Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    My gripe with Rift was that it actively poked at WoW. Who here remembers the "You're not in Azeroth anymore." Advert.
    They're still doing it. I remember the "Pre-Order RIFT: Storm Legion and Save a Panda" campaign and the more recent "RIFT is now FTP" adverts with the panda doing a spit-take, both obviously poking fun at Mists of Pandaria.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Very very little in WoW is an original game mechanic. Phasing is one of the few I can think of.
    Already done in Runescape before WoW even thought of putting this in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    They're still doing it. I remember the "Pre-Order RIFT: Storm Legion and Save a Panda" campaign and the more recent "RIFT is now FTP" adverts with the panda doing a spit-take, both obviously poking fun at Mists of Pandaria.
    They're a business. They all do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have problems with Rift, now WoW - nor other mmo's (Well, except F2P SWTOR).

Though, thanks to progress of the world game industri - they have to borrow ideas from each other at times. Of course, you aren't allowed too directly copy an idea (files and the likes). But implementing your own version of the idea is welcome. In the end, it helps the player base if something familiar appears as well.

But, I do recall a moment (Or just rumor) where the Rift crew had to fire a programmer due to a set of files being copied directly from World of Warcraft, just changed some small words here and there.

Though, I admit, I cannot find the article - but I recall that is was reason enough to kick the programmer out.

(Again, might just be rumors)

Also remember, from the SWTOR Forum, the MMO fan raging. SWTOR was without the speach bubbles, this were actually a wanted addition to the game for many players and many raged for it not being there.

Reason I still play World of Warcraft in the end, it makes more positives on my list than negatives. I play all MMO's that comes on the market for about 3 months avarage, if they don't fill certain "images" or hopes I have for an MMO - then I basicly step back till it's fulfilled. Doesn't matter if P2P, F2P or B2P.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Wall paintings had characters before books.

Why did GC nerf Hand Cave Painting skill? I swear it man, GC has destroyed stone-age cave art.
    And real life had people before paintings did.

DAMN GHOSTMETZEN FOR THIS ATROCITY AGAINST ALL OF HUMANITY AND SPACE AND TIME AND WILLIAM SHATNER!

Quote Originally Posted by championknight View Post
    Already done in Runescape before WoW even thought of putting this in.
    Really? When did they add it. I couldn't find anything on google about it. Perhaps you could provide some info on how this Runescape phasing that pre-dates WoW phasing works.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    WoW has never been a revolutionary.
    The biggest thing WoW offers that other MMO's don't is a heavy reliance on platformer mechanics for raiding. WoW raids typically have a lot more going on than most and really shine because of it.
    This is only because the game is so old now - Back in vanilla, bosses had 1 or maybe 2 abilities and sometimes an enrage that hunters needed to remove. As players get more and more used to playing their characters they want harder and harder content (or in LFR's case - the opposite) and so we ended with bosses today having a long list of different abilities that you need to memorize to have a chance of clearing said content.

Is it for the better or the worse? I don't know - I stopped raiding regulary back in Icecrown due to time restraints - Though I'm glad I can get some welfare gear every now and then in LFR - sure, flame me all you wan't. I became flameresistant over the years due to WoW's /1.

and I'll leave you with this little quote from T.S. Eliot:

Good Artists Borrow, Great Artists Steal

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    Really? When did they add it. I couldn't find anything on google about it. Perhaps you could provide some info on how this Runescape phasing that pre-dates WoW phasing works.
    It is not called phasing per say, but its the same concept

- Completing a quest and permanantly removing or moving said character to another location in your world view but not others, some have a huge impact in the game's story. Rise of the Mahjarrat causes some important people to die but they are still 'alive' for people who never did the quests

- Completing a quest and causing the area to change. Players who completed Swan Song would see a nice tranquil area for fishing and also be able to see other players. Players who have not will enter into an instance where the area is under attack and use the fishing area

- Making a choice in a quest causes someone to appear or not appear later. Choosing sides in Hazeel Cult determine whether or not one of the Mahjarrat appears in RoTM or is mentioned 'still dead'. Nice touch of the game to actually remember what you chose

WoW is not the pioneer of everything MMO

10+ Year Old Account

- Completing a quest and permanantly removing or moving said character to another location in your world view but not others, some have a huge impact in the game's story. Rise of the Mahjarrat causes some important people to die but they are still 'alive' for people who never did the quests

- Completing a quest and causing the area to change. Players who completed Swan Song would see a nice tranquil area for fishing and also be able to see other players. Players who have not will enter into an instance where the area is under attack and use the fishing area

- Making a choice in a quest causes someone to appear or not appear later. Choosing sides in Hazeel Cult determine whether or not one of the Mahjarrat appears in RoTM or is mentioned 'still dead'. Nice touch of the game to actually remember what you chose

No, Blizzard might not have pioneered the progress of MMO's - but they did bring alot of the best from the dust and polish it. And they did raise it for all to notice.

Runescape has never said anything to me, just couldn't get myself to play it more than that 1 hour I tried.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    No, Blizzard might not have pioneered the progress of MMO's - but they did bring alot of the best from the dust and polish it. And they did raise it for all to notice.

Runescape has never said anything to me, just couldn't get myself to play it more than that 1 hour I tried.
    Well guess you didn't like Runescape thats fine

Just responding to the person that said Phasing is unique in WoW, which isn't as it was done before they had the idea

According to my google skills, Rise of the Mahjarrat was released in Sept 2011. How is that a pioneer of anything?

And phasing is about a lot more than just making a NPC unviewable by some characters and not others. WoW had that in vanilla and that's not what we generally refer to as phasing. Phasing is more about making different versions(or phases) of a permanent part of the world that changes through player action.

That Swan Song you described sounds more like WoW phasing, but it's hard to tell if it's phasing or just putting people into different instances.

Funnily enough, while googling, I found a thread about Runescape 3 the big update coming out this month and a poster was hoping they could bring WoW-style phasing to the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    I also find that observation interesting.

Most true MMO fans want a healthy choice of quality MMOs out there. For some reason the Wow community doesnt see it that way.

Personally i liken Wow players to football team fans. People who can only find room in their heads to love one football team (one game). Football fans will AUTOMATICALLY hate on any other football team. Theyll vocally abuse all other football teams even before they have watched them play. A true football fan would never admit that his rival team actually plays great and exciting football, they must maintain the opinion that every other football team sucks and they can NEVER be better than your team. Even when your team loses to a rival team a true football fan must find 'real' excuses to explain away why the other team won.

Just because your favourite football team pulls the largest crowd to every match that doesnt mean that your team is the best team in the league...
    Says who? And since when?

MMOs have rarely been a crowded genre and when it was crowded, WoW stood heads and shoulders above the rest. It has nothing to do with fanboys and, frankly, that kind of attitude reeks of jealousy. Since when is it a bad thing to make choices? If people don't like the majority of other MMOs out there because they are, at best, half-baked and, at worst, unengaging then so be it. Nobody is forcing you to play WoW or be here discussing WoW.

According to my google skills, Rise of the Mahjarrat was released in Sept 2011. How is that a pioneer of anything?
    I never said Runescape was a pioneer in phasing or anything for that matter

Phasing is more about making different versions(or phases) of a permanent part of the world that changes through player action.
    Corrected: Quest is actually When Guthix Sleeps, forgot RoTM is the latest quest entry.

Doing When Guthix Sleeps kills important NPCs and updates a few to talk about their death. Players who never did this will not see this, simple enough for you? Hazeel Cult is another where your choice matters for RoTM. Same as WoW's current usage of Phasing

That Swan Song you described sounds more like WoW phasing, but it's hard to tell if it's phasing or just putting people into different instances.
    Swan song quest, released 2006, WoLTK released Nov 2008, TBC 2007. Runescape attempted first by putting the players on the quests into instances, once completed they would be able to see the 'real world' version.

Not doing the quest can never put you into that 'real world' instance ever if you want to put it that way

WoW had that in vanilla and that's not what we generally refer to as phasing.
    You just pulled that from your tinfoil hat didn't you

WoW did not have phasing in Vanilla, name me one place or quest where this happens without:

- Dying as like in Linken's quests
    - Using some item as required for Dungeon 0.5 quests
    - Using Invis or Stealth

Also a page on WoW's phasing for you to actually understand
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Phasing#Usage..._the_Lich_King

Funnily enough, while googling, I found a thread about Runescape 3 the big update coming out this month and a poster was hoping they could bring WoW-style phasing to the game.
    A poster, you are taking information from a forum poster just like us...I rest my case

Could we just drop the thread already? I don't think entertaining the idea that starting threads like these and then walking away is a good thing. Seriously, the OP hasn't said a word since the thread start. Looks like he just wanted to start a flame war.

Also--if it really must continue--not everyone needs to spew their same "version" of the myriad of reasons already posted. That's just artificially inflating the amount of posts that either people will want/need to read to go further into the thread, or the number of posts that people will skip over and won't read anyway, because there are too many of them.
    Last edited by Pacumeni; 2013-07-15 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    They're a business. They all do it.
    Not to that extent.

Its one thing to say how much more awesome your game is, its another thing to poke fun at how "bad" another game is.

Advertising that explicitly criticizes another is in poor taste; thats what politicians do.

MMOs copy MMOs to be better MMOs. This is not news, it's how things work.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    So..as was mentioned in another thread..if LFD is one of the plagues of WoW, then Rift should have thrived because it offered old school MMO with assembling groups?
    if it was/is the plague of wow. then why where there so many post people wanting a lfd in rift/swtor?

I'm not sure why the OP decided to bring this up now. It's not like any of that he listed is new.

Because WoW stole LFD from Rift. Lawl. Get out, son. Your post is bogus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because, I think the OP ran away after he posted this thread. Don't really think it'll be much explaining from him, than anything. Think this thread os more, "throw in the ball and watch it till something happens".

As well, would like to say that the title is wrongly written, doesn't really say much than direct judging that everything is copied. A better title might have been appropriate. This one just seems to be feeding and luring.