Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Jodi Arias Trial: Penalty Phase

So who thinks she's going to get cooked, despite her best self-indulgent and passive-aggressive efforts to the contrary? She tried to make the argument that if left alive she can be a force for good inside of the prison, by helping other women learn how to read and selling t-shirts to help victims of domestic violence, ironically.

She even had the nerve to argue that if she goes to death row then the jurors will be just as guilty as she is because they will have put her family through the same pain that she put Travis's family through. Disgusting.

Lawyers are giving closing arguments in penalty phase now...sounds like her defense team is giving a pretty stock and standard anti-death penalty argument. Think the jury will buy it?

I am not really a fan of the death penalty however she should probably get the worse penalty there is.

Well, she does have a point about the death penalty. It punishes her family the most, not herself.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly think theres more to the story.

That and she is attractive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Well, she does have a point about the death penalty. It punishes her family the most, not herself.
    If she cared that much about her family then she should have thought of the consequences about tearing another family apart by butchering their son.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    If she cared that much about her family then she should have thought of the consequences about tearing another family apart by butchering their son.
    Even so Death Penalty doesn't really change anything. It won't bring the boyfriend back.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

she's being tried in the county that elects arpiao year after year. she's dead
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't she say that death was the ultimete freedom?

Who's on trial? Jodi Aria or her family?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Didn't she say that death was the ultimete freedom?
    Yes. Right before she did an about-face today and proceeded to beg the jury for her life earlier today.

---------- Post added 2013-05-21 at 04:38 PM ----------

Who's on trial? Jodi Aria or her family?
    Jodi Arias. If her family will be hurt by the consequences she wrought on herself she should have thought of it before she acted.

Deleted
    How about life in solitary ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Her death won't bring anyone back.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Her death won't bring anyone back.
    The penalty phase of this trial is a legal one, not a moral or emotional one.

Its reverse psychology at is best. Her lawyers want life, she wants death. By pleading for life, it makes her lawyers happy. The jury will see death as a punishment, so Arias is happy if it is chosen. Its win/win.

The penalty phase of this trial is a legal one, not a moral or emotional one.
    I'm just hoping she gets what she 'deserves', and not the victims vengeance. It's so easy to forget that the justice system is not about revenge. With that said, the US still has states with the death penalty so I have no idea what will happen (assuming she is being on trial in one that has the death penalty).
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2013-05-21 at 08:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just hoping she gets what she 'deserves', and not the victims vengeance. It's so easy to forget that the justice system is not about revenge.
    Actually the penalty phase of a trial is about revenge. It's the consequences that society and victims bring on criminals. If it weren't about revenge in some way we'd have just told her we forgive her and put her back on the street.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually the penalty phase of a trial is about revenge. It's the consequences that society and victims bring on criminals. If it weren't about revenge in some way we'd have just told her we forgive her and put her back on the street.
    No, we would lock her up for such a heinous crime. That's stupidity not Justice. As I said her death will only please her and won't bring anyone back.

Warrior-Magi

I know that some states in the US are a little behind. They're too focused on vengeance, when they should be more focused on correction. I'm not at all suggesting to let them roam free, I'm just more interested in correcting the behavior. Which is something that requires a bit more effort from our side than just throwing away the key or putting them to death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    No, we would lock her up for such a heinous crime. That's stupidity not Justice. As I said her death will only please her and won't bring anyone back.
    Well what pleases her or passes for necromancy is not the focus of the penalty phase of this trial.

I'm only interested in finding out if people think the jury will buy the prosecutor's case for the death penalty based on how he established facts that satisfied the requirements for such punishment under the law of the state of Arizona. Your philosophical, moral, or otherwise irrelevant opinions on the death penalty do not interest me.

---------- Post added 2013-05-21 at 04:57 PM ----------

I know that some states in the US are a little behind. They're too focused on vengeance, when they should be more focused on correction. I'm not at all suggesting to let them roam free, I'm just more interested in correcting the behavior. Which is something that requires a bit more effort from our side than just throwing away the key or putting them to death.
    How can one hope to correct her behavior now without some kind of a time machine? Jodi Arias is not a psychopath who can be cured with psychiatry and pills. She's a woman who knowingly entered into a jealous rage and willingly ripped her boyfriend to shreds with malice and forethought. There was no presentation of a temporary insanity defense or any signs at all that she is or was mentally ill in any way at all.
    Last edited by RicardoZ; 2013-05-21 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well what pleases her or passes for necromancy is not the focus of the penalty phase of this trial.

I'm only interested in finding out if people think the jury will buy the prosecutor's case for the death penalty based on how he established facts that satisfied the requirements for such punishment under the law of the state of Arizona. Your philosophical, moral, or otherwise irrelevant opinions on the death penalty do not interest me.
    Then why post a thread if you don't want other people's moral or philosophical ideals.

Warrior-Magi