Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Liquid Cooled Laptop

Just curious, who thinks this would be a neat concept? Heat's always been an issue with laptops. I feel like a cleverly placed radiator behind like the screen of the laptop or something would be so much cooler. I can't imagine it'd be amazing, but it can't get much worse than what it has now.

nah laptops get dropped you drop a watercooled laptop and thats gg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skeebopshapow View Post
    nah laptops get dropped you drop a watercooled laptop and thats gg
    What if you acturally care about your laptop?

It sounds like a nice concept, but I doubt anyone is gonna try it :/
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I would love to see it to be honest...

I think there would be a market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

It is a great idea, but there is just not enough room in a laptop for a radiator anywhere. Do you really want a screen that needs to be an inch and a half thick to dissipate that heat? Another thing to note, if you have the radiator up there, is the mechanical stress and strain on opening and closing the lid. What do you think will happen to your water tubes after a few months of being opened and closed.

Having a laptop with water cooling would be awesome, but if you had to baby it and be super meticulous when you move it around and use it, you might as well have a small desktop PC...

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    What if you acturally care about your laptop?

It sounds like a nice concept, but I doubt anyone is gonna try it :/

hahaha yeah because mistakes never happen

I see no reason why it wouldn't be viable. The liquid you should be using for 'water-cooled' computers is non-conductive so even if there was a rupture, it would be more likely that the cause of the rupture (drop?) would break the computer regardless of the leak.

The barriers to this cooling method that I can imagine include maintaining a slim profile with the added water pump an radiator. Plus the natural fear that "liquid" and electronics are not friends would be a marketing nightmare.

You can google 'liquid cooled laptop' and find some interesting makeshift builds.

I'd like to see the concept, and I'm sure someone has tried. I'm a bit uncertain about how it would actually work though; Especially with radiators. You'd basically want half the bottom portion of your laptop to be finned, and then the laptop itself had to be quite thick in the "base" so to allow fans and radiators to fit.
    Then add the hardware, and the pump and the reservoir (although, it'd most likely HAVE to be closed-loop, so might be unnecessary with the res), unlike you went with an external res mounted on "top/behind" of the screen.
    But then it would be hard to put in bags and whatnot, unless it'd be perfectly square, the size of your laptop and slightly thinner.

And how much power does a pump require btw? (And where do they get the power from in a desktop, btw? The PSU?)
    Batterylife and brick-size would suffer.

I think the concept is fantastic. I like it. It is very possible, but it would likely be a notebook that wouldn't exactly be.. an Ultrabook/MBA, shall we say? :P
    So I say it won't be done. And it'd have to be in a desktop replacement (akin to the i7-980x and whatnot that's been found), since it wouldn't be "needed" to the same degree.

A fucking cool idea. I love laptops, but heat is a problem. I have room in my second hard drive bay for something, with easy access to the GPU and CPU heat sink/heat pipes. That'd be so awesome to stick a watercooling rig in there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeiss View Post
    I see no reason why it wouldn't be viable. The liquid you should be using for 'water-cooled' computers is non-conductive so even if there was a rupture, it would be more likely that the cause of the rupture (drop?) would break the computer regardless of the leak.

The barriers to this cooling method that I can imagine include maintaining a slim profile with the added water pump an radiator. Plus the natural fear that "liquid" and electronics are not friends would be a marketing nightmare.

You can google 'liquid cooled laptop' and find some interesting makeshift builds.
    Distilled water is non-conductive but only to a point. It will start collecting crap when in use and become conductive when there's enough impurities. So it's essentially truely non-conductive only in the bottle.

This would be nonetheless a cool concept. I don't think it would be any more effective cooling wise as air cooling though. Unless you increased the size of the laptop, which would in my opinion, neglect the idea of portable pc. Maybe an external liquid cooling unit you could carry around and plug in?

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't we have bladeless fan technology already? Why hasn't this been implemented into things like case fans and whatnot...

Only problem with this is that radiators perform according to how much surface area they have.
    Wich is kinda limited on a laptop, the whole surface area thing that is.
    If it were to be made you would need some radiators that could dissipate heat amazingly fast.
    Its unlikely until we find a synthetic substance that can absorb heat better than water, but at the same time Release the heat.

Wich is wish thinking :]

I would love to see someone try, i mean either that or someone making custom cooling on laptops.

Edit: You could make a waterproof laptop, and fill it up with babyoil as long you have ssd's LOL

It would spread the heat and make it somewhat cooler i suppose
    Last edited by Maruii; 2012-01-10 at 11:42 PM.
    Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.

Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Just curious, who thinks this would be a neat concept? Heat's always been an issue with laptops. I feel like a cleverly placed radiator behind like the screen of the laptop or something would be so much cooler. I can't imagine it'd be amazing, but it can't get much worse than what it has now.
    Sure I Love the idea!!! But just let me know how you want to fit a Radiator, a Pump, a reservoir ...atleast one high static pressure Fan to exhaust the hot air,tubing, waterblock , all in a small form factor!.......... Im curious And the whole system would have to be FAIL proof!
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2012-01-10 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I was thinking a thinner rad would require a less powerful fan to move air through it, while compromising some heating capability. I'm not sure on all the details guys, just conceptually speaking it seems like it'd be a good idea. x3 I'd try it, but I don't have the money.

Well, I was thinking a thinner rad would require a less powerful fan to move air through it, while compromising some heating capability. I'm not sure on all the details guys, just conceptually speaking it seems like it'd be a good idea. x3 I'd try it, but I don't have the money.
    Yeah, I mean, hell, it doesn't have to be full-sized. Laptop components are small form factor anyway, this idea would be no different. Even very small components would have an impact on temperature, and open up possibilities for overclocking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Yeah, I mean, hell, it doesn't have to be full-sized. Laptop components are small form factor anyway, this idea would be no different. Even very small components would have an impact on temperature, and open up possibilities for overclocking.
    I feel like there's plenty of ways you could situate tubing to make it fit. Instead of circular tubing, you could use a more square version, which would facilitate the flow of water without being as high profile. (You wouldn't be able to use this on the joint as it would crease.) For the joint, a telescopic metal tubing arm with a rubber sleeve of some sort would extend and retract as the laptop opened or closed.

The pump would be integrated into the resrad for a closed loop kind of system. The only thing I'm shaky about is where you'd mount the rad and fans.

Deleted
    I have the strange feeling die shrinks will kill heat issues before liquid cooling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gdjheo View Post
    I have the strange feeling die shrinks will kill heat issues before liquid cooling.
    How do die shrinks have anything to do with heating?

Deleted
    How do die shrinks have anything to do with heating?
    Lower wattage. Lower wattage = Less power used. Less power = less heat, longer battery life. If Liquid cooling was implemented i'd imagine it'd be on mobile workstations.

---------- Post added 2012-01-11 at 12:43 AM ----------

Like the toshiba toughbook or Panasonic's higher tier thinkpads.
    Last edited by mmocb27991e5d7; 2012-01-11 at 12:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gdjheo View Post
    Lower wattage. Lower wattage = Less power used. Less power = less heat, longer battery life. If Liquid cooling was implemented i'd imagine it'd be on mobile workstations.

---------- Post added 2012-01-11 at 12:43 AM ----------

Like the toshiba toughbook or Panasonic's higher tier thinkpads.
    Die shrinks don't decrease wattage? In fact, you fit MORE on the card. That's why you shrink the die.
    (Or so I'm lead to understand.)