Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tips for a Blood DK - Threat problems (WoL included)

Hello guys, I’m here for some tips for the OT of my 10man group.

We’re a semi-casual/friendly core progressing on the 1st boss, Jin’rokh Heroic.

The main concern here is that his threat seems really low.

I just can’t cast specials after a tank swap (for like 6-7 secs = just white hits). Even after that, a good Shield Slam / Revenge will pull the boss back to me. So, I’m losing a lot of damage…

He logged with his DPS gear/spec, but all I can remember is that he’s not using Fallen Crusader or STR Flask (made him try one on our last try tho) and aiming 7.5% hit/ 7.5% expertise.

Got some logs here, linked to our ‘best wipe’: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-xg...=10319&e=10612

I didn’t touch my DK on MOP, but looking at that log, my first impression was: too much HS and BB, too low DS and maybe RS(?).

Any tips about his rotation would be really nice.

Thanks in advance =D
    Violence awaits. You can burn with me in hell. Viva la hate!

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He seems to be using RS on the limit, could see more fights. Maybe try to save Dancing RW for the tank swamp. Taunt with a grip, have enough RP to spam Runic Strike, land the Dancing runic wep and then have taunt as a backup.

I can't really think of anything else tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugshock View Post
    I just can’t cast specials after a tank swap (for like 6-7 secs = just white hits). Even after that, a good Shield Slam / Revenge will pull the boss back to me. So, I’m losing a lot of damage…
    Or maybe you can't watch your threat? Are you ranking as tank or you're on boss' berserk timer? With Vengeance, even you weapon swings generate threat (how new!).

Stop even autoattacking and get Omen to show when you're safe to hit something, maybe not a high threat ability at first. Also, convince some of your hunters/rogues/paladins to aid him their tools, MD/ToT/HoSalv.

10+ Year Old Account
    @shise Thanks, will tell him to pool some RP for RS just after the taunt swap. Think he's popping DRW for the small time when I can get into buff-puddles. =)

@SirRaven
    I'm actually using Omen and watching my threat (thats why I'm sitting for like 7 secs doing nothing), thanks.

I'm not ranking and we're not meeting the berserker time (lots of players are dead after 2nd transition). Since we're progressing, and people are dying to lightning balls, I think that any wasted damage will be needed at the and (10%HP wipe @ WoL). That threat problem always happened on our Normal Kills, but, since the damage to the raid is really low, that wasn't a problem. On heroic progression I'm trying to help the healers a bit.

I know Vengeance scales up my white hits but, as far I know, that plus some Devastates should NOT be able to "taunt" the boss back to me, and thats why I'm looking for some help.

I'm also having trouble holding threat on my blood DK, mostly on adds, if DnD is on cooldown there's no way for me to pick up a group of adds short of spamming blood boil and that doesn't seem to generate any threat lately.. Also I death grip taunted an add the other day and he just turned around and started focusing on someone else..

I'm still in last tiers gear, just started ToT, so I'm hoping once I pick up a better set of gear this problem will go away.

His ability usage seems reasonable so I don't think that's the problem.
    Pulling aggro on Jin'Rokh in the early stages of the fight is pretty normal due to the buff zone - especially if the one taunting is not in the zone for some nonsensical reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    His ability usage seems reasonable so I don't think that's the problem.
    Pulling aggro on Jin'Rokh in the early stages of the fight is pretty normal due to the buff zone - especially if the one taunting is not in the zone for some nonsensical reason.
    Some aggro problems happen even before the buff zone appears...

But thats important: You mean that the tanks (even the one with the boss) should stay inside the damage-boost puddle? That would cause lots of raid damage, or wouldnt? Yesterday was our first night of attempts, so didn't try it TBH....

Quote Originally Posted by Drugshock View Post

But thats important: You mean that the tanks (even the one with the boss) should stay inside the damage-boost puddle?
    That would cause lots of raid damage, or wouldnt?
    Of course they should....
    Go figure that one out yourself °_°

When the boss is hitting you harder (and he does in Heroic), Vengeance stacks much higher, so it's much more of an uphill battle for someone to try and taunt off and hold aggro. Sometimes gear differentials are also to blame - for most of Throne of Thunder, our DK was running with a blue weapon, and I was a Druid with a 502 staff running full Rage build, so I was spending a lot of time in Cat Form to keep things from getting dicey. I would sometimes take a threat lead without even trying to. Once he got his 522 sword, things evened out between us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will do that tonight, for sure. Thanks.

Also, I'm not super familiar with how Warrior tanking works, but if you switch to DPS stance, it will drop your Vengeance stacks and make it easier for you to bank Rage for the swap since your generation will be faster. It means you miss out on Vengeance DPS for a few seconds, but once that drops, it all evens out.

Another option, if you have a Paladin in your group, is to have him cast Hand of Salvation on you. That way you can go balls to the wall and not re-aggro.

how does taunting in the buff zone help? honest question

Quote Originally Posted by devilminion View Post
    how does taunting in the buff zone help? honest question
    More damage = more threat = simple equation?

Another thing I noticed is that he seems to be specced into Runic Empowerment which is kind of a bad choice for blood.
    Last edited by Nillo; 2013-06-05 at 08:52 PM.

Blood dks are one of those classes that suffer in threat this tier...due to other tanks being able to gem haste/crit and pure agility stats
    well as we are kinda forced to go pure mastery for our mitgation to stay alive

sure we can try to go pure haste...but it'll greatly force the healers to do 10 times the work

I switched to a Monk and play my alt paladin occasionally
    the threat they do is outrageous compared to my DK

Currently my monk does about 2-3 times the damage..than my dk has ever done
    they seriously need to do a overhaul on the class right now

Solution would be have your hunters Misdirect or rogue use tricks to help out
    Since you are likely the main tank..try to stop hitting the boss for about 5-10 seconds so his veng can stack and click yours off

He should be running strength flasks and shado pan strength trinket/fallen crusader aswell if his HP is above 650k

My Monk
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...robbs/advanced

My DK
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Deev/advanced
    Last edited by TheNationGamer; 2013-06-05 at 09:10 PM.

If your monk does 3 times the damage of your DK then you're doing it wrong....

More damage = more threat = simple equation?

Another thing I noticed is that he seems to be specced into Runic Empowerment which is kind of a bad choice for blood.

and yr meele dps dont bitch at you? i suppose you could stand on a side...

Quote Originally Posted by devilminion View Post
    and yr meele dps dont bitch at you? i suppose you could stand on a side...
    Ya whatever man.....

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    just save up for DRW before the taunt, it's pretty hard to pull threat off DRW, his dps seems fine actually.. i pulled about 115k in full tank gear, both tanks did periodically stand in the water buff, not sure if you guys are doing that?

i actually had trouble not pulling off the druid tank, and he has 50% crit and 13% haste, and i just have pure tank stats (no haste/crit, but hit/exp capped), so the dk should be able to do a crap load of threat... the only class that i have trouble keeping up with are monks, their threat/dps is ridiculous.

What kind of bullshit are you spouting? No, a tank should never stand in the water, he'll electrocute the whole raid and will probably lead to a wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    What kind of bullshit are you spouting? No, a tank should never stand in the water, he'll electrocute the whole raid and will probably lead to a wipe.
    So me killing the boss 14 times using that strategy must have been a fluke.

Just go back to your non-wow threads °_°