Deleted

Currently building a PC for light use, feedback needed.

I got the job to replace my dads horrendously slow PC, and i'd like to have a bit of feedback before buying the items.

Intel (I guess it's better quality than amd? I stuck with Ivy, I don't know if Haswell is worth it)

ASUS P8Z77-M
    Kingston HyperX Gen DDR3-1600 DC - 8GB
    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge - Box
    Samsung 840 Basic SSD (Bulk) - 120GB
    Western Digital WD Blue - 1TB
    Fractal Design Define Mini
    Corsair CX500M - 500W PSU
    ASUS GeForce GT 610 - 2 GB DDR3
    A generic optical drive

Or AMD (Slightly cheaper, better cooling)

ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
    Samsung 840 Basic SSD (Bulk) - 120GB
    Western Digital WD Blue - 1TB
    AMD FX-6350 Black - AM3 +
    Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
    Samsung SH-224BB DVD±RW - Black
    ASUS GeForce GT 610 - 1GB DDR3
    Fractal Design Define Mini
    Corsair CX500M - 500W PSU
    Kingston HyperX Gen DDR3-1600 DC - 8GB
    Generic optical drive

10+ Year Old Account
    3570k for light use?

What exactly will he be using it for?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    3570k for light use?

What exactly will he be using it for?
    Sorry, I didn't specify what it was going to be used for, it's mostly light work. I know that is quite an overkill for such, but I'd rather let him have a computer which is swift - whatever he is doing with it, outside of gaming ofcourse, and reliable.

Do you have another cpu to recommend?

I would put a i3-3220, enough powerfull
    Last edited by Punisher; 2013-06-13 at 11:05 PM.
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

Might not need HDD at all, 120GB SSD is plenty for "work" computer. Also CPU heatsink probably not needed either unless he lives in very hot place where extra cooling is often needed.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    I would put a i3-3220, enough powerfull
    Do you think it would be able to do any normal activity without any struggle? It's my biggest worry currently.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Might not need HDD at all, 120GB SSD is plenty for "work" computer. Also CPU heatsink probably not needed either unless he lives in very hot place where extra cooling is often needed.
    Hmmm, the HDD isn't going to be used for anything but storage and back ups, I might just be able to salvage the one in his old comp, if it uses SATA cables. If so, I can exclude that part. Also, I'd really want the PC to be quiet at all times, hence the cooler on the AMD build, and it directs the airflow onto the motherboard like a stock cooler, which gives nice circulation of air.

I would normally be choosing an external hdd for backups, but he isn't very good with computers, and learning him how to do it without any further help later on is very, very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Caumen View Post
    Do you think it would be able to do any normal activity without any struggle? It's my biggest worry currently.
    If he only browse internet, write documents and all, it should be all good.
    i3-3220 is used in small gaming rigs, I doubt your father will do something that the i3-3220 can't handle
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

Quote Originally Posted by Caumen View Post

Hmmm, the HDD isn't going to be used for anything but storage and back ups, I might just be able to salvage the one in his old comp, if it uses SATA cables. If so, I can exclude that part. Also, I'd really want the PC to be quiet at all times, hence the cooler on the AMD build, and it directs the airflow onto the motherboard like a stock cooler, which gives nice circulation of air.

I would normally be choosing an external hdd for backups, but he isn't very good with computers, and learning him how to do it without any further help later on is very, very hard.
    If it's just for storage & backup and the SSD meant for OS+applications, Windows automatically shuts the HDD down resulting obviously less noise but WD's are just inaudible nowadays. The time that you need "extreme performing cpu's" is over. You'll easily survive with an i3 for years especially for such a light use. My old q9550 was even fine for that. I can only see one future-proof exampe for his use, that's just an ssd.