Girlfriend's laptop fried, looking for a new laptop in the UK (pain in the ass)

So basically, I have 0 idea how to shop for a decent laptop. She lives in the UK, Im in the US, and I was wondering if any other UK people have an idea of what I should be looking for Pricewise for a decent gaming laptop over there.

Budget Range would be preferrably ~800 pounds

She mostly just wants a laptop that can play current games. Not necessarily at the highest settings, but to give you a glimpse into her previous laptop, she had difficulties running things like Torchlight 2 and couldnt run things like Portal 2. She could also only run WoW at the lowest settings and still got 5-10 FPS at all times. She had a Dell XPS M1330 from a while ago, and it just completely stopped working today.

Laptop because she travels and visits me and doesn't want to have a PC AND a Laptop. The laptop just needs to be small enough to be able to be a carryon on a plane. Which shouldn't really limit it that much. lol

Ports and connectors shouldnt be a factor unless it has something like a single USB port. lol

She generally is near an outlet when she plays, so Battery lifetime shouldnt be too much of a factor, but would still be nice.

She has an OS, so thats not imperative.
    Last edited by moveth; 2013-06-16 at 08:31 PM.

Deleted
    Uhh .. like always, map out the requirements first, for example:
    - Budget range
    - Types of games and software it is supposed to run. Are we talking high-end gaming here or some casual browser games?
    - Why is it supposed to be a laptop? This probably means that it's supposed to be used mobile as well, so which requirements come with that? Battery lifetime, weight limits? etc.
    - Any special needs in regards to ports and connectors? (like do you NEED a display port/whatever or doesn't it matter...)
    - Display size, is she going to game on it via an external bigger screen, or is she going to game mostly on the internal screen? So which size would she prefer because of that? --> Remember, a bigger screen leads to more weight and less battery lifetime. So yes, think about stuff like that too
    - Does she need a laptop that comes with an OS/license or not?

After you got that mapped out (and whatever else you can think about), it's normally pretty easy to make a choice while being sure that she is going to be happy with it.

I updated the post with the things you suggested Tinten. Thanks :]

I dont know the conversion from dollars to pounds, but ibuypower has some rather nice laptops with gaming in mind. I dont know if it is okay to post links or if it against rules so I wont post it. A simple search on goggle will take you there.

Wonderful Sig made by Torgerd

Deleted
    Im not sure how much it costs in pounds, but seeing as its around 800 euros over here. It should be a bit less.

You can get a lenovo y500. I think it has an i7 quadcore with either a 650 or 750 as a gpu. That should fit your GFs need perfectly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...031&sort=price

Price ranged from £750 to £850 on Amazon.co.uk

If she wants a gaming oriented laptop purely, I would take the MSI GE60 0NC-622UK

But feel free to browse and see what fits the best.

Quote Originally Posted by catbeef View Post

ps. completely unrelated, how much of a hard time do immigration give her? i think they're tired of seeing my face at seatac.
    Sometimes, 0 trouble. Sometimes, usually in Chicago when she layovers there, a TON of trouble. They literally interrogated her like she was a terrorist.