Thread: Paypal question

Paypal question

I've looked around and can't seem to find my answer. Perhaps I am blind.. I don't use paypal often and I just made a sale for 56 dollars. Does paypal take a cut from that? If so, how much are they going to take about? What exactly is the percentage they take.

Yes, they charge fees as their cut.

"Sell

For each domestic payment you receive, a small transaction fee of 2.4% of the total sale plus a fixed fee of $0.30 will be taken from your received funds. If you sell a lot, you can apply for our discounted merchant rates.
    Discounted merchant rate
    As low as 1.1% plus $0.30, based on monthly sales volume
    International sales
    3.4% plus a fixed fee based on the currency received. Additional fees may apply for international payments, currency conversions and other transactions.

Some products, like Payflow, Virtual Terminal, and Website Payments Pro – Hosted Solution, are also subject to a monthly fee."

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Conversely, unless they've recently changed it, the buyer can be prompted to use the "gift" option which does not deduct a fee from the seller. Otherwise, just add in an extra 2% on your next transaction if it bugs you.

If you sell on eBay I think it is quite ridiculous that they take a fee for the amount (via paypal) and then eBay takes a fee. They're both eBay companies so why do they need to double dip fees?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    If you sell on eBay I think it is quite ridiculous that they take a fee for the amount (via paypal) and then eBay takes a fee. They're both eBay companies so why do they need to double dip fees?
    Fees are often taken by a payment handler, so why should paypal be some exception to that ?

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Fees are often taken by a payment handler, so why should paypal be some exception to that ?
    eBay pretty much forces you to use their own payment service, paypal, charges you up to 10% of the sale, plus a 2-3% extra for using their own payment service they all but force you to use.
    Last edited by Themius; 2013-05-25 at 09:42 PM.