Page 30 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Thought this might be relevant to this topic.

The UK retailer Asda apparently is no longer stocking the Wii-U.

For those of us in the USA... I believe they're the 2nd largest retailer in the UK. Think their version of "Target".

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/07/29...tocking-wii-u/

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    The Wii was a popular "toy" that had the longevity of a fruitfly in console terms. They have not replicate its popularity with the Wii U whose gimmick is less novel - we have iPhones and iPads now; touchscreens are old hat - and hella expensive (a Wii U is only $50 dollars cheaper than the much more powerful PS4).
    ???

100 million sold next to 75 million PS3/XB360. I think that fact just takes a massive shit all over what you're trying to say there.

You may not like the Wii because you're a gamer who's obsessed with graphics, but you aren't the whole market. Stop thinking you are.

The argument that power isn't everything is laughable. Providing power is the main "job" of a console!
    You want power, get a PC son.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I'd be very happy if I could play nintendo Ip's on a real system.
    But PC ports always suck :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    ???

100 million sold next to 75 million PS3/XB360. I think that fact just takes a massive shit all over what you're trying to say there.

You may not like the Wii because you're a gamer who's obsessed with graphics, but you aren't the whole market. Stop thinking you are.
    No, that fact doesn't take any kind of 'shit' over what he is saying. He straight up said the Wii sold only because of its motion control gimmick, and the Wii-u doesn't have anything 'new' like that to make it sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Also the last thing I and many others will want is a Console market that is just Sony and Microsoft.
    Ouya!

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/07/wii-u-s...pan-last-week/

Well this was late but it seems like Nintendo Wii u Sales went up after Pikmin 3. I knew this was going to happen and I am now laughing at all the idiots who said the first party games of Nintendo won't be enough to increase the sales.
    No one said that sales wouldn't go up with Mario, pikmin etc, don;t make shit up, you're laughing at imaginary people.

Kinect? HMMMMMMMM i seem to have used something like this before. Difference being that the kinect has no physical motion detector and as such has shit motion detection.
    The Eyetoy?
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-07-30 at 06:23 AM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because it works? Seriously, the past year and a half have been the first rough spot Nintendo has had in over 30 years. Microsoft and Sony both saw weak sales at console launch and both saw big operating losses.

Considering how well the 3DS is doing now, and the upcoming lineup of games for the rest of the year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo back in the red and the Wii U moving more units in the near future.

But every few years people like to herald the imminent death and how Nintendo is fading to irrlevance. There was a big discussion about it during the early years of the Wii (which went on to be a huge success) and then later on when the 3DS launched (which has turned around and been a massive hit).

Mind you, the last Nintendo console I owned was a N64 so I really have no dog in this, but these kinds of claims are truly silly and without any merit.
    The PS3 is Sony's first rough spot in the console industry. The PS1 was a huge success. The PS2 ... need I say more. See I can do it too.

Nintendo hasn't been relevant since the SNES.

Just because you sell a lot doesn't mean you are "relevant". Just because you make money by being cheap and banking on gimmicks and nostalgia, doesn't mean you are relevent.

Their influence in the wider game industry is close to zero. If they go bankrupt tomorrow, no one in the industry is going to be "worried". If they ban 3rd party games, no one will care.

- - - Updated - - -

???

They sold it as a "toy". The vast majority who bought it aren't gamers. That's why few serious developers bother making games for it and all it mostly got was shovelware.

The Wii is in the same category as the furby.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Ouya!
    Something like 70% of people that bought Ouya's haven't put anything on them that wasn't freeware.
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something like 70% of people that bought Ouya's haven't put anything on them that wasn't freeware.
    I was joking of course, although the idea is neat.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Am I the only one who wishes Nintendo would just give up on making bullshit systems and just port their IPs to Xbox and Playstation? I'll give them some credit, they definitely found a way to stay alive with Wii when their hardware was far behind Sony and Microsoft. But the Wii U... just sucks. Ever since the Gamecube I haven't bought a Nintendo system - they just don't get a great assortment of games.

I want Zelda, Mario and DK on my Xbox One/PS4.

Sorry, just hate every time I read about a new Zelda game coming out and know I won't be playing it because I'd have to essentially pay $300 for the system and the game.
    Hardware? My friend methinks you have forgotten the point of video games. Just because Nintendo systems don't have ZOMGgraphics doesn't mean it's a bullshit system. The only reason Nintendo consoles don't get tons of games if because of all the dumbasses that are ignoring their consoles for dumbass reasons.

Oh? The Wii U isn't selling well? Well, one would think so since they only have 1 main first party game on it so far. For just new super mario bros U and a few good third party games the Wii U sold well, and just wait till all the big titles get released like 3D mario, mario kart, super mash bros, donkey kong, pikmin 3, new zelda, new metroid, etc. and then we can talk about how the Wii U is 'failing'. Besides, the new xbox and playstation console haven't even come onto the market yet. They are probably saving themselves time to see what Nintendo does, since you know, they both copied motion control onto their systems (and both were terrible while Nintendo's motion control worked well with the games it was intended for).

I am certainly not getting an xbox this generation. Halo can' justify it for me.

I don't really get this fascination with Nintendo. Their fans are worse than Apple's and will defend everything they do not matter how stupid.

It's pretty obvious Nintendo can't keep up with the likes of Sony (high volume electronics makers for decades /w a huge R&D division and corresponding budget) and Microsoft (tons and tons of money to burn) when it comes to making powerful hardware, they just don't have the "comparative advantage". I have no idea why they keep "beating their head against the wall".
    Maybe because they aren't a hardware company. They are a VIDEO GAME company.

Nintendo hasn't been relevant since the SNES.
    Despite the successes of the N64, the huge success of the DS, the success of the Wii, and the current success of the 3DS? Yeah, I guess that makes sense...

Oh wait...no...no it doesn't!

Just because you sell a lot doesn't mean you are "relevant". Just because you make money by being cheap and banking on gimmicks and nostalgia, doesn't mean you are relevent.
    Dunno, they move a ton of software (they have first party sales that Microsoft and Sony would fucking murder for) and create trends that other major console creators pick up on (motion controls, second screen integration etc.), but I guess that just doesn't mean shit if they don't have HD graphics and Call of Duty!

Their influence in the wider game industry is close to zero. If they go bankrupt tomorrow, no one in the industry is going to be "worried". If they ban 3rd party games, no one will care.
    Do you have much to support that argument? Nintendo is still a big player, and their exit from the gaming industry would cause a pretty major shakeup and some very big waves. Sure, they don't have the most robust 3rd party lineup amongst Western developers, but they have a huge 3rd party lineup of Japanese devs, and even though East and West are different markets, they do still impact each other.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Despite the successes of the N64, the huge success of the DS, the success of the Wii, and the current success of the 3DS? Yeah, I guess that makes sense...

Oh wait...no...no it doesn't!
    The N64 did OK. But let not pretend they were in anyway "dominant".

Dunno, they move a ton of software (they have first party sales that Microsoft and Sony would fucking murder for) and create trends that other major console creators pick up on (motion controls, second screen integration etc.), but I guess that just doesn't mean shit if they don't have HD graphics and Call of Duty!
    It doesn't. The rest of the industry doesn't care, they have no influence. They are irrelevant to the wider industry.

Motion control? Where is that now?

Second screen ... Do you see anyone else doing that instead of just including a larger screen?

Do you have much to support that argument? Nintendo is still a big player, and their exit from the gaming industry would cause a pretty major shakeup and some very big waves. Sure, they don't have the most robust 3rd party lineup amongst Western developers, but they have a huge 3rd party lineup of Japanese devs, and even though East and West are different markets, they do still impact each other.
    I pay attention to the gaming press, to what developers say, the Wii nor the Wii U don't come up very often if at all.

"pretty major shakeup and some very big waves" how so?

Deleted
    Agreed that lately Nintendo haven't been really stepping up to the game, but the thing that Nintendo offers is much more than pewpew with nice graphics.

Luckily, we do indeed get Zelda, Metroid, Mario, [hopefully] Star Fox, Pikmin etc. etc.

While that is only software, there is besides their own IP's 1 solid reason why I wanted a Wii U.

Bayonetta 2.

I loved Bayonetta and Nintendo was the only one who saw all the Bayonetta fans crying out for a sequel, whilst platinum didn't get the funds for it, so Nintendo said; Aight, you guys make Bayonetta 2, only catch is only release it on Wii U.

And the Wii U is capable of graphics on par with 360 and PS3, while PS4 and Xbone are much prettier, the difference in graphics between N64 and Gamecube will never be matched.

The major downside of Wii U would be it's graphical capabilities, which can render the same graphics as pretty much all PS3/360 games, and it's all we've been playing.

Sure, due to being fanboy I missed a few good games, but besides Uncharted, Heavy Rain and Last of Us, what really was there worth playing that is not a shooter, zombie or whatever mass made subject?

When I saw the game announcements for Ps4/Xbone almost everything I saw was pretty graphics, colors, shooting and indie games.

Although I personally will be getting a PS4, since there are a couple of games worth buying that they showed, and I have a Vita, I will always buy Nintendo consoles, and they should keep making them.

They don't race for top position anymore, they stopped when the gamecube failed.

They enjoy making games, although casual, they can get support for hardcore titles out there.

/end rant about nintendo being fine

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Thought this might be relevant to this topic.

The UK retailer Asda apparently is no longer stocking the Wii-U.

For those of us in the USA... I believe they're the 2nd largest retailer in the UK. Think their version of "Target".

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/07/29...tocking-wii-u/
    More like Walmart, since they are actually owned by them. But yeah, they aren't as big as Tesco here.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Insarius View Post
    Agreed that lately Nintendo haven't been really stepping up to the game, but the thing that Nintendo offers is much more than pewpew with nice graphics.
    You know, I have been "hating" on Nintendo quite a bit recently ... but it's not without reason.

The Wii was a disappointment. It sold a lot yes, but it wasn't really much of a game console.

Wii U ... you would think that with the windfall from the Wii, they would improve their R&D and we would get something, you know, decent.

/shakes head

The last real home console that Nintendo was the Gamecube. It's capabilities were at least within the range of the PS2 and Xbox.

No, that fact doesn't take any kind of 'shit' over what he is saying. He straight up said the Wii sold only because of its motion control gimmick, and the Wii-u doesn't have anything 'new' like that to make it sell.
    Right, the Wii-U should've stuck with the "toy" then shouldn't it? By trying to appeal to gamers with a more conventional controller and a more powerful/expensive console they alienated the large group of casual customers that made the Wii a landslide victory. Some "gimmick".

They sold it as a "toy". The vast majority who bought it aren't gamers. That's why few serious developers bother making games for it and all it mostly got was shovelware.

The Wii is in the same category as the furby.
    And yet it beat the shit out of the PS3 and XB360. You just think about that for a minute.

Those dirty kids and their toys and gimmicks are the market. The gamers like you and I? WE'RE the niche market.

- - - Updated - - -

The Wii was a disappointment. It sold a lot yes, but it wasn't really much of a game console.
    That's because you aren't its target demographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    And yet it beat the shit out of the PS3 and XB360. You just think about that for a minute.

Those dirty kids and their toys and gimmicks are the market. The gamers like you and I? WE'RE the niche market.
    In what way? Developer support?

No those "dirty kids" aren't "the market". It's not "the market" that bought the Final Fantasies, the Dragon Quests, the Resident Evils, ... etc. You know the people that made this video games industry a multi-billion dollar business?

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

That's because you aren't its target demographic.
    On current sales prediction they will catch up. It only really beat the 360 in Japan and the Ps3 in america. I really don't think selling 25% more consoles is beating the shit out of anything. 160 million ps3s and xbox's sold and only 100 million wii's its clearly not true that gamers are the niche market. They also shifted 600 million more software, and generally at a higher price.

You know, I have been "hating" on Nintendo quite a bit recently ... but it's not without reason.

Wii U ... you would think that with the windfall from the Wii, they would improve their R&D and we would get something, you know, decent.

/shakes head

The last real home console that Nintendo was the Gamecube. It's capabilities were at least within the range of the PS2 and Xbox.
    Only console I own right now is a Wii and I personally enjoy it.

I have played Black Ops/MW3 for shooting and online enjoyed them both. Just got New Super Mario Brothers and I got other games like Metroid other M and Mad World. All great games and here soon ill be buying Monster Hunter Tri "sadly the online servers got shut down" and Zelda Skyward sword asap.

To me the Wii is a really great console if you care more about Game Play then Graphic's and even some games on the Wii look amazing even tho its Hardware was just slightly better then the Gamecube.

Like I said early'er No Gamer should want a market that only has Sony and Microsoft in because then it will get to the point where whoever has the best and most fast DLC for CoD/Fifa will win and it will just be boring as hell.

The day Nintendo stops making consoles will be the day I stop playing consoles. While I will get a Ps4 in the near future I want a Wii-U a lot more then it and that is how it is for all Nintendo Consoles.

The only Nintendo console that was kinda bla to me was the Gamecube until I played Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. For a long time I said I refused to play it because of how its graphic's was and once I finally did I loved it then again I was young then and at that time graphic's did matter to me but now its more Gameplay/Story then graphic's.

Not to repeat myself but like I said No Gamer should want a market where its just Sony/Microsoft and if Nintendo did stop making Consoles I hope they keep doing Handheld and keep the games there. I never want to see Zelda/Mario on a Playstation or Xbox.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Only console I own right now is a Wii and I personally enjoy it.

I have played Black Ops/MW3 for shooting and online enjoyed them both. Just got New Super Mario Brothers and I got other games like Metroid other M and Mad World. All great games and here soon ill be buying Monster Hunter Tri "sadly the online servers got shut down" and a few others.

To me the Wii is a really great console if you care more about Game Play then Graphic's and even some games on the Wii look amazing even tho its Hardware was just slightly better then the Gamecube.

Like I said early'er No Gamer should want a market that only has Sony and Microsoft in because then it will get to the point where whoever has the best and most fast DLC for CoD/Fifa will win and it will just be boring as hell.

The day Nintendo stops making consoles will be the day I stop playing consoles. While I will get a Ps4 in the near future I want a Wii-U a lot more then it and that is how it is for all Nintendo Consoles.

The only Nintendo console that was kinda bla to me was the Gamecube until I played Legend of Zeld Wind Waker. For a long time I said I refused to play it because of how its graphic's was and once I finally did I loved it then again I was young then and at that time graphic's did matter to me but now its more Gameplay/Story then graphic's.
    You might as well buy a PS2 then. Since graphics is of no concern to you, only gameplay which the PS2 has plenty of given it's humongous game library.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    On current sales prediction they will catch up. It only really beat the 360 in Japan and the Ps3 in america. I really don't think selling 25% more consoles is beating the shit out of anything. 160 million ps3s and xbox's sold and only 100 million wii's its clearly not true that gamers are the niche market. They also shifted 600 million more software, and generally at a higher price.
    I hope you mean 160million ps3's/xbox's put together because last checked it was like 76million Ps3's world wide and 74million Xbox 360's world wide and world wide the Nintendo wii sold 100 million+

- - - Updated - - -

You might as well buy a PS2 then. Since graphics is of no concern to you, only gameplay which the PS2 has plenty of given it's humongous game library.
    I am working to rebuild my game collection and will be buying me a Ps2 soon so ya I plan on it.

Never said Graphic's are no concern but Gameplay and Story matter more to me then Graphic's.

Hell just got Rogues Legacy and it really has no story but Gameplay is awesome and for a 2d game it looks awesome. Graphic's do not have to play a major role in making a game fun.

But it also depends the game. The most recent Zelda video showed it looking amazing and I can't wait for them to finally give it a title and release date.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Right, the Wii-U should've stuck with the "toy" then shouldn't it? By trying to appeal to gamers with a more conventional controller and a more powerful/expensive console they alienated the large group of casual customers that made the Wii a landslide victory. Some "gimmick".
    I don't think you know what I'm saying. I'm saying the Wii's motion control is what made it sell the most consoles, but the Wii also had the least titles per system sold as well as the least 3rd party sales of its generation. It was a novelty toy in the price range of many families, and that was the bulk of its sales. The Wii-u doesn't have that novelty, nor does it have that real price advantage.

I'm not saying Nintendo did something _wrong_ with the Wii. I'm saying I don't think the wii-u has any hope of repeating what the wii did because they abandoned the "casual" market with the wii-u. If that is their intention and they think they can (or actually can) make money as the 'third' (fourth if you count PCs) hardware product on the market, then good on them. If they think the Wi-u is going to sell anywhere near as many copies as the Wii did, then I disagree with that, vehemently.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.