Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should you take protein supplements while:

On a weight loss diet?
    I don't take any supplements at all.
    I have been on a diet for a few weeks now, lost a few kilos and am going strong.
    I was wondering if it is a good idea to take say a low carb protein shake as a meal replacement?

Thanks for all your time and help.

You can easily do it without

BUT, for me personally, I think it helps alot. It fills me up and is cheap where i live (for high-protein food) and I also like the taste (Dymatize Elite Whey - Rich Chocolate or something along those lines)

Deleted
    It can't hurt as long as it replaces a meal. Oh and good luck with the diet

Deleted
    absolutely not,if you're not an athlete you should not take athletic supplements of any kind and going to the gym 3-4 times a week does not make you an athlete.

For me, protein shakes are a lifesaver. I've got a big weakness for ice cream, always have, but that's something I should avoid like the plague! However, a protein shake, an ice cream maker and some fruit = cravings satisfied :-)

I can particularly recommend a strawberry protein shake + blueberries ... the "ice cream" it makes is fantastic and really good for you :-)

Just heat the blueberries in a pan with a little water (and a bit of maple syrup if they're a bit sharp) just until they soften and start to burst.

Quote Originally Posted by vassilisz View Post
    absolutely not,if you're not an athlete you should not take athletic supplements of any kind and going to the gym 3-4 times a week does not make you an athlete.
    Actually whey protein isn't an athletic supplement, it's a dietary supplement; I know several people who've had their doctors recommend whey protein for a variety of reasons.
    Last edited by Aliessil; 2013-06-10 at 12:36 PM.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bodybuilding.com has a lot of good resources.

I do use them when I'm dieting as well. Though I never 'replace' it with an entire meal. I'd go mad hungry.

Watch the American show Extreme weight loss ... you do not need any supplements ...just will power my friend .

Bodybuilding.com has all thr info u need
    if course u should take a protein supplement if youre not reaching your goal intake (whether you're cutting or bulking, everyone should be consuming 1-1.5g of protein per pound of lean body mass. No it won't be making u a meathead. Coupled with heavy compound movements and a sensible calorie deficit of 300-500 calories, u can expect to hold onto as much muscle (and possibly even gain size) when u lose weight otherwise u may end up skinnyfat (skinny frame but flabby, no definition)

10+ Year Old Account
    Asking for nutritional/fitness advice on a MMO forum is like asking for healthy food at McDonald's.
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Protein shake as a meal replacement can lead to a weight gain if you're not careful. The problem is that your shake contains a lot of sugar (milk and fruits), may contains some saturated fat, and almost no fibers. Unless you make yourself a HUGE protein shake (high calories unfortunately), you will most probably be hungry again 1h later! And depending on what you use (skim milk/2%/cream/ice cream), it can be either fattening (saturated fat is BAD) or not very nutritious (skim milk has no sat fat but also no GOOD fat, just sugar and vitamins). Something you can do is add oatmeal in your protein shake to make it more fulfilling but you might have to reduce the size of your shake. Another problem is the more sweet it is (including the protein power with sweetener), the more insulin you start to generate. Insulin negates fat digestion! So basically you're just giving your body a chance to store all the unused fat into your belly/butt hehe.

To be honest, you would better off eating small/medium sized meals with 50% protein/fat (not saturated of course!), 25% complex carbs, and 25% veggies.

Remember, saturated fat and sugar are your enemy when trying to lose weight. The more you can avoid them, the faster you will lose weight!

Source: Lost 85 pounds in 1 year (6" 175 pounds now!) following my nutritionist advice and reading on the Web

Probably the most interesting read I came across (you have to adjust a little bit since you're not a boxer hehe): http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-t...se-boxing-diet
    "The Internet, where the men are men, the women are also men, and the children are FBI agents."

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    On a weight loss diet?
    I don't take any supplements at all.
    I have been on a diet for a few weeks now, lost a few kilos and am going strong.
    I was wondering if it is a good idea to take say a low carb protein shake as a meal replacement?

Thanks for all your time and help.
    Protein supplement help us build more muscles and also used to gain weight. If your trying to lose weight, better not to take protein supplement. Ask your gym instructor will also help you to get more information regarding this matter.

unless you do training or strain your muscles somehow else, you should not do this.

Only thing that happens is that it counters your diet plan.

Deleted
    It's amusing how people still can be so misinformed.

It's quite impossible to give you a direct answer to your question. Yes, it might be a good idea and no, it might a bad idea. It all comes down to how the rest of your diet fits together and what your end goal might be. If your just looking to drop weight without the thought of preserving muscle mass, then protein supplementation is just a very expensive meal replacement. However, if you have build some decent muscle mass that you have hopes of preserving as much as possible, then yes it might be a good idea if you are having trouble getting enough protein through your diet while maintaining a caloric deficit.

Also, if your having trouble staying away from sweets and such likes, Whey protein can be a good solution to make some healthy snacks to keep you away from the bad stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends entirely on what your diet consists of right now. If you are already getting your daily protein requirements through food, you don't need any more. Now if you want to start replacing a meal or adding muscle, extra protein can be beneficial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but make sure you find a protein that is low on carbs and sugar. Most protein shakes contain a good amount of carbs, but if you go to a local vitamin Shoppe, they'll surely have a selection of low carb/sugar protein drinks. The reason why you don't want the normal kind is because you really don't want to be consuming too many carbs when losing weight. Unless you're trying to build actual muscle at the same process, don't bother with carb/sugar filled protein shakes. Losing weight is really really really easy... the only advice I can give you is to learn how your body absorbs micro-nutrients... when you realize how your body adjusts to slow vs fast carbs, then you can start planning your meals accordingly... I prefer to run in the morning before eating anything because my body will burn fat that was stored rather than carbs that i just consumed prior to the run.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marthsk View Post
    Asking for nutritional/fitness advice on a MMO forum is like asking for healthy food at McDonald's.
    suggesting all people who play mmos are fat basement dwelling neckbeards

also mcdonalds has salad yogurt and water....unless youre one of THOSE people who think when they as would you like that super size? they pull out a gun and say BITCH YOU BEST FUCKING EAT THIS OR WE KILL YOUR PETS YOUR FAMILY THEN YOU SO EAT IT TUBBS
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marthsk View Post
    So just because its a MMO forum it means that people cant know anything about nutrition or fitness?
    Thats probably the dumbest thing i've ever heard.
    You can get idiots on any forums spreading false information.
    Just because the forum is called bodybuilding.com doesnt mean all info there is correct.

Back on topic: If you can get enough protein from your diet, there is no point in getting protein powder.
    Last edited by Wiizper; 2013-06-10 at 04:44 PM.

Lol at people still under the misconception of "protein powder hurr durr look at my big musclez"
    Seriously, you need more than just protein to add muscle, u need to eat more than what your body needs everyday plus lift. OP never said he lifts, even if he doesnt he should still consume 1-1.5g of protein per pound of lean body mass. It doesn't mean he has to have the supplement but it does make it easier to reach your intake ... and no, its not going to counter your diet, whether its low carb or high carb, as long as you're in a deficit at the end of the day you'll lose weight

Personal preference really.

I found early on in my diet, that the extra food I was eating on workout days was stalling me, but without it I couldn't exercise very much without feeling a bit feint. Protein shakes hit the spot. I would have one 30-60 minutes before a workout and it gave me the energy I needed train normally without effecting my diet.

That being said, they're far from required. I could probably have been more selective about what I was eating on workout days, but found the Protein shakes to be the easiest option. Only having 1 a day, it was hardly expensive. If you start having 3 a day, then the cost might start to add up!