Deleted

Why is Protection Warrior so superrior at leveling?

This spec is really brutal I can 2 shot 90% of mobs. All I have to do is Shield Slam + Revenge, if there is one mob. Boring. Also I can 3 to 4 shot most non hybrid players 1v1. No way to do something like this with Arms and certainly not with Fury, which is the worst dmg spec for leveling lol. As prot I have best survivability + best damage + no problems with rage +
    i can solo 10 + mobs. I am not new to this game, so I can somehow accept that stupidity, but new players may get wrong feelings about Warrior. They might thing they will be able to do same things at lvl 90.
    So, my question is: why have Blizzard made the Protection spec the best leveling spec in the game? Why can I two shot mobs, while I need 4 to 5 shot in Arms and and even more in Fury spec? I really don't get it. Are there all other tanks working this way?
    How is protection 1v1 at 90, btw? I have to ask this, can't help myself lol.
    sorry for grammar

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    How is protection 1v1 at 90, btw?
    Not like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    All tanks are insane when it comes to leveling. One of the major reasons is they get their AOE really early in order to maintain threat in dungeons (however it makes them think they are gods). Combine that with extra survivability (that is what tanks do), vengeance and generally being less gear dependent and you have a recipe that makes tanks at lower levels a little OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're asking a company that makes the most useless slow in the game available to a class at level 36, 6 levels after they can talent Piercing Howl, and dumbs this class down every expansion, why things are the way that they are.

Just think about that for a second.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every tank is meant to be overpowered even at trivial 90 content like 5 man dungeons because Blizzard assumes that the best players will play tanks due to tanks generally having the most responsibility. So at low levels they have it set that Protection abilities like Shield Slam to have retarded scaling. That way, tanks can carry bad groups through dungeons no matter how bad the dps or healers are. Its structured in such a way that everybody wins no matter how bad everyone is.

The only reason Vengeance is in the game is to carry bad dps through dungeons and low level content.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Every tank is meant to be overpowered even at trivial 90 content like 5 man dungeons because Blizzard assumes that the best players will play tanks due to tanks generally having the most responsibility. So at low levels they have it set that Protection abilities like Shield Slam to have retarded scaling. That way, tanks can carry bad groups through dungeons no matter how bad the dps or healers are. Its structured in such a way that everybody wins no matter how bad everyone is.

The only reason Vengeance is in the game is to carry bad dps through dungeons and low level content.
    Don't even need tanks at low lvl, my disc priest tanks just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Err, I think the thing is that Blizzard assumes that many BAD players will also choose tank, but they want everyone to have a good dungeon experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    Don't even need tanks at low lvl, my disc priest tanks just fine.
    Anybody at low levels can tank, but bad players assume that only tank specs can tank dungeons. You can even tank dungeons as a dps spec in heroics.

---------- Post added 2013-05-31 at 11:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Err, I think the thing is that Blizzard assumes that many BAD players will also choose tank, but they want everyone to have a good dungeon experience.
    That's true too. They made tanking very simple that's it's easier than dps.

It is this way for all tanks thanks to a combination of Vengence, BoAs and leniency on dmg cause no one wants to wipe in Reg Seth Halls anymore. If tanks couldn't keep such massive threat and damage healers would go insane.

It is a law of nature that every dps will assume a skull marked target means do not attack it and each dps will attack a different target. The way things are, a tank and healer could pretty much clear a whole instance while 3 dps derp along behind em. A tank by him/her self for that matter could clear most instances.

Enjoy your OPness while it lasts. Don't be a jerk by spamming DPS meters after runs, cause it just makes you look a like douche. And understand that when you hit 90 things change You will actually have to worry about rotation & CDs, you will still be able to tank multiple mobs at once but they will not die much faster than if you were a dps and killing one at a time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    You're asking a company that makes the most useless slow in the game available to a class at level 36, 6 levels after they can talent Piercing Howl, and dumbs this class down every expansion, why things are the way that they are.

Just think about that for a second.
    PH is t3 talent

Deleted
    Bumping this, was going to make a sepperate thread but in before "Learn to use the search option"

When does arms or fury overtake protection in damage?
    I am very new to the warrior class, but I asume fury and arms starts to do more damage when weapon damage starts to scale harder then the flat scaling of revenge and shield slam? So that would be around level 78 when Cata twink weapons are available?

I like protection, but I think its a bit boring, I would rather swing 2 giant axas around, but with the extreme lack of hit and expertise on pre 70 leveling gear I would be daft not to use my protection 1 or 2 shotting juggernaught.

10+ Year Old Account
    Level 81+. Warrior damage is trash without Colossus Smash, cooldowns, and good trinkets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Level 81+. Warrior damage is trash without Colossus Smash, cooldowns, and good trinkets.
    Bleh, as I feared...

Time to stock up on shields and one-handers then till level 81.
    Personally I think its a really messed up way to balance a damage spec around a move you get after 81 levels, reminds me of Wrath ele-shamans and lavaburst.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    I somehow doubt you'll be able to 2shot mobs in the 87-90 region as prot. However, warriors have never ever had issues with leveling. Always leveled as Arms and it's bliss

Prot Warriors are just unbalanced at low levels, nothing can even come close in terms of damage when you're tanking instances. Though when it comes to single mobs questing I don't think prot is the highest damage spec (though it is certaintly very good, and the best warrior spec at low level) but you can pull as much as you want without worrying about survival and that comes in handy.

Long gone are the days where leveling up was long and difficult, where you had to be careful and where protection was the weakest of the 3 specs. I do think it is a little over the top how powerful low level warriors have been, even going back to Wrath of the Lich King, but in Cataclysm they got much more powerful again. I leveled another Warrior in Cataclysm (as prot) doing dungeons and usually I was doing 20x as much damage as any other player (yes 20x as much) and it was not until outland that some players (very good ones, mages) could get close, it was like "thunderclap > revenge > profit".

It doesn't last forever though, if it hasn't happened during Northrend then definitely by time you hit Cataclysm zones you will start to see a shift where you're not just wtfpwning everything you look at, still by no means does it mean you will be weak though, just no longer so overpowered.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2013-06-16 at 01:34 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Prot Warriors are just unbalanced at low levels, nothing can even come close in terms of damage when you're tanking instances.
    Try leveling a Prot paladin, same story there.