Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Low Frame Rate In WoW With Windows 8

I just installed wow after doing a fresh windows 8 pro installation. Looking to play again. After a fresh install of wow, I log in, edit my settings. Sitting in Stormwind doing nothing with maybe an average amount of people, I'm sitting around 25 fps. I used to sit around 45 with Windows 7 a few months back. So I tried turning down ALL my video card settings and I get maybe... maybe 45-50 fps. Like really? Can anyone help me increase my fps with my graphics still being up.

Here are some screen shots of my system

320.18 Nvidia driver version

Fixed -
    I went directly to Intel's website and grabbed the latest versions of the Management Engine, HD Graphics drivers and the INF ( chipset ) drivers. Then I went to Realtek's website and grabbed the latest Sound and Ethernet drivers.

Once installed and updated, I went into device manager and disabled Intel's HD Graphics from running so only my Nvidia 660 TI was working.

I also removed Lucid Virtu MVP ( whatever the latest version was ). Was supposed to help with gaming...

I then ran Ccleaner and Registry Mechanic 11.1 to clean up my system.

I now have 55-60 fps all the time in Stormwind now with graphics maxed besides ssao and shadows with Directx 11 enabled. But for some reason I have to leave multi-sampling at 1x. If I go to anything higher, wow will overscan my tv. Weird.

Doing all of this also fixed my movie maker crashing issue and my screen saver now works properly.
    Last edited by Holyshnikies; 2013-06-25 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Fixed most problems

Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    <snip>windows 8<snip>
    There is your problem right there...

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    Nah games run fine on 8 least in my experience. It's likely a hardware / driver issue

Deleted
    you're not overclocking so don't bother with that evga tool IMO.

Make sure you have the latest (and 64bit versions if needed) of:

Sound card drivers
    nVidia Graphics card driver
    Intel chipset drivers
    BIOS update

Personally I can't stand Windows8 but it shouldn't be "that" much of a difference in terms of fps.

EDIT - When you say "a few months back" was that pre-MoP? New graphical changes and whatnot (like SSAO) were introduced which did have a performance hit.
    Last edited by mmoc0cdb03e806; 2013-06-25 at 12:32 AM.

During the winter before 5.3 hit. And I have the latest drivers of everything. This is a fresh system install. And yeah im not overclocking anything. I have no over heating issues either.

I use windows 8 and have had no problem with the games I play on including wow, I've not updated any drivers bar my graphics drivers this whole time, should get around to doing that though.

I have :

i5-2500k factory clocked
    EVGA GTX 660ti factory overclocked
    8 gigs of ram
    Windows 8

LOL YOU'RE SO FUNNEH! </sarcasm>

Change your DX version.

I had a framerate drop in WoW after I installed 8 until I switched to DX 11.

Open WoW. At the login screen click System on the right. Click Advanced > Graphics API on the bottom > Choose DX11. If you're already on 11, try switching to 9 and see if you get a boost in framerate.

Edit: Make sure you restart the client after changing DX versions.
    Last edited by Dirgon; 2013-06-25 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dejec1989 View Post
    I use windows 8 and have had no problem with the games I play on including wow, I've not updated any drivers bar my graphics drivers this whole time, should get around to doing that though.

I have :

i5-2500k factory clocked
    EVGA GTX 660ti factory overclocked
    8 gigs of ram
    Windows 8
    We have almost the same system setup. What is your fps during raids?

Windows 8 actually performs better for games than Windows 7. I wouldn't knock it. (Mainly because Aero glass doesn't exist in 8)

OP, what is your resolution set at, and are you in windowed mode?

1920x1080. With directx 11, I have to use full screen windowed mode because my tv overscans. And for some reason, directx 9 isn't loading the game after i select which character to log in with. I even did the repair thing.

Hurr Hurr hilarious. I've been using Windows 8 since it's release date in Aus and it's done nothing but run perfectly. I've not had a FPS issue in WoW that I didn't have on Windows 7. It does sound like you may have a driver or setting issue or perhaps the GFX card is overheating? my bro had that same issue recently. heaps of FPS issues on all games. I went over to his place and cleaned the dust out of the graphics card and it's back to running normally again...

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    Hurr Hurr hilarious. I've been using Windows 8 since it's release date in Aus and it's done nothing but run perfectly. I've not had a FPS issue in WoW that I didn't have on Windows 7. It does sound like you may have a driver or setting issue or perhaps the GFX card is overheating? my bro had that same issue recently. heaps of FPS issues on all games. I went over to his place and cleaned the dust out of the graphics card and it's back to running normally again...
    I don't over heat lol. I have an XClio case with 2x 250 mm fans on them. Took it to the air compressor before I installed windows 8.

Im beginning to wonder if this may be an Intel driver issue of some sort...

We have almost the same system setup. What is your fps during raids?
    I raid 10 man, I've never paid attention to my frame rate, but I can honestly say I've never noticed stutter even while raiding and that is with mumble and trance.fm playing in the background, oh and with WoW set to high on my processing list.

Edit : I have WoW set to ultra 1080p except for Texture Filtering, I've set that at 2 x Anisotropic
    Last edited by dejec1989; 2013-06-25 at 02:42 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I raid 10 man, I've never paid attention to my frame rate, but I can honestly say I've never noticed stutter even while raiding and that is with mumble and trance.fm playing in the background, oh and with WoW set to high on my processing list.
    I'm curious on your frame rate via LFR then :P

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy - View Post
    I'm curious on your frame rate via LFR then :P
    Not a clue, again I don't have any problems to report, machine runs fine, only time I get lag is when my ms spikes and that's rare

Edit : I have WoW set to ultra 1080p except for Texture Filtering, I've set that at 2 x Anisotropic
    I just logged in and was down to about 15-20 fps in stormwind. Everything on ultra except shadow on low and ssao disabled. I used to run the same set up and get way way higher fps.

Deleted
    "not a stutter" means different things to different people. I have an overclocked i7 2700k, ATI Radeon 7970 and 16GB 1600MHZ Ram... 1080p on mainly ultra with view distance, shadows and water quality dropped down to "high".

It still doesn't hold 60FPS constantly, that's just the nature of WoW. I've seen it in the 40s during LFR and whatnot, doesn't hold 60FPS during busy city times either. (vsync)

But yeah, clean install or not I'd make sure everything's updated and you're using 64bit drivers.

I have no problem getting 100+ fps in cities and 40-50 in raids on windows 8, the problem is either driver or an actual hardware issue.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

I just logged in and was down to about 15-20 fps in stormwind. Everything on ultra except shadow on low and ssao disabled. I used to run the same set up and get way way higher fps.
    Hovering above Stormwind right now and at 60fps but it's night time so the area is dead. I would assume it's going to be around 35-50 when it gets busy.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Install drivers from nVidia, not the ones Windows 8 is using... you'll need to download them from their website.