I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

EA is not planning to reinstate the online pass on PS4

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/ea...-staying-dead/

"It's dead, it's dead, it's deep-sixed, it's at the bottom of the Mariana Trench," Electronic Arts' President of EA Labels Frank Gibeau stated [...]

"The amount of money that we made, it didn't replace the amount of frustration we put on our customers and it didn't offset the reputation damage it caused the company. So we said 'it's not worth it,' and so the idea was, look, 'don't do stuff like that anymore,'" said Gibeau [...]

"Do used game buyers of FIFA participate in Ultimate Team? Yeah. Is it possible they might buy DLC? Yeah. Frankly, we're being more nuanced and sophisticated about it. Before we used a blunt instrument. Now we're going to be like 'Look, they own it, they bought the disc and it's theirs. They have a legitimate right for not doing anything illegal.'" Gibeau continued [...]

[...]he said there was no conspiracy with Microsoft and he had no idea what Sony would do. He concluded, "At the end of the day, we're not going to replace [Online Pass]. It's not coming back. It's dead."

EA can't reinstate the online pass on PS4. Sony said they will not allow it, don't let EA fool you into thinking that this was their idea.

We've already come right out and said we're not going to allow online pass. And the word "allow" is key there. Specifically with online, with PS+ requiring a charge to play online, we would not want any publisher [to charge.]
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...nline_pass.php

with PSN+ being required to play online multiplayer, of course online passes won't come back

Quote Originally Posted by Shink View Post
    with PSN+ being required to play online multiplayer, of course online passes won't come back
    Pretty much this, but that's more of a side effect.

We still haven't gotten a real reason why PS+ will cost money now. Not that it's a big deal but I already pay for my internet, why do I have to pay more to use it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    "The amount of money that we made, it didn't replace the amount of frustration we put on our customers and it didn't offset the reputation damage it caused the company. So we said 'it's not worth it,' and so the idea was, look, 'don't do stuff like that anymore,'" said Gibeau [...]

You would think microsoft might use some benchmarking and learn from this quote, but then again I can't give Microsoft much credit as their president isn't even capable of doing a decent interview without tripping all over himself and eating his own foot.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2013-06-13 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

We still haven't gotten a real reason why PS+ will cost money now. Not that it's a big deal but I already pay for my internet, why do I have to pay more to use it?
    It's a separate service, like many others that require Internet on top of their fee.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

If it helps them harden their security and improve their network infrastructure I am all for it. If we continue to have the same issues I am going to be pretty irritated. I am not going to fool myself into thinking it wont happen because you cannot stop 100% intrusions into your network, at least while it is connected to the internet, but as long as it reduces it and I don't mind.

Deleted
    I don't mind paying for an online service like PS+ regardless of online passes or not.

One of the main selling points of the 360 compared to the PS3 was the fact that xbox live seemed to be alot more stable.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    looks like they are sticking to their guns, despite microsoft reversal policy on used games

oh I am sure they have something else up there sleeves

Online passes didn't work. That's why they won't come back.

Mostly single player games were still traded in because nobody gave a fuck about the multi-player. Multi-player games worth playing typically weren't traded in anyway, because people keep them around so they can play them online with friends.

Instead, you can expect to be nickel-and-dimed to death if you dare to play a game for more than a few weeks. Buy hats, buy resources, buy the grind away. It'll be like free-2-play, without being free. They'll just be throwing this at the wall and seeing what sticks.