Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Just finished high school & free till uni - productive things to do over summer?

Hey guys,

I've just finished high school and I'm free over 3 months now until I start university. Other than student visa applications, I'm largely going to be free during summer and was wondering about some productive things I could do during this break. I do have stuff planned, such as catching up with a lot of shows I've missed such as GoT, but I was thinking about doing something which would possibly benefit me for the future in some way. I've read suggestions elsewhere about reading a lot more, but are there any other things I can do too?

Do you have money to spend? Seems like a good time to travel somewhere.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Some kind of sporting hobby? Getting fitter/stronger only brings benefits and its fun

Exercise. Travel. Take up a language. Learn to do something, a skill, a talent, something that you've wanted to do but never got around to it. Cook, build, program etc. Something new. Acquiring skills is always worth it.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Here are a few things I'd do:

If you know where you're going to for college and you know what you're going into (or even what you want to start in to wet your feet), go talk to your counselor about what classes would be best to take and in what order. Ask them everything you can about that given school (not the university itself, but rather the program you'll be in), and get to know who some of the professors are that you'll likely take those classes from.

While you're there, ask about ANY internship opportunities that relate to the field you're interested in. Even if you end up changing it later, it's best to get an internship and get some experience in. It looks good on ANY resume or CV. On that note, ask them if your college has a place to give you instructions on good CV and resume creation. For example, my university has an entire office of people for helping students with networking, CV / resume creation, job interview practice, etc.

Don't let anyone tell you that college is a daunting, difficult task. It's not. Don't wade around in the kiddy pool, if you will. 12 credit hours is, for most universities, a full time schedule, and it's really, really easy to maintain. When I first started, I only took like...five credit hours, because everyone was telling me "College gets rough, real life starts." Yeah, no. It's not hard at all. You go there to learn how to learn, how to manage your time, and how to study. Getting the A's and B's is cake. You're there to learn about yourself and what you're looking to go into for the future.

If you've a lot of free time and you're finding yourself bored over the summer, take a look at taking a summer class or two. Nothing major and nothing that'll take up time from your summer break. Just get a feel for how things work and what will be expected of you. Maybe take a couple courses that sound interesting relating to the major you're thinking about.

Oh, and while you're at it, take a look at any exams you might have to take should you be thinking about grad school, such as the MCAT, GRE, etc. and get an idea of what they're like. I wish I'd known about the GRE earlier. Would have made life a little easier after having graduated.

Lastly, if you haven't already registered, look into doing that as early as possible. That'll be something your counselor can help you with. Early registration means you get the classes you want in the time slots you want. A good thing to look at too, are the types of classes that grad schools are interested in when you apply. For example, I'm going into Neuroscience. I meet all the requirements, got the grades, did research, etc etc. but there are a few "recommended" classes they list that I wish I'd taken. Take those recommended classes as early as you can, because some of them have a lot of prerequisites for entry. A lot of fields are going to suggest things like chemistry, calculus, physics, anatomy, statistics and biology. Those are always good classes to take regardless of your major.

Long read, I know, but I wish I'd had someone to tell me things like this when I'd first started college. I'm in a bit of a rough spot at the moment because a lot of colleges are rather...blasé about leading their students in the right direction, assuming you already know what and who to ask, or just don't help at all. Don't waste your summer by sitting around or whatnot. Do things like this as early as possible. It sounds like a lot, but you could get all this information in a few days at the very most, and that's time well spent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do something constructive. Build something. Maybe a moped.
    Hi

Go volunteer with a local charity or something like that, maybe even look on a bigger scale.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

15+ Year Old Account
    do a trip, you don´t need much money if you don´t care much for standards
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

-learn to feed yourself
    -learn to excercise properly and regularly
    -learn to avoid peer pressure & to be assertive
    -learn to learn on your own

do all these things and you will have a successful, happy, rich life.

15+ Year Old Account
    - earn some money
    - volunteering for some charity/something else
    - learn to live on your own

That's what I'd say is important if you want to do things that will benefit you later on.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

I just graduated too, on the 13th this month though.
    This summer I'm going up to Alaska to work with my Uncle for a second time, bringing the girlfriend along too. Gives us time to see how things would be on our own together and earn tons of money doing it When I get back, I plan on studying extensively for the asvab and shootin' for intelligence.
    During all that I'm going to be working out pretty hardcore, more so than I normally do. Can never be too fit going into bootcamp, and eventually through officer's school, it'll pay off and I'll thank myself one day.

Getting in shape is always a good thing.
    Study for whatever it is you plan on doing for a career, make sure you smash your classes to peices and its a walk in the park for you if you can prepare in advance.
    Win that game of life at university, then play the next level after that.
    Watch some shows like you said, pick up a hobby, something that involves being outside atleast a little.
    Do some yardwork, grow some strawberries or something.
    Find a way to make a little money on the side, or get a job altogether.

Deleted
    #1 If you have money -> Travel!
    #2 If you don't have money -> Find job for 2 months.
    #3 After 2 months see #1

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Reach max level in as many free mmo as you can
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Donate your body to science.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimli View Post
    but I was thinking about doing something which would possibly benefit me for the future in some way.
    You want to know what you can do this summer that benefit you the most in the future? It's quite simple. Go crazy, but within reason.

Do whatever it is that your heart desires. Go snorkeling in the Florida keys with a mostly naked chick that doesn't understand a word you say. Climb a volcano while it is active. Do the closest thing you can to a HALO jump, just pull your cord AFTER the alarm goes off. Find the largest, craziest mountain that most climbers wont climb and climb it.

But seriously put your life on the line. You are young. You NEED to feel that rush. If you wingsuit off of Big Ben and crash land in the Themes, then so be it. You'll still be alive (hopefully), though facing hefty fines, but you will have done something that nobody else has done. Define yourself! Do something that makes you feel like you are YOU!

You have time to figure that out. Just don't take too much time to figure that out. You only have a summer to figure out and then do it.

But do SOMETHING!

You are at the age where what you do now will create the person you are going to be when you are a "responsible" adult. Just don't be too responsible, and don't be too adult. Just be who you want to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Find a job and work. Take your first step in creating a network of resources and references that will be essential to post-University life.

Also, don't take for granted actually having the ability to attend University. Given the opportunity I would gladly drop my full time job to go to school full time. Don't take for granted the ability to do just that.

Deleted
    go to the gym

10+ Year Old Account
    If possible, do EVERYTHING you wish to do now. Once you're in college and past that stage, there is no more summer vacation breaks, unless you want to play the unemployed card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Live life, fall in love. Relax.
    Hi

Have fun. Several months of freedom becomes pretty scarce from now on.