Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    well youtube has to make money somehow, they could probably charge people a sub of £5 a year and still make good money with the amount of people who use youtube!
    Especially if they started to carry and/or produce premium content (episodic series etc). Again, it is up to them to find a revenue model that works.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

No Ad on the internet has ever persuaded me into buying a product, so me blocking them doesnt hurt anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waiting a bit for a raid. Here is 1 thing to make you gigle:
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    I myself was using Adblock for while, but then I realized how much it actually hurts companies, websites, and various people who depend on this to make their money. Sure you may think that a single person (yourself) blocking ads is not going to hurt them but when everyone else is doing it too it really adds up.

Take twitch streams for example like Towellie whos every day job is streaming and providing excitement and entertainment for the gaming community. If all of a sudden his yearly income went from $50,000 down to $10,00 a year, he can no longer support himself or his family all because you didn't feel like watching a 15 or 30 second advertisement. And this just doesn't pertain to YouTube or twitch...what about your favorite website you visit each and every day like MMO champion. They have ads on their website as well. If you aren't viewing those ads to help support your favorite website then what happens when they announce they have to shut down because they now have no operating income because you couldn't bother to see a small ad on the side of your screen.

It really does go much deeper than this so if you wish you can watch my video where I really go in depth about the serious damage AdBlock causes to everyone.

I don't really care :X.. Maybe they need to go get a job and make more money? O.o

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreRT View Post
    No Ad on the internet has ever persuaded me into buying a product, so me blocking them doesnt hurt anyone.
    The argument being put forth is that it hurts the people telling the advertisers how much business a banner add on MMO Champion will generate. Which all seems willy since any reputable ad company only charges per click through rather then per view.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I love ABP! And I pair it with NoScript too. No ads from anyone.

I'm sorry but I'm really not interested in helping you make money in any way or form. That is unless I am truly interested in what you have and I decide to buy/subscribe to it.
    I'm still thinking about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    The argument being put forth is that it hurts the people telling the advertisers how much business a banner add on MMO Champion will generate. Which all seems willy since any reputable ad company only charges per click through rather then per view.
    and if you're not likely to buy a product advertised on some website, you're not going to be clicking on it anyway.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The ammount of douchebags in this thread amuses me :>
    I agree with OP, please don't be too harsh on me
    Last edited by l4808; 2013-07-11 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by l4808 View Post
    The ammount of assholes in this thread amuses me :>
    Maybe don't start by calling people assholes.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I don't know if you know how business works, but if you own two companies under one umbrella you don't use the money from business 1 to offset expenses business 2 incurs. You don't use the extra cash from premium services from one site to offset the expenses of the other site.
    Yes they do.

For example: I insure a holding company that has made €7.25m in losses in the last two years, and they have been in business for 8 years and never made a profit, nor will they ever make a profit - usually this is for tax reasons.

Some companies will run a division at a loss if it has a prestigious name that they believe is of some benefit to their overall corporate image (often an owner's ego).

Hobby companies, i.e. running a business that is purely for pleasure, without the intent to make a profit from it.

There are plenty of examples of businesses doing exactly what you claim they don't do.

OT: if they are losing money from Adblock plus, then adapt or die. I have zero sympathy for people that moan about their business model becoming obsolete due to new technology, even less (if that is possible) for people who are using relatively new technology like the internet and whining.

Quote Originally Posted by l4808 View Post
    The ammount of assholes in this thread amuses me :>
    "Don't be too harsh on me" after calling everyone who uses adblock assholes....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    "Don't be too harsh on me" after calling everyone who uses adblock assholes....
    Perhaps he was commenting on how few there were, and how he would chime in to bring the value up to par?

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    So, let me get this straight, you want to make money off me wasting my time watching some stupid ads on your video's/streams? if time is money, and it takes MY time to watch a stupid ad, why in hell would I want to be giving you free money and or wasting my time? ads are nothing more then stealing peoples time in order for someone else to make money, so I for one will not EVER stop using ad blockers so I'm not getting robbed of my time.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the marketers were smart they would figure out a way to pay the viewer of the ad and not the publisher/developer/streamer. At least share the wealth, were doing all the work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofire View Post
    So, let me get this straight, you want to make money off me wasting my time watching some stupid ads on your video's/streams? if time is money, and it takes MY time to watch a stupid ad, why in hell would I want to be giving you free money and or wasting my time? ads are nothing more then stealing peoples time in order for someone else to make money, so I for one will not EVER stop using ad blockers so I'm not getting robbed of my time.
    Because making videos/streaming takes 0 effort? Maybe you could watch the ad to support the one putting in the effort and creating content?

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    If the marketers were smart they would figure out a way to pay the viewer of the ad and not the publisher/developer/streamer. At least share the wealth, were doing all the work.
    Good idea, you could do vids with giveaways answering a question related to the ad. Answer the question, win a new headset or w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/vaWuK4j.jpg

thats the reason i block ads from mmo-c. i got those often, all of it is clickable and takes you to the rift webpage. No thank you.

HAHAHAHA

That's fantastic. I had no idea it looked like that. It's total scumbag. It's like the dystopian universe version.

Yea, adblock for life. No question. No one has any moral standing for arguing otherwise.

And here's the real point: if you think the thing is about funding the website, either donate, or actually buy something through that. If you think it's about getting ad hits for the site, why not have an addon that accesses it without displaying?

Penultimate statement: YOU are affected by ads. Yes, YOU. If I told you that some small percent of people aren't, you'd subconsciously put yourself in that group. You think YOU are the captain of your soul. You aren't. You're a complex and special and unique bag of meat, but YOU are susceptible to advertisements, 100%. Now, maybe you are really smart, extra intelligent. Then you are MORE susceptible to ads.

Ultimate statement: Only if your HONEST opinion is that EVERYONE should be manipulated by advertisements, yourself included, should you view advertisements and encourage others to do the same. If it's about money, or funding, or whatever, you'd be best served by direct donations, subscriptions, premium memberships, or traceable purchases that credit the site. Very few sites don't have a good way to take your money. Only if you are actually in favor of being manipulated by people who sole job that is, should you be in favor of not running adblock.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Somehow I doubt that anyone is going to stop using AdBlock because of OPs overly dramatic video...
    That wasn't my goal with the video as I clearly stated that fact in it. I was just merely educating people and getting them to think a little bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless these adverts ASK me if i want to watch them then i dont give a shit tbh adverts in videos and games and tv programs is the worst idea since the barb wire condom.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    That wasn't my goal with the video as I clearly stated that fact in it. I was just merely educating people and getting them to think a little bit.
    No offense, but it sounds like you need to take your own advice. Adblock has existed for a long time now, and if some streamer is suddenly taking a hit in income, the problem is not on Adblock, but on content or target audience - the problem, and the solution, lies in the streamer's hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.