Poll: Are you afraid of or uncomfortable with bugs?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I love spiders but I think pretty much every other insect is creepy as fuck. Thats probably because the spiders here in sweden is rather tiny and cute

10+ Year Old Account
    Insects are just "there" to me. They don't bother me and if one is in my house like a Bee or something, I just throw it outside. Spiders are cool to me, if one is in my house, I leave it alone.

I was born in Africa, grew up playing with all types of creepy crawlies, love them all bar one.
    Still to this day i do not like Centipedes in fact they freak me out.

Most bugs, yes. But I get hysterical when I see cock roaches, grass hoppers, crickets, and I'll just go ahead and add large spiders to the list as well :P Also hate moths, and butterflies. Strangely, scorpions don't bother me so much. Used to live in central texas, out in the rural areas, so they were fairly normal. It didn't matter what precautions you'd take, you'd still see them on occasion :/ I've been stung twice in my own bed, had one crawl up my leg, and had one drop from the ceiling and land next to me on the couch. BUT I like them because they eat the grasshoppers and crickets! Along with the wolf spiders...

It was a choice to keep the beneficial bugs over the scary ones :P Useful arachnids vs useless bugs. Needless to say, I'm happy we moved out of that house. I'll take the occasional cock roach we see in FL to the amount of grasshoppers I saw in TX. UGH.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a problem with lady bugs, cater-pillars, butter flys, Ants, worms. But I am scared as hell of spiders they terrify me I mean they are so small but like we they's hairy as legs.

i dont feel scared of bugs in general, but the faster they move the more "threatening" they appear to me. cant stand skittering

Anything larger then a quarter is dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Anything with more than 4 legs is an abomination in my book.
    This is gospel truth.

Five legs = Reaper
    Six legs = Insect
    Seven legs = mutant insect or disabled spider
    Eight legs = spider
    Nine or more legs = FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    very, the other night a beetle flew into my room, i screamed like a girl.

was some huge flying beetle thing, no idea what it was, doubt its very common in south England though. friend said it was probably a stag beetle.
    dragonmaw - EU

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Centipedes... especially the ones with the long spindly legs, all 80000000 of them. Like this http://arkadiapest.com/yahoo_site_ad...143351_std.jpg

Millipedes are fine tho... besides they move much slower, and are vegetarians
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2013-06-26 at 09:12 PM.

I am not necessarily afraid of them just what some of them can do. I don't run away flailing my arms screaming. But do my best to defend against Mosquito and Tick bites, as both commonly carry life threatening diseases, one of which I have had before in Lyme's disease. I hate ticks and mosquito's most of my friends have also had lymes disease at one time or another, as we are all outdoors a lot.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    Spiders though... One night I was outside having a smoke, when i noticed a large wolf spider sitting next to my garage door. I made the only rational decision at this point, which was exterminate it with extreme prejudice. So I give it a good stomp... squish... I move my foot back and see ten thousand baby wolf spiders start streaming away from the corpse. I'm wearing sandals too... now the next five seconds are pretty much a blur or terrified adrenaline, I'm not entirely sure I screamed like a little girl. But it's a pretty good guess I did.
    This is called karmic payback... that one spider (and the babies) that you killed would have eaten thousands more bugs if you hadn't gone out of your way to kill them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Creepy crawlies, skittering or slithering ones. Hell yes. Flying ones ? not really.

Fuck those things.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the most part, I have no issues with bugs, or any crawly thing for that matter. I even like spiders. There is one bug I do not like, and that is only because one morning I woke up and saw one on my g/f's shoulder while she was still sleeping. That bug would be a silverfish. I think if I saw it normally, I would be fine. But the fact that I was coming out of my nightly sleep and the first thing I see is that, it creeps me out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    For the most part, I have no issues with bugs, or any crawly thing for that matter. I even like spiders. There is one bug I do not like, and that is only because one morning I woke up and saw one on my g/f's shoulder while she was still sleeping. That bug would be a silverfish. I think if I saw it normally, I would be fine. But the fact that I was coming out of my nightly sleep and the first thing I see is that, it creeps me out.

I'd probably take a shotgun to that thing . . .

Or maybe just . . .

It's the only way to be sure.
    Putin khuliyo

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    That's a centipede... not a silverfish.

This is a silverfish:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    That's a centipede... not a silverfish.

This is a silverfish:
    Meh, I Google'd "Weird bugs" at the time it happened and it said silverfish, so I always just assumed. I never saw one before that or after. I Googled silverfish to find that picture though, so I blame them lol If it is a centipede in my picture, then that's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, I'm fine with most. A wasp or angry hornet, blood sucking tick or a scary kind of spider (granted not a bug)...those might be a bit of an exception, but otherwise most don't bother me. I actually like spiders, but largely the fuzzy ones. Total opposite of my younger sister who once ran to get me to remove a spider from her room...that turned out to be plastic.

Weird related fact.. pill bugs (aka Rolly Pollies aka whatever else), that I personally loved as a kid, are not bugs - they're terrestrial crustaceans.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2013-06-27 at 01:31 AM.

Check out some of these bad boys! http://www.cracked.com/article_15816...-in-world.html

I think my favorite is the Soldier Ant:

Army or Soldier Ant (Eciton burchellii)

The Amazon Basin. There's other subfamilies living in Asia and Africa, but these are the most notorious.

Why you must fear it:
    By now, you will not be surprised to hear that these ants are, in fact, fucking huge, with the soldiers reaching a half inch in length. You will also not be surprised to learn that they have massive, powerful, machete-like jaws half the length of the soldiers themselves. They're notorious for dismantling any living thing in their path, regardless of size. They're also completely blind, which for some reason makes the whole thing worse.

They're called 'Army' ants because their entire colony, comprising up to and over one million insects, is a 100 percent mobile battalion. They don't make permanent hives like other ants, no, they bivouac down in single locations just long enough for the queen to shit out thousands of eggs, while the soldiers spread out in wide fans daily in search of food ("food" here, means "anything moving"). Then the eggs hatch and they enter the dreaded swarm phase of their existence.

Much like the word "killer," nature takes words like "dreaded" and "swarm" very, very seriously. They carefully pick up their larvae and go on the move, a near-solid mass of insect death and horror moving steadily and swiftly along the jungle floor, flaying alive and disassembling every living thing too stupid, slow or asleep to get the living fuck out of the way. There is no talk of painful stingers or ballistic acid here, no, this is terror of a far more primordial nature--the kind that simply flows over you by the hundreds of thousands and rips you apart with massive, unbelievably powerful jaws, utterly and literally blind to size and species, considering everything in their path to be a threat to the continuation of their colony.

There are reports of animals the size of horses being overwhelmed and shredded by them. Go stand next to a horse and then think about what that means for you.

More scary shit:
    Army Ants are masters of wholly-organic, living architecture. For the good of the colony, the ants will use their own living bodies to build any conceivable structure necessary, latching on to each other foot-to-foot to create protective walls and ceilings against the ravages of the weather, bridges to cross otherwise impassable spans, whatever happens to be needed. (Can they form themselves into a crude catapult mechanism and launch themselves at prey? Not yet.)

There is no other living thing in the entire world that does this.

And, they're blind.