Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Cool The American Dream

The AMERICAN DREAM is a 30 minute animated film that shows you how you've been scammed by the most basic elements of our government system. All of us strive for the 'American Dream', and this film shows you why your dream is getting farther and farther away. Do you know how your money is created? Or how banking works? Why did housing prices skyrocket and then plunge? Do you really know what the Federal Reserve System is and how it affects you every single day? THE AMERICAN DREAM takes an entertaining but hard hitting look at how the problems we have today are nothing new, and why leaders throughout our history have warned us and fought against the current type of financial system we have in America today. You will be challenged to investigate some very entrenched and powerful institutions in this nation, and hopefully encouraged to help get our nation back on track.

The video creators understand that how the monetary system works can be very confusing to some and have done a brilliant job in explaining how the whole system is set up to keep you forever in debt. This is not what the original founding fathers of America had in mind.

Also, this is not just an American problem. It's the same scam in nearly all countries around the world

As dear old George Carlin said:

"The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it."
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    The American Dream is certainly a real thing. My father, for example, was born in a poor, back-woods part of Tennessee. Through smart investments and over 2 decades of military service, he fought his way up into the upper class, and now runs a small neighborhood of high-quality rental properties. He told me that the key to his success was that he took every career opportunity that ever presented itself, and did everything he could to make sure he was in the right place at the right time. The saying "It's not what you know, but who you know" is true. But rather than using that as an excuse for failure, you should see it as an incentive to get in good with the people in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    The American Dream is certainly a real thing. My father, for example, was born in a poor, back-woods part of Tennessee. Through smart investments and over 2 decades of military service, he fought his way up into the upper class, and now runs a small neighborhood of high-quality rental properties. He told me that the key to his success was that he took every career opportunity that ever presented itself, and did everything he could to make sure he was in the right place at the right time. The saying "It's not what you know, but who you know" is true. But rather than using that as an excuse for failure, you should see it as an incentive to get in good with the people in power.
    They say "If you want the American Dream, move to Denmark"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I'd say he got lucky. There will be many people that do the same thing and fail.

Deleted
    I don't understand this (mostly) American mentality that you have to become rich, or at least try to. Sure I want to get rich, but its not the main purpose in my life.

The Majority of Americans view their government as the cause of most problems even if only via domino effect but the sad truth is The American citizens will never unite and topple the government simply because the individual always gets cut down before they can amass a following and the Media portrays these wood-be hero's as villains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    The Majority of Americans view their government as the cause of most problems even if only via domino effect but the sad truth is The American citizens will never unite and topple the government simply because the individual always gets cut down before they can amass a following and the Media portrays these wood-be hero's as villains.
    I have a hard time believing in a claim of what the majority want without a reputable source.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crzyman007 View Post

The AMERICAN DREAM is a 30 minute animated film that shows you how you've been scammed by the most basic elements of our government system. All of us strive for the 'American Dream', and this film shows you why your dream is getting farther and farther away. Do you know how your money is created? Or how banking works? Why did housing prices skyrocket and then plunge? Do you really know what the Federal Reserve System is and how it affects you every single day? THE AMERICAN DREAM takes an entertaining but hard hitting look at how the problems we have today are nothing new, and why leaders throughout our history have warned us and fought against the current type of financial system we have in America today. You will be challenged to investigate some very entrenched and powerful institutions in this nation, and hopefully encouraged to help get our nation back on track.

The video creators understand that how the monetary system works can be very confusing to some and have done a brilliant job in explaining how the whole system is set up to keep you forever in debt. This is not what the original founding fathers of America had in mind.

Also, this is not just an American problem. It's the same scam in nearly all countries around the world
    I haven't watched that film in about a year, but I recall it being absolute tripe.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Rather see the Emerald Dream.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    I don't understand this (mostly) American mentality that you have to become rich, or at least try to. Sure I want to get rich, but its not the main purpose in my life.
    I think originally it didn't actually mean just rich. I think it was more like "if you work hard in America you can have anything you dream of, a good amount of money, a loving family, a healthy life where at the end of it all you can say that you have done everything you wanted". Like you climbed the Maslow's pyramid through hard work and dedication sort of.

However in modern day with all of us being greedy bastards (yes, me too) it has gotten the meaning of becomming the richest bastard around town.

But that is just my idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    I think originally it didn't actually mean just rich. I think it was more like "if you work hard in America you can have anything you dream of, a good amount of money, a loving family, a healthy life where at the end of it all you can say that you have done everything you wanted". Like you climbed the Maslow's pyramid through hard work and dedication sort of.

However in modern day with all of us being greedy bastards (yes, me too) it has gotten the meaning of becomming the richest bastard around town.

I think you're right. I make a bit above the median income, but live in a very expensive area of the country, and I actually pretty much feel like I'm living "the dream". Most Americans would not see me as doing so though, as I don't own a house, I don't have an expensive car, and I don't have an ostentatious life style.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, this is what I agree with. I don't think the American Dream ever meant to become a millionaire and live a life of incredible luxury. I think it meant to have a stable job, have a family, and live in moderate comfort without extravagance. And in this sense, it is very much a real thing and obtainable with some hard work. The American Dream was never about living an easy life, it's foundation was hard work.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, the original idea was just having a comfortable life with a home and family. The whole white picket fence, 2.4 children, a wife, and a dog, and a job that could support that. I don't really fit that bill I guess, as I'm single and live in an apartment near Downtown Houston, and have a hard time saving much money, despite earning more than the median income. I think it's partly being a single income, and partly because I choose to live where the rent is half again what it is in other parts of town.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah, the original idea was just having a comfortable life with a home and family. The whole white picket fence, 2.4 children, a wife, and a dog, and a job that could support that. I don't really fit that bill I guess, as I'm single and live in an apartment near Downtown Houston, and have a hard time saving much money, despite earning more than the median income. I think it's partly being a single income, and partly because I choose to live where the rent is half again what it is in other parts of town.
    2.4 kids?! lol

And yeah, I am very much above the median income. The problem is I spend more on rent in a year than a lot of the people in the country probably make in a year ... and I don't even live in a big place. Saving can be hard, but I manage to do it since I don't have many bills other than that. It's nice not needing a car.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    2.4 kids?! lol

And yeah, I am very much above the median income. The problem is I spend more on rent in a year than a lot of the people in the country probably make in a year ... and I don't even live in a big place. Saving can be hard, but I manage to do it since I don't have many bills other than that. It's nice not needing a car.
    Yeah, I live in an 800 sqft 1 bedroom apartment that costs me $1300/month without any of the utilities, and Houston is the cheapest large city in the US.

When I grew up in Canada we were basically told the same thing. I agree with some of the posters about the dream is not about becoming a millionaire. I think the dream is alive and well but people need to get better at playing the game so to speak. In College I saw so many students who would get a low score on a test would blame it on test/teacher instead of blaming themselves. At work I see so many retail owners have no idea how to run a business. I also see so many people spend their money on cigarettes and liquor instead of saving it but turn around to complain how they have no money.

There's a very much a disconnect between what people expect to happen in life versus what actually is happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    Eh, if you're in River Oaks or some place similar to that you're going to be paying a lot for what is considered not much space.

Moving to the greater Houston Metropolitan area, or suburbs is where it becomes a lot cheaper. But...then you get to drive miles and miles through some of the most hellish travel ever imagined.

I have to leave the house at 5:50 in order to get to work before 6:45 (clock-in time) and this is from Alvin to the Medical Center.

Of course, the traffic isn't up to the super bad standards quite as much when one leaves as early as I do, but it's still crazy.
    Yeah, I live within walking distance of River Oaks. I live here because I like being in a place that has other people like me, young professional, relatively liberal, enjoying art and indpendent stores and restaurants, the ability to walk places, or take taxis to/from pubs, etc. To me, my quality of life is worth the $500/month or so I'd save by moving out past Beltway 8. If money ever gets truly tight, though, I know what I can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah, I live in an 800 sqft 1 bedroom apartment that costs me $1300/month without any of the utilities, and Houston is the cheapest large city in the US.
    I'll stick to the Indianapolis area then, cause that apartment is $700 - $1000 a month here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    I'd say he got lucky. There will be many people that do the same thing and fail.
    Nobody in America works hard and fails. Those that fail are straight up lazy. Most Americans think its crazy to have 2 full time jobs yet us filipinos do it all the time. You crackers be lazy jack

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 10:05 AM ----------

Las Vegas where you can get a 2br in the ghetto for 400/month or in the rich part of town for 1-1.2k. Personally mine is $850. I will never live in another city in my life and the American dream has been realized by me so honestly I can care less if others throw their dream away. (unless its my children then i care!)

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 10:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    Indeed, I hate living out here in the boonies (it's hard to find people who are young professionals and liberal out in Alvin, I see Confederate flags too often usually on giant ass raised trucks...) and whenever I graduate college I'll probably be moving inside the city. I may have less space in the city, but there is more to do, people who are more aligned with what I like, etc.

Also, Reeve, did you hear about the big citizen filibuster last night?
    There were two very nasty abortion bills that were going to pass the Texas House, but they were filibustered! It seems people are starting to get sick of GOP leadership here, I know I am.
    http://www.statesman.com/news/news/e...hout-a-/nYRGB/
    I'm filipino and the confederate flag never bothered me. Its funny cause watching dukes n hazzard or w/e it is my friend asked me if that flag on the car bothered me and I laughed and said why. He went into this big spill about how I probably didn't know what it meant then he explained it to me and finally when he finished I told him yeah we had history in Philippines too and I still don't have a problem with it lol. How can I care about something that doesn't affect me in any way? I'm a little smarter than that.