Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Flying Pigs: A Positive SWTOR Thread

So, it's Friday and I have to admit something. It can likely be attirbuted to my bipolar MMO disorder, where I must play them all, but I reinstalled SWTOR the other night. I haven't done anything crazy like spend money or purchase RotHC, but I did play. So here's some out of character statements:

-Forgot how fun just playing the game is. Forcing myself to ignore that a company I hate has involvement in it, forgetting past experiences, and just playing the game is immensely fun.

-To help aid the previous statement, I said goodbye to some old alts (none higher than level 15) so I could make a new character. I was a little annoyed that character creation is so limited, but even more annoyed that I was actually tempted to buy the cathar b/c they look so cool. (I played around at the make up station on my main to see what they could look like) I may need to hide my wallet this weekend.

-Even with the in your face reminders (which really are as bad as we all said a long time ago) the game was inherently captivating. I 'forced' myself to watch cutscenes play out and it was generally a nice change of pace. I looked at my environment, took my time, generally got involved in the game instead of merely smashing my buttons running from quest to quest.

-The game still looks great and feels slightly better optimized than the last time I played. I always liked their aesthetic and think they nailed the SW feel. I actually looked at all the glowy lights, buttons and text on consoles, etc. Definitely an underrated game graphically, as it gets overshadowed by the poor optimization.

The take away is really no different than I have said all along. The basic game is honestly very good. The quest experience, the design, all very smooth. It will surely not last long enough to overcome my anger with everything else, but it does highlight the greatest thing about F2P games. They are free. I will probably play this character, reroll another alt, and just generally mess around in the game because that's the beauty of F2P.

Anyone else have similar experiences recently or in the past...dusted off a toon and just played because you could?
    BAD WOLF

I hear you and I am very tempted to get back myself sometimes. My main problems are:

a) comparing their F2P mode with what I get from Tera (and now Rift) makes me very negative towards returning

b) having played The Secret World for some time as well, I can definitely say that for my taste it destroys SWTOR in terms of leveling/story/writing/atmosphere, the strong points of SWTOR apparently. And since I already bought TSW I can also play it for free too (and with zero restrictions).

It's a shame really because I have been playing Star Wars games since the original X-Wing and when done well I really do enjoy them. This one is a major disappointment for me primarily because of how much of a missed chance I feel it is, rather than how bad it is per se.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pourekos View Post
    It's a shame really because I have been playing Star Wars games since the original X-Wing and when done well I really do enjoy them. This one is a major disappointment for me primarily because of how much of a missed chance I feel it is, rather than how bad it is per se.
    Yes, other models are better and I agree with you on the missed chance. I do think all of the crud aside though, the game in its purest sense is just awesome. To me, playing SWTOR under the F2P wing makes it feel more like a single player RPG. It's like a weird hybrid genre between an MMO and a single player RPG. Obviously that's not a good thing for the game, but for an individual player it's honestly not that bad.

This is the first time I've approached the game without the MMO mindset and I find that it hits home a lot better. This obviously reinforces the fact that this should have been KotOR III, but meh. While so many of us are disappointed, it's interesting that Disney handed the entire SWTOR video game control over to Bioware. Especially after such an initial failure with this game, it makes me think that they must be raking in the cash hand over fist with the new model.

While I won't contribute to that, I can still support and enjoy the game for what it is. I guess this can be encouragement to other players who have been similarly disenchanted with the MMO. It may be worth their time to pick this one back up to play through at no cost. When I remove the idea of me needing to give them money, when I disregard that they are actively seeking money, and instead focus on just playing the game at face value...I find that it rapidly grows on you again.

Could just be me though.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    This is like the opposite of those Snickers commercials, and in this case you have become a happy praise-giving player. I guess what I'm saying is...Kitty, do you need me to drive downtown and give you a Snickers? ; )

It's funny that you posted this... I was involved in SWTOR since beta and ended up with 8 characters (one for each option) and played most of them into the 30's before the game wore off and I didn't go back until recently. I had the urge the other night to take a look at the game and created a new Knight to level up from the start.

After a couple of nights of taking my time and paying attention to the story I am starting to really enjoy playing the game again, just like yourself. Yes there are issues and problems that are still there, but my goal now is to take it real slow and just enjoy the experience without thinking about level 50, or even about the next planet.

Interesting timing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    This is like the opposite of those Snickers commercials, and in this case you have become a happy praise-giving player. I guess what I'm saying is...Kitty, do you need me to drive downtown and give you a Snickers? ; )
    Oh god no...we had buffalo chicken wraps at our Caf today. If I eat anything I'm going to throw up hot sauce everywhere.

I've always given the actual game a repreieve from my scathing criticism, which is normally targetted solely at managers and developers that have their fingers in what could be a very tasty pie. Sometimes it's just nice to take a zen breath and just talk about what you like for a change.

I tend to bounce between MMOs constantly as I honestly like them all a great deal, but I have found myself going back to WoW and SWTOR in a very strange turn of events. WoW I've been enjoying immensely for the last 1.5 months and SWTOR I have a feeling I will enjoy periodically a great deal. I really feel like MMOs make those of us who play them all go nuts/bipolar.

It would be much easier if I had never played anything except for WoW. Sure I wouldn't have seen all this cool stuff, but it would be easier to focus and I wouldn't keep feeling pulled to play everything under the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Javabeans View Post
    Interesting timing
    Glad to hear it. It's strange how perspective can change your game experience a great deal. I think it's one of the reasons why I enjoy Steam sales so much. Sure you may buy a ton of games you won't play for years, or might not enjoy that much now, but in 2 years you might dust something off and find out it's one of your most favorite games of all time.

Really I'm just a nut for games and MMOs in particular.
    BAD WOLF

The game in indeed pretty good if you approach it like a single player game like the other KOTOR games. Even multiplayer works as long as your questing and doing flash points together. That leveling is the game, and once you finish off your class story there really isn't much more content to play with.

SWTOR definitely has my favorite leveling experience out of any MMO out there by far, at least when I was playing it prior to the F2P method. Where the game fell apart was is the end game, prior to that it is a great game. Huttball is still super fun as well, I could do those all day.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmmm....Buffalo Chicken...

Well you picked a good time to check back in. Double XP Weekend is going on. I'm finally going to finish up my Smuggler...then never ever play him again. I'm working on my 2nd SW as well as an Operative now that my Assassin is maxed out in PvP gear. Also thinking about starting a Merc...Aside from stories, the other thing SWTOR nailed was making classes that are FUN to play. I swear I enjoy so many of the classes, moreso than any other MMO I can think of.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would totally return if they took off the barbaric experience limiter on premium members.

If I am going to spend my money on something, it better be cooler than "Level up at the same rate you used to!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    the other thing SWTOR nailed was making classes that are FUN to play. I swear I enjoy so many of the classes, moreso than any other MMO I can think of.
    I think a lot of games are starting to nail this. It seems like such a simple thing, that it would have to be the case in every game. I think the problem is with diversity in the experiences. In SWTOR playing a different class is really playing a different class. Not just playing a ranged class with different spell effects.

Wildstar looks like it will nail the same approach to be honest. Wow to an extent has tried to diversify their classes similarly, though have been held back by the need to homogenize for fairness' sake. I think the personal story also does a fantastic job to constantly remind you 'hey man, this is different...this is unique and not like playing some other class'.
    BAD WOLF

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Glad to hear it. It's strange how perspective can change your game experience a great deal. I think it's one of the reasons why I enjoy Steam sales so much. Sure you may buy a ton of games you won't play for years, or might not enjoy that much now, but in 2 years you might dust something off and find out it's one of your most favorite games of all time.
    Holy crap! I just looked at my Steam account over lunch. Their summer sale usually lands next month. And yeah, I've got about half a dozen games from last year that I never even played past the intro. But I can't wait to add more!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakwazu View Post
    If I am going to spend my money on something, it better be cooler than "Level up at the same rate you used to!"
    Yeah...a lot of the restrictions are disheartening. However, they do have double XP weekends and quests do reward lots of experience boosters. I'm not even level 10 and I've already received 3 of them on the character I just created. I think the overall perception damage is done, but they have implemented a lot of things to negate some of those bad initial decisions.

Unfortunately there's no way to really tell people about it and some won't be able to get over it. I'm often unable to get past many of their mistakes.

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 03:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    Holy crap! I just looked at my Steam account over lunch. Their summer sale usually lands next month. And yeah, I've got about half a dozen games from last year that I never even played past the intro. But I can't wait to add more!!!
    Agreed. That's how I look at MMOs too lol...I've been uninstalling a lot lately (including this one obviously) in order to focus on the ones I'm playing. It always is an attempt to control my crazed need to play all of the MMOs ever made. Clearly, as I have reinstalled SWTOR and am even saying such nice things about it, I fail miserably at keeping them uninstalled.
    BAD WOLF

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Agreed. That's how I look at MMOs too lol...I've been uninstalling a lot lately (including this one obviously) in order to focus on the ones I'm playing. It always is an attempt to control my crazed need to play all of the MMOs ever made. Clearly, as I have reinstalled SWTOR and am even saying such nice things about it, I fail miserably at keeping them uninstalled.
    Understood. It is just not a great MMO for your normal MMO player. It is awesome for me, though. And, if you approach it correctly (F2P with no illusions), it is a pretty good distraction for anyone. But it won't live up to anyone's all-in-one only game. I like to play in my free time, when I am wanting some star wars. I subscribe, and I enjoy the perks. Someday, when I finish all 8 class stories, I might unsub. Seeing as how I've only finished 2, it won't be anytime soon (honestly, not sure how I feel about that).

ya know i gotta say

I recently got out of the MMO mindset myself and am going more the single player in a big galaxy mindset. MAN i am enjoying this game more now. I dont worry bout having that TOP end game gear and just alt hop everyother day and play what i want to play.

Its a good feeling and made me enjoy the game that much more. but i did try the pref status and I just cant see me not paying my sub lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    I recently got out of the MMO mindset myself and am going more the single player in a big galaxy mindset. MAN i am enjoying this game more now. I dont worry bout having that TOP end game gear and just alt hop everyother day and play what i want to play.
    It's odd, but I think their F2P model actually reinforces the good things about the solo game and spotlights everything wrong with the MMO aspect. I still have high hopes that this game can become something great. They've made some strides for sure, but I still don't see the commitment to it. I'm hoping this Bounty Event is done properly and they can add in some more flavor events.

I still don't like the need to create a reputation for every single thing they add and tie it into the cash shop 100 times over, but the game desperately needs some depth. If this is the first step towards real space and customizable ship, more mini games, etc...maybe they are headed to a really great place.

For now I'll continue to just enjoy it like it isn't an MMO, which like you said actually frees you to enjoy it more.
    BAD WOLF

I would personally return if they removed the how many times you can do a pvp match or pve dungeon and I would return if the raids could be playable to free to play members and also let me do the level 60 content without having to pay 20$ to do it.

ya I know it seems like I am asking for a lot but...there is way more other mmo's out there that don't limit me in the way SWTOR dose.

But the way I feel is they can't milk you to death with the cash shop then try to charge you for a update as well....sorry but I personally won't let Bioware/EA have there cake and eat it to.

I was really wanting SWTOR be to me what SWG was to my brother and his gf since I never got to play SWG.

I would try to enjoy it as a single player game but all that dose is remind me that its not KOTORIII.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I would try to enjoy it as a single player game but all that dose is remind me that its not KOTORIII.
    It's funny though...that's what it sorta feels like if you only ask it to be that. Kinda what I'm experiencing. I'm not thinking what am I going to do when I hit 50, do I need to consider raiding, doing dailies, etc...I'm just playing the game and not thinking about any of that.

That liberation from traditional MMO rushing just lets me see the game differently. Mind you it is only temporary, but it's still fun.
    BAD WOLF

My friend, I seriously urge you to try The Secret World. For all the things you say you enjoy SWTOR for (as a nice single-player RPG with some interesting multiplayer aspects but not as an MMO) TSW is miles ahead imo. And since you mentioned Steam, I have heard that they have it on offer every now and then :-). The only caution would be on the required specs to run it properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    TSW and SWTOR are different flavors. Both are good flavors, but if you are in the mood for Peach you don't want to taste Mint Chocolate.

Specifically, SWTOR makes you feel like a hero and the center of the galaxy. You have a support crew and a ship and fly all over the place making choices and talking with people. TSW makes you feel like an investigator, a part of a larger organization who is unearthing secrets of vast conspiracies and plots.

For the hero thing it depends on the class, I really didn't feel like it on my smuggler or even the trooper. I mean it was "go around to get x, y, z people to face A and then go around again to find X,Y, Z to face B. The end". It did feel pretty epic though in TSW for example taking down the Black Pharaoh in a chamber inside a pyramid, that pretty much resembled something straight out of an Aliens film, plus I had a few demi-gods giving me a hand while doing so which did made me feel a hero and the centre of the universe. Also, the quest chain for The Vanishing of Tyler Freeborn has to be the best quest series I have played in any game in the last decade.

Anyway, back to SWTOR and being positive about it :-)