Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm very happy been waiting for this!

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by K-b View Post
    Garrosh's story just pummeled. It took a leap. So much justification left untold, just to speculate. The speculation went in one direction, to assume he was evil , that was all there was to it, why bother justifying his evilness if the community downright hates him?
    I think Garrosh's arc of descent is pretty well laid out, although not nearly to the level of Arthas' story (mind, he didn't have three entire games to do it in). Garrosh's downward arc pretty much began when Thrall (humorously the root of all evil when it comes to Garrosh) gave him an unwarranted boost of pride and ego when he challenged Garrosh's original view of his father. By not tempering the information with the necessary warnings and modifiers he basically undid Garrosh's whole foundation for being in fell swoop and left him to pretty much pick up the pieces of his shattered viewpoints.

Garrosh resolved the conundrum by gaining an insanely skewed image of Grom's merit (which, in turn, caused him to challenge Thrall to a duel when Thrall dared question Grom's personality or motives), which extended to the thing Grom seemingly championed (e.g. the Horde itself). At this point, at least some insecurity and self-doubt remained with Garrosh and he questioned Thrall's attempt to put him in the position of Warchief. But after insulating himself against further challenges to his personal views via the death of Cairne (arguably not Garrosh's fault but it still removed a voice of dissent), the self-exile of Vol'jin, and then surrounding himself with like-minded yes-men; Garrosh began to fortify his own beliefs in himself, his legacy, and the future of the Horde in what he saw as a hostile world.

Garrosh is basically unprepared to deal with either setbacks or self-doubt - and his pathological personality won't allow him to accept any form of defeat or failure, he simply behaves if both things don't exist or aren't relevant. Follow this line to its conclusion and you wind up with a tyrannical coward who sees the future he envisioned slowly collapsing as the Horde fractures from mismanagement and broken ties with its client-races.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisholyness View Post
    YES!

He was the "Hero without a way" in BC, I liked him a lot. I hate how they turned him into a monster/ villian, I want his old "I need a reason to lead/battle" from Nagrand back
    oh what you mean the whiny little bitch who couldn't even lead his clan in nagrand well they were captured by orges, because he spent his days crying into a fire?
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt he is going to die...I just think he is going to be wounded in critical condition do to the extraction of The Sha, I believe Vol'jin would want to kill him right away but being stopped by Thrall (I kinda of sort of, want him to kick the bucket)

will see how this plays out
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

LIFE

(L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

10+ Year Old Account
    What if I told you Garrosh will be taken away by the Burning Legion for future events? Now that would be a twist in every sense

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duito View Post
    I doubt he is going to die...I just think he is going to be wounded in critical condition do to the extraction of The Sha, I believe Vol'jin would want to kill him right away but being stopped by Thrall (I kinda of sort of, want him to kick the bucket)

will see how this plays out
    You know... when I now see people say 'I think he will survive and carry on', i look at him as the corrupted old god mutated hulking mass, like something from a resident evil game, and.. I just laugh.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    they know they don't like Garrosh, because he is not Thrall, and he killed Cairne.

In conclusion, Garrosh was a failed experiment to create a more complex character in an enviroment that normally does not allow it, and a failed one. And then, well, turned into a bad dragon to erase him once and for all from WoW. In a simple story with the good guys and the bad guys, where every piece of story you need to know is handed right to you. Is it good or is it bad? I guess it's good, thats how MMOs work. But shame this had to happen to one of my favourite characters.
    I would say that Garrosh is one of the few 'realistic' characters in a world so brutal that is has become common practice to commit mass murder in exchange for new pieces of clothing. Thrall is incredibly boring because he is an immortal superman with an impervious character shield who seems to be completely disconnected from the warcraft universe.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I will not be sad for one second. I will be more than thrilled to purge Azeroth of his foulness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pallyopness View Post
    well they aren't....he isn't corrupted.....an old god empowers him....he doesn't "corrupt" him in the sense you are trying to portray but nice try.....empowerment does not equal corruption....sorry
    Nowhere does it say he'll still have full control over his own actions. You're just making assumptions.

And yes, I do think it's a waste of a perfectly good character if they decide to kill him off. I'd rather see him lead against the Burning Legion as the most powerful uncorrupted Orc there is, I always saw that as his destiny. To take revenge for the demonic corruption of his race and to strive beyond the legacy of his father. Let him be the commander he wanted to be.

What was the reason to retcon the son of Grom Hellscream into existance only to do the storyline over again with his son, but this time less fulfilling for the fans? They might as well have retconned a son of Gul'dan into existance or let him be resurrected somehow if they wanted a true bad Orc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    You know... when I now see people say 'I think he will survive and carry on', i look at him as the corrupted old god mutated hulking mass, like something from a resident evil game, and.. I just laugh.
    I'm sure it's just something you can walk off. Just some goo and additional eyes, nothing looks permanent here.

Deleted
    Grom the Chaos Orc got redeemed as well, there is always a chance.

Only for a little bit now that he can make faces at me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Grom the Chaos Orc got redeemed as well, there is always a chance.
    The difference there. Grom was corrupted because he was manipulated and tricked into it. Garrosh is doing what he's doing in full control of the corruption, he wants power to kill his enemies.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    In your Washing Machine, Stealing your Socks
    Seems to me the Story of Garrosh wants to highlight that the Horde and the Orcs have the potential to commit "Evil" acts that isn't a driect result of Demon's Blood.

Garrosh did not drink the blood, yet his actions seem heavily influenced by a sense of Horde i.e. Blackhammer's Horde that did and were effected by the Demon Blood. Garrosh's use of the Old God, albeit a fallen old god whose more suseptable to control I think (guessing there), is a method to empower his disenfranchised people; the Orc; his view of superority comes from 1) His people's numbers (so they were able to commit men to every major conflict; Ahn'Qiraj, Onyxia/Nefarian/Ragnaros, Outland Campeign, and Northrend Campaign, (yes I know two of those were before Garroh's time but I think he knows how to listen to stories; Thralll prob told him). 2) Superior Fighting skills over the other Horde races in Garrosh's eyes (he admits the Tauran's are of comparable skill) and 3) a desire to empower the rest of his race after he felt a similiar disempowerment on Draenor.

Are their contradictions in Garrosh's story yes, He shouldn't be following the model of the old Horde (True Horde?) it doesn't fit with his past; but his decent into the use of a power beyond his direct control is and always was inevitable. Garrosh does not understand the definition of Thrall's Horde - empowerment of the other "races" of Azeroth - Tauran, Undead, Darkspear - they wern't brought in for their military prowess - they brought in by necessity and the definition of Horde that is not shared by Garrosh.

For Garrosh the definition of Horde "Is an Orc Horde reminacent of Draenor" which isn't the same as Thrall's Horde - put the blame on Green Jesus - none of this would have happend if he didn't call it the Horde!

I'm not sad to see Garrosh going - it is necessary to show that the Orc can be bad outside the influence of Demon's Blood and that's what the stroy is trying to show atm - heck it's even tryiong to show that a person can be "evil" outside the influence of anything (Arthas' was Burning Legion > Kal'Thuzad > Lich King), Deathwing was Old God's) so it's liberating to see that a WOW char can be bad and in control of their actions beyond one of these influences.
    I could be wrong but I doubt it

The difference there. Grom was corrupted because he was manipulated and tricked into it. Garrosh is doing what he's doing in full control of the corruption, he wants power to kill his enemies.
    Grom was not manipulated. I like Grom as a character, but he a genocidal bloodthirsty maniac. You can read Rise of the Horde if you disagree. He damned himself not once, -twice-. Didn't Grom drink Mannorath's blood again to destroy the Night Elves who were backed by Cenarius? Yes. He was losing, and drank the blood to beat them.

Stop sugar-coating Grom. He redeemed the Orcs, but he was selfish. "I have redeemed myself." were his last words. Selfish to the end. Seems like the apple does not fall far from the tree.

IMHO, his death will be a very happy event
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacromental View Post

Are their contradictions in Garrosh's story yes, He shouldn't be following the model of the old Horde (True Horde?) it doesn't fit with his past; but his decent into the use of a power beyond his direct control is and always was inevitable. Garrosh does not understand the definition of Thrall's Horde - empowerment of the other "races" of Azeroth - Tauran, Undead, Darkspear - they wern't brought in for their military prowess - they brought in by necessity and the definition of Horde that is not shared by Garrosh.
    And this is it, this is the major thing that people, the garrosh fans, simply Do Not Get. They don't understand the difference and why what Garrosh wanted for 'the horde', wasn't the horde itself, it was just his plan for absolute orcish rule, all the other races were, as you say, nothing to him, he didn't see any of them as part of his horde, other then tools.

This is something that happened in the old horde too, when the orcs of the old horde had no more draenei to kill, they started killing each other, deciding on who was weakest. This is something Garrosh now follows, and why the values of the true horde are not his, but that of the other horde races now standing against him.

---------- Post added 2013-06-13 at 10:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gorefiend 1 View Post
    Grom was not manipulated. I like Grom as a character, but he a genocidal bloodthirsty maniac. You can read Rise of the Horde if you disagree. He damned himself not once, -twice-. Didn't Grom drink Mannorath's blood again to destroy the Night Elves who were backed by Cenarius? Yes. He was losing, and drank the blood to beat them.

Stop sugar-coating Grom. He redeemed the Orcs, but he was selfish. "I have redeemed myself." were his last words. Selfish to the end. Seems like the apple does not fall far from the tree.
    I'm not sugar coating Grom. but in comparisons to Garrosh he was better. At least in his old age began to learn certain lessons of his past mitakes, if you read lord of the clans you'd know that.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacromental View Post
    Seems to me the Story of Garrosh wants to highlight that the Horde and the Orcs have the potential to commit "Evil" acts that isn't a driect result of Demon's Blood.
    In this game has been showed various times that a lot of races are able of doing evil things without any kind of "mind-fucked" excuse. No reason for which the orcs should have be an exception, by this point of view. Indeed the whole storyline with Garrosh being the Warchief and commanding the Horde made feel it a bit "asphyxiating" for the Horde players, but well, that's it.

but OT

I'm definetily more curious than happy or sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    ..He will live, Thrall will die, nobody will see that coming for even fathom that happening because them devs' love Thrall
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

LIFE

(L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care. We haven't felt guilty about any of the other thousands of mobs we've killed in the last 9 years, why start now? I'm sure they all have sob stories about how it's not their fault and they were corrupted and they were just defending their people and bla bla bla...screw 'em.