is well enough off to allow them to pursue office

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you doing anything else to try and improve your life and get a better job? One of the reasons why America is pretty nice is you can make something of yourself if you truly want to. I mean shit is rough yeah, but a lot of times people use that as motivation to get where they want to be. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying welfare is a bad thing, because it's not, but when you have people abusing a system meant to help people get back on their feet, then that's where I find an issue.
    The real killers of your country are the people who already have all the money and power. Not poor people on welfare.

I think the legit ones would. And ill-paid bureaucracy doesn't make for a corrupt one, corrupt people make for a corrupt bureaucracy......and that's the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Because he would refute any data, because that's what people on this board do. There's no "discussion", it's "How many pieces of data that support my argument can I come up with before the other side just gives up?". He'd find something that supported his argument, find something wrong with how the data was gathered, or say there was an "agenda".

2. We all know it happens on a substantial level. The child-like ideology that the majority receiving welfare benefits are good honest people, and the people who aren't are a small % is silly, and that you need any data to prove that it isn't happening on a substantial level is laughable.
    Isn't presenting data, and either refuting or embracing that data the whole point of "Discussion"?

Also, It's not nice to generalize how I will react to data based on your experience with others.

THe reason I asked for data, is simply because I know there isn't a legitminate way to idenify people who suppousdly "abuse" the system much less record them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Always attacking they symptoms, never the problem....

How about they fix the problem where people get paid so little while working that they need food stamps to survive, then this problem would solve itself....

Yes, I work, yes, I am on food stamps, about to get it raised to the full $200 per month soon when I move out on my own again. Don't like me on it? Fine, force jobs to pay a livable paycheck where we don't need it to survive. If you can't do that, I have to do something to supplement my allowance since my job refuses to give me a paycheck and I am not trying to live 3 generations under one house just to make ends meet.

Step 1) Force jobs to employ people at a wage that allows them to support themselves without government aid.
    Step 2) Force jobs to no longer cut hours or wages below that point.
    Step 3) Profit.

We have people working 40 hours and still not able to support themselves without food stamps, that should never be an issue. We have managers who make what in 1968 would be considered minimum wage after inflation. THAT is the issue.

You fix the divide between rich and poor, you fix the employment issues, this becomes even less than a non-issue, this becomes a non-existent issue. Till then, these issues are along the lines of cutting off a leg over getting a charlie horse instead of just walking it out.
    This ^
    10/char

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have such a cynical view of it, why do you bother posting here?

"We all know" does not constitute actual evidence. The fact of the matter is that none of the anti-public assistance monkeys have managed to provide anything but case studies and anecdotal evidence to support their opinion that the number of welfare abusers is anything but a small minority of the population and of the number of people who receive government assistance as part or all of their income in any form.

"All those leeching of the system" are in an extreme minority. Most people that use welfare/unemployment, etc. use it as it was intended and cycle out of it eventually.
    You have some stats to go with what you are saying?........

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brangh View Post
    And as someone who previously word for Social Security (SSA), a well-paid workforce still leads to corruption and inept labor. The AFGE union defends an employee who tried to knife another employee, got the job back for someone who was writing his grandma extra checks and files complaints against management when they try and motivate an employee to process an award for a disabled applicant who already had to wait over 14months to have a hearing.
    For the last time.

Anecdotal evidence is not statistically valid.

---------- Post added 2013-05-19 at 07:21 PM ----------

You have some stats to go with what you are saying?........
    Considering none of the anti-public assistance monkeys have managed to provide anything beyond anecdotes, I don't feel obligated to. But here:

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/legacy...2/6-11find.htm

The summary of this link is essentially the total of unemployment payments attributable to defrauding the system accounts for less than 2% of all payments.