Thread: Megaera

Deleted

Megaera

Last night, we got Tortos Normal down for the first time, and we moved on to Megaera. We got her to the 6th head. (6th head was on 51%). We use the combo G-R-G-R-B-G-R. Is this the right combo, or is there an easier combo?

We use the combo B-R-G-B-R-G-B. We tried other combo's when we were learning the fight but the first time we used that combo we got her down.

10+ Year Old Account
    we got her down easy without even touching blue head, just rotate raid cd's on rampages and its cake.

Deleted
    There is no real right or wrong combo here. I've always ignored blue in any run I've ever done it seems though, which boils down to a number games near the end. Killing a blue or maybe even 2 means less outgoing damage but more movement for some specific people. Some people even ignore green to avoid poison bombs. It all boils down to what you think is best for your group, what they are strong/weak at.

Something general I would advise though, is to try lust at head #6 instead of #7. Head #7 will do more damage mostly, but getting there with everyone alive is more beneficial than getting a kill with everyone alive imo. If some people die during head #7 it doesn't matter much, while it's a lot worse during head #6.
    Also don't overbloat on raid cooldowns during rampages imo. Group is stacked up anyway and stacked up healing spells take care of a lot anyway. Obviously something like barrier, AMZ, spirit link, ascendance, etc. you may as well pop here, but something like healing tide I'd definitly suggest leaving out of your cooldown rotation for rampage and pop it during one of the later poison bombs to quickly top raid again.

10+ Year Old Account
    try RGRGRGR if people move out and dispells go out fast enough then you would have an easier time with that. We two-healed that on our 10man using r/g alternations

10+ Year Old Account
    we go G-R-G-R-G-B-G and kill it every time without a problem . but as other guys said ... combo is not that important but keeping your guys alive and having good dps .
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

The combo you do should be based on the strength of your raid and your raid make up. The G-R-G-R-G-R-G or any large combination of green heads favors strong healing over people with poor reactions to targeted mechanics. The B-R-G-B-R-G-B lessens the healing burden significantly but requires that people in your group be able to react to and direct ice beams.

Deleted
    Our raidgroup uses the G R G R B R G *Pronounced "GURGERBURG"*. Been using it since day one and still using it And we rarely ever have problems.

We saw that taking a blue instead of an extra green helped with the AoE healing and made us able to remove red shit if needed!

I hope you down it soon!

We never touch blue head either. It is healing-intensive, but in addition to our healers, we have a druid and two shamans who can help out with big healing CD's. If you don't have that advantage, tossing in a blue head is definitely helpful.

Only kill a blue if you have a warlock or 2 to put down gateways. Other than that, pop hero as soon as they fifth head hits around 10% to maximise the burn time during Rampage when you don't have to move at all. It's also best to save your strongest cds for that transition so that healers can also help with the dps. The faster the sixth head dies the closer you are to finishing the fight.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We had difficulties with this fight because we were doing it with three healers for a while but some of our DPS wasn't pulling their weight which resulted in three stacks before moving on to the next head. Not much of a problem per say but it inevitably built up in to us hitting a wall at around the sixth head while following the G-R-G-R-G-R-G strategy.

We switched to two healers, a Disc Priest and Resto Shaman (which seems to be the norm?), and got it down within two attempts.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotmore View Post
    Last night, we got Tortos Normal down for the first time, and we moved on to Megaera. We got her to the 6th head. (6th head was on 51%). We use the combo G-R-G-R-B-G-R. Is this the right combo, or is there an easier combo?

When we did normal we did G-R-G-R-B-R-G. Red does the most damage and we didn't want it up at the very end.

That being said almost every combination is going to be doable. You can also choose to completely ignore a color if you never want to deal with its abilities. Keep in mind the other heads will be hitting harder at the end with this route.

It seems like your group has decided you don't want to deal with blue though, and you are going to have to deal with a bunch of raid damage going that route, but it is fine.

In hindsight I would say completely ignoring green is the easiest combo to heal, and will set your raid up for when you get to heroic. However you might spend even longer wiping to it if your raid is not good at handling blue/red properly.

My advice is to ignore the blue head and go GRGRGRG. Someone else mentioned that you should preserve some big CD’d for the 6th and 7th heads after rampage, but my group actually did the complete opposite. We maximized our CD rotation so the healers had very little to do during rampage, which preserved their mana for later in the fight. Basically, if your healers have full mana going into the 6th rampage, then it’s almost a free kill. Let them empty the tank with inefficient heals during the 7th head if needed. If you want to share your group comp, I’ll be happy to give you a possible CD rotation to help you out. A lot of potential CD’s are often wasted because the average DPSer doesn’t realize how powerful they are, and some raid leaders just don’t know everyone’s abilities.

Also, we pop hero just when the 6th head is coming up to make that phase as shot as possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    We had difficulties with this fight because we were doing it with three healers for a while but some of our DPS wasn't pulling their weight which resulted in three stacks before moving on to the next head. Not much of a problem per say but it inevitably built up in to us hitting a wall at around the sixth head while following the G-R-G-R-G-R-G strategy.

We switched to two healers, a Disc Priest and Resto Shaman (which seems to be the norm?), and got it down within two attempts.
    3 breaths is pretty standard when you progressing on it and not overgearing imo. 2 healers is far from norm. It's probably the last fight I'd advise 2-healing when progressing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    My advice is to ignore the blue head and go GRGRGRG. Someone else mentioned that you should preserve some big CD’d for the 6th and 7th heads after rampage, but my group actually did the complete opposite. We maximized our CD rotation so the healers had very little to do during rampage, which preserved their mana for later in the fight. Basically, if your healers have full mana going into the 6th rampage, then it’s almost a free kill. Let them empty the tank with inefficient heals during the 7th head if needed. If you want to share your group comp, I’ll be happy to give you a possible CD rotation to help you out. A lot of potential CD’s are often wasted because the average DPSer doesn’t realize how powerful they are, and some raid leaders just don’t know everyone’s abilities.
    Depends on the raid cooldown really. Anything that requires stacking should obviously be used during rampages. Avert harm, ascendance, barrier, AMZ, etc. Personally I found it really easy to save some "spread out" raid cooldown for a poison bomb for example. A healing tide, revival or tranq works 40y range, and can quickly top up the entire raid after a bomb when you know there's a cinder incoming. Mana-wise it will save healers more mana to pop it there than to have the same amount of heals going out on a rampage where you can use stacked up aoe-heals anyway. Maybe a mistweaver can relatively quickly top up a spread raid but in general it's a lot less mana-efficient.

Deleted
    We took the GR GR B RG (note the switching of R and G in the end, just to have 1 less green in the end, since that really hurts).

On our first kill we actually went to 4 healers which got us the kill. We now do it with 3, but the first 2 kills I think we did with 4 healers.

The major big difference that did the trick for us: to not run out with Cinders and wait for a dispell, but spread out and instantly dispell when it comes up. Around the 4th-5th head that cinders debuff really starts ticking hard. It hurts a lot less to get 1 tick from actually standing in the red pool, than having the debuff on you.

What other's have said though: this boss has no right-or-wrong strategy. Just play to your strength of your raid, try some options to see what feels easiest for your team. Every guild does it differently. It's nice to have a boss like that.