Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolcraft View Post
    How would that be a bad thing?
    Inflation. For the American economy to be "perfect" unemployment should be around 4% to 5% to combat over inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolcraft View Post
    How would that be a bad thing?
    It's impossible to have low prices and no unemployment in a capitalistic society.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post

Meh, V for Vendetta is overrated. Hunger Games series did an awesome job. Can't see how you ruled that out.
    Well if thought the hunger games movie was a piece of crap, and I really liked V for Vendetta. But opinions are opinions I suppose.
    If I may ask why did you think the hunger games was such a good movie?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    No. But that's not the parameters of the Stanford Prison Experiment, nor the Purge. Both cases involve social acceptance of violent behavior.
    Spot on. This is exactly my point

Deleted
    Stupid concept in reality. So if rape and murder were not illiegal you would crack on and do it all the time? Behave.

Although I don't believe in good and evil my personal 'code' doesn't think this has any basis in reality and was a terrible film anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    That is how they keep the budget in check, once every year they murder all ill, sick, poor, unemployed people
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    1. If allowing evil deeds for one night actually reduced crime all year long substantially, would it be an ethical thing to do?
    It isn't possible. Just because you allow evil deeds on a certain day doesn't mean people will stop doing it the rest of the year. You have far too much faith in humanity if you believe this is even remotely possible. But to answer your question, no it isn't ethical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Problems with the movie.

Assumes that all humans are violent.

Assumes that all humans can get it out of their system and not be violent for 364 days. Basically saying humans are non violent, but will if allowed.

SO WHICH IS IT!

It would be fascinating to see but I can't see it ever happening. In between this and The Hunger Games we sure are interested in people killing other people.

Deleted
    I thought the concept sounded good, then I realised that actually no, it was fucking stupid.

So, what would happen?

Why the fuck would people stop committing crime the whole year round? They wouldn't. Crime often isn't about need, it is about opportunity. All those white collar crimes, fraud, ID theft, they aren't desperate homeless people who would be purged. Crimes of passion wouldn't go away. Perhaps one would consider waiting until the purge, but then you'd realise that the other guy would probably be prepared, waiting, or even getting ready to kill you.

There wouldn't be the sadistic bloodshed for the sake of it. Why go into a house where people are bunkered up and armed to the teeth when you could just, you know, burn it to the fucking ground? Why bother killing at all? Why not spend all night forging money? Why not commit crime against businesses? Looting? Then there'd be anarchists who just wouldn't give a fuck and would try and burn the lot.

In the end we are all animals when laid bare.

well its basically what happens during natural disasters. people go nuts, stealing and murdering and.. other things.

not everybody of course, but the ones already inclined to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaji View Post
    I feel like you picked up a thesaurus just to use words that sound impressive so you'd sound better with this. Shame that you're so very wrong, though.
    What words did he use that he'd need a thesaurus for? They all seem like pretty standard words....

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think a program like that would last past a year. The first day murder was legal, everyone would be dead except 1 person standing "Last Man Standing" style

My first thought of hearing the trailer? Sounds so unbelievable of a plot it must be low-budget.

Turns out it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I don't think a program like that would last past a year. The first day murder was legal, everyone would be dead except 1 person standing "Last Man Standing" style
    The five boroughs would storm Manhattan and we'd have apocalyptic New York City the next day.

---------- Post added 2013-06-10 at 03:38 PM ----------

The trailer was fucking stupid. "Tonight allows people a release for all the hatred."

What?! The whole human race is just hating people all year long just waiting to kill them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    The five boroughs would storm Manhattan and we'd have apocalyptic New York City the next day.
    lol This city would go to shit so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    lol This city would go to shit so quickly.
    I just noticed I said the five boroughs including Manhattan... really it's four + self storming via uptown. No more Dumbo, no more Riverdale either. Movie doesn't make sense. woudlnt' an army of crazy killers want to continue after 12 hours or would they just be like "no we got it out of our systems let's just go to work tomorrow!"

This is how it is explained in the movie. Since people that lack economic beneifts are the most likely to get killed, it eliminates strain on the economy and reduces unemployment.
    Not realistic at all, who would do all the menial labor?

10+ Year Old Account
    The premise is mind-numbingly stupid, and the narrative focus is terrible too, why should the audience care about the people in the movie? I don't care, they're a bunch of rich schmucks with stupid spoiled kids that get to ignore murder-day because they can afford an enormous home security system, except this year they actually have to be confronted with it, how terrible for them.