Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I'm wondering if there is actually any statistical advantage to ducking if you aren't the target. If the wall you are behind isn't going to stop the bullet.

I think Mythbusters did an episode on dodging bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    If you can hear it, it has already missed you. On the other hand, taking cover and hiding prevents then taking another shot at you.
    yeah this, the bullet travels faster than sound so by the time you hear the gunshot the bullet will already have hit you (if it was aimed at you)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'm wondering if there is actually any statistical advantage to ducking if you aren't the target. If the wall you are behind isn't going to stop the bullet.

They did, the conclusion was unless you can see the flash from VERY FAR AWAY, you cant dodge it. Sound takes longer to travel than light.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

There isn't, the only thing you can do is try to make yourself a smaller target. This assumes that several shots have been fired, as stated already if it's a single shot and the bullet is on target you're hit before you can react.

Deleted
    I think moving would be a more sensible option at the point where having to duck stray bullets within the confines of your own home becomes a regular activity..

You should always try to get into a safe position, usually as low as possible or behind something, in case there is more than one shot. If the first shot is fired at you and is accurate and you dont know its coming, it will hit you. Even then being shot once is better than being shot multiple times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    I think moving would be a more sensible option at the point where having to duck stray bullets within the confines of your own home becomes a regular activity..
    This.

I live in a fairly bad part of town during term-time (cheaper rent!) but I don't find myself jumping at gunshots constantly. Where are you living that there's daily gangbanging?

Won't most bullets fly faster than the speed of sound? If that's the case, then a bullet aimed at you, will already have hit you, when you hear the gunshot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't going to help you with the first shot, but decreasing your profile is smart if you think more shots will follow.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

If you hear the shot - run for cover - cause either they missed or wasn't aiming for you.

If you don't hear the shot - likely there was no gun shot - or your dead.

Cause if you hear the shot - it's already hit it's target. If the target is you then you wouldn't have heard it ( assuming they were accurate )
    Last edited by Barrowwind; 2013-07-07 at 01:06 AM.

Deleted
    I watched a Documentary about that and its totally possible http://tinyurl.com/6c2hf

10+ Year Old Account
    Good lord people, just answer the man's question.

OT: No, it will nopt help you by ducking in the slightest. Don't pay attention to the morons talking about velocity, distance or whatever. By the time your brain registers the SOUND of the gunshot the bullet will have impacted whatever it was the shooter was aiming at.

Note: For you idiots that will indeed pop an argument to my post, I am refering specifically to the OP and the shots going off 500 feet away on the other side of his brick wall.

There are Handgun rounds that travel slower than the speed of sound.

They have a slower velocity and make less sound when fired.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you had time to hear the shot, then it either hit you already or missed you.

no you would not have time, or else snipers wont have a job

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just use bullet time or predict when he's going to shoot at you.

If you heard the sound of a gun it's too late. You either got hit or they missed you.

Depends on how close you are. When I was deployed we used to count how many seconds it took a bullet to reach us after we heard it fired to determine how far away the gunman was. So yeah in some cases you do. You can definitely dodge RPGs too - they actually move really slow, and they're more distinct when they're being fired. Sounds like a "BOOM" at the location it was fired from, and a few seconds later it's going to fly passed you.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhuck View Post
    There are Handgun rounds that travel slower than the speed of sound.

They have a slower velocity and make less sound when fired.

lol one time I got shot at at night time, and the light from the tracer round went passed my head several seconds before I hard the "POW" - that was crazy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unless you know where the shot was aimed you odds of dodging it by standing still are around the same as trying to move.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Duck? Be a man and jump.

It depends on the sound you hear. Look online for a sound clip of a shot near or far from you. If it's only a ping you'll be fine. If it's more of a whistle, find cover.