HTC One vs Samsung Galaxy S4 vs other "Flagship" phones

Assuming the $100 price difference isn't a big deal, which one is considered "better"? I'm also willing to consider other "flagship" class phones.

As I understand it, the differences are:

• HTC utilizes uber pixels but has a lower resolution 4MP vs 8MP
    • HTC has an IPS panel
    • Screen - 4.7" (HTC) vs 5" (Samsung)
    • HTC - metal vs Samsung - plastic
    • Samsung has a nicer CPU package (octocore, not sure if its available in the US)

Is the Android OS on the two phones roughly the same with regards to browser and email?

Whats the deal with "Nexus Experience"? Can I get Nexus Experience phones on contract (ATT)?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Is the Android OS on the two phones roughly the same with regards to browser and email?
    The apps like GMail are the same (on the Samsung). Most apps are the same with exceptions, such as apps bundled or part of the manufacturer's custom changes. The difference between say, Samsung and stock Android is what we know to be TouchWiz. It's Samsung's "look and feel" and it's a bit like a "skin". It makes various changes to things like the launcher, camera, gallery, settings, etc. At the end of the day it's still Android, just parts of it look slightly different and some things like the gallery are effectively different apps.

Whats the deal with "Nexus Experience"? Can I get Nexus Experience phones on contract (ATT)?
    There was some talk about giving customers a "pure Android" option on the S4. It was announced, but I believe it was more expensive and I don't actually know anything more than that. I've flashed a custom ROM onto my S3 (running ParanoidAndroid 3.6 atm) to get the pure Android experience but of course this does things like void the warranty, etc.
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2013-06-18 at 07:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are heavy apps user i would not buy the S4 if you need the space for the apps. At least the 16GB model comes with around 9GB usable space. Yes you have the SD Card but can't load apps on it without modding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSupremus View Post
    If you are heavy apps user i would not buy the S4 if you need the space for the apps. At least the 16GB model comes with around 9GB usable space. Yes you have the SD Card but can't load apps on it without modding.
    A typical app is about 10 or 20MB in size (okay lets say including cache and data files, etc.. it's an average of.. what.. 50MB?).. You've got to be going some to have 9GB of apps!
    Media (photos, videos) can go on the SD card, and you can always get the 32GB version.

Just checked my S3, 72 apps installed (all the popular stuff and a couple of games), apps are only using 0.92GB of storage space. Lets say including cache and misc, we're looking at 1.5GB.. That's an average of 21MB per app.
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2013-06-18 at 11:15 AM.

Deleted
    The 4MP stuff isn't so bad. Because on most monitors these days you can't display more than 4-5 MP anyway. (Or so I heard)

But I have the One and love the premium feel and the speakers.

HTC One is better at lowlight, the 13 MP S4 is better in good conditions, and gives more detail when zoomed in. The .2 gHz difference does not matter that much, it's a very small difference, especially because the S4 has a lot more bloatware you have to manage. Basically the difference is having tons of features that may not work all the time (S4) vs less features that work, and a much more premium feel and MUCH better speakers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    A typical app is about 10 or 20MB in size (okay lets say including cache and data files, etc.. it's an average of.. what.. 50MB?).. You've got to be going some to have 9GB of apps!
    Media (photos, videos) can go on the SD card, and you can always get the 32GB version.

Just checked my S3, 72 apps installed (all the popular stuff and a couple of games), apps are only using 0.92GB of storage space. Lets say including cache and misc, we're looking at 1.5GB.. That's an average of 21MB per app.
    Whole lot application not just small software but games can crank up to 1GB per app and even more at times.

---------- Post added 2013-06-18 at 03:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywongg View Post
    HTC One is better at lowlight, the 13 MP S4 is better in good conditions, and gives more detail when zoomed in. The .2 gHz difference does not matter that much, it's a very small difference, especially because the S4 has a lot more bloatware you have to manage. Basically the difference is having tons of features that may not work all the time (S4) vs less features that work, and a much more premium feel and MUCH better speakers.
    You can always bump up the clock speed on the HTC 1, the .2 bump won't break the phone.

IMO they're basically all the same.

Get the one with the best battery.

I recently bought a Lumia 920. Went for 2/3 price of Galaxy S4 and I can say I am enjoying it quite a lot - the OS is brilliant, camera is excellent, battery is OK (2 days with skyping whole day) and the whole experience is very fluid. A lot of storage as well - 32 GBs.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    The 4MP stuff isn't so bad. Because on most monitors these days you can't display more than 4-5 MP anyway. (Or so I heard)
    High resolution helps a lot when taking pictures of text; 4MP would be a downgrade from my current 5MP phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    But I have the One and love the premium feel and the speakers.
    I'll have to check out the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunius View Post
    I recently bought a Lumia 920.
    I'm coming from a Windows phone and I really like the OS, but no Windows 8 phones are "flagships" models. A big part of that is 1080p.

My two "favourite" smart phones today (I don't own either) would be the Sony Xperia Z and the Nokia Lumia 920.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    My two "favourite" smart phones today (I don't own either) would be the Sony Xperia Z and the Nokia Lumia 920.
    Xperia Z is T-Mobile only.

I was sold based on a couple of reviews. Unfortunately, the unlocked version of the Xperia Z isn't an option.

I have no idea how the American telemarket works (but it seems unhealthy to me as an outsider - no offense meant to anyone!)

Either way.. What do you need it for? I have a SGS II and its performance has not let me down thus far. And it was released more than 24 months ago which is the standard contract length afaik; It likely won't be fine in another 24 months, but for now, eh.
    What I'm trying to say is, are you sure you need the top of the line? And a big one? Personally, I'm considering, instead of replacing my phone, getting a Nexus 7-refresh rumoured to coming in July (1920x1200 among other things) instead.

As far as the "octa-core" for the SGS IV, I would not call it such. First, it's a phone, what do you need more than two cores for? :P And secondly, you can only have four active at the same time. Either four performance or four power-saving ones.

As for my opinion on the two listed phones, I would never recommend HTC.

High resolution helps a lot when taking pictures of text; 4MP would be a downgrade from my current 5MP phone.
    And diagrams. Need a snapshot of the entire whiteboard diagram at work? 4MP may not cut it.

HTC One has a very nice camera. It's very good in low-light.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/...31862/review/7

I think the HTC is actually a superior phone, but I bought the Samsung GS4 because of the replaceable battery.

What I'm trying to say is, are you sure you need the top of the line? And a big one? Personally, I'm considering, instead of replacing my phone, getting a Nexus 7-refresh rumoured to coming in July (1920x1200 among other things) instead.
    Like consoles, most Windows 8 phones are already outdated on release. Seeing as how the mobile market moves as fast as it does, I really don't want to buy outdated hardware. A lot of my original qualms about Android (mainly regarding UI) were alleviated when I learned that almost every aspect of Android can be customized.

As a dude with fat inaccurate fingers and big pockets, I prefer big rather than small.

I don't see much of a use for tablets at the moment and I'm currently on 3G which is pretty brutal. I don't use data all that much, but it needs to be fast when I actually do - eg. looking for directions or looking up reviews on a set of speakers while browsing at BestBuy.

As far as the "octa-core" for the SGS IV, I would not call it such. First, it's a phone, what do you need more than two cores for? :P And secondly, you can only have four active at the same time. Either four performance or four power-saving ones.
    While the SG4 isn't a true octa core, I like the fact that it has what you need when you need it. Its pretty disappointing how us Americans only get stripped editions of phones. Gimped dual core for the SG3 and quad instead of octa for the SG4. And we're supposed to be the rich country.

As for my opinion on the two listed phones, I would never recommend HTC.
    Yeah, I'm leaning towards the SG4 because I just realized I can't give up a high resolution camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    And diagrams. Need a snapshot of the entire whiteboard diagram at work? 4MP may not cut it.
    Definitely.

Thanks everyone for all your help.