10+ Year Old Account

Z87M Extreme4 quirk.

So i recently upgraded to a 4670K + Asrock Z87M Extreme4. However i have the wierdest quirk with my system. On a cold boot, after the post the screen goes blank and it goes into some sort of halt state, meaning i have to reset the PC. After that i can shut it off or restart it. It only does this on cold boot. I've tried turning off fast boot, but it didn't seem to help much. Googling only gave me results of people not being able to boot at all.

Regards,
    Maj

Probably BIOS problem. Check out ASRock pages for patches.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, when i first enter the UEFI it freezes after about 10seconds. So yeah, you could be right on the BIOS being faulty. I will flash it.

I guess to prevent it from freezing during the flash ill reload the UEFI a few times xD

- - - Updated - - -

Hm also it sets my memory (XMP profile) automaticly to 8-8-8-24, when it's 9-9-9-24 @ 1600 memory. Would it be wise to manually set them to the correct values?
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-07-16 at 12:20 PM.

Have you tried a clean install of windows? I had a comp that did something quite similar, and to be fair it was a mess. But it would hang on a cold boot every time, it turned out to be a blank HD that unfortunately had my boot sector on it so I could not rid myself of it without reinstalling. When I did, problem gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Hm also it sets my memory (XMP profile) automaticly to 8-8-8-24, when it's 9-9-9-24 @ 1600 memory. Would it be wise to manually set them to the correct values?
    Smells even more like BIOS issue... Or some weird RAM incompatibility. If you haven't flashed the BIOS yet, you could just start from reseting it (including pulling the battery out from motherboard) to make sure it detects the RAM again.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I flashed it, and by doing so it defaulted everything again. It defaults to 9-9-9-24 @ 1333. But it's 1600mhz RAM, when i set it to 1600 it defaults to 8-8-8-24.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Nevermind, i never bothered to check if what i ordered is what i actually got. I ordered CL9, i have the receipt. But it's a CL8 kit. lol...

Anyway, BIOS flash didn't solve the issue of the OS boot. It did solve the freezing issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Fixed: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Crucial-m4-SSD-firmware-07MH-for-mSATA-and-070H-for-2-5-quot/td-p/123930
    It was my SSD, which is wierd because it has run W8 on my parents PC with no issues.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-07-16 at 03:56 PM.

Deleted
    I actually have same exact issue (Asus motherboard, Samsung and Crucial SSD), it says CPU fan error on cold boot but after restart it's perfectly fine. The Samsung SSD is my boot drive. I just kinda ignored the issue but then noticed this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah i can't ignore such error. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Nah i can't ignore such error. :P
    Well it was more like postponed fixing it more than ignoring it lol

I'll look into updating firmware on the SSD's and Asus BIOS.

Edit: The Crucial firmware update fixed it, it seems. Running Windows 8 as well. I'll double check next time the PC has been turned off.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-07-16 at 06:08 PM.

Deleted
    Well it didn't fix it, still same issue for me.

SSD firmware on both SSDs are up to date.

Motherboard BIOS up to date.

BIOS reset done.

Cold boot post says CPU fan error, press F1. if I just restart it loads fine. Going to Google the issue and see what I can find.

Deleted
    maybe there is a setting in your bios that prevents it from booting without a certain cpu-fan(RPM) enabled/on. i know quite a lot of boards had that a couple years ago. check if you can disable it, or plug your fan into the CPU_FAN connector is my guess

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I actually have same exact issue (Asus motherboard, Samsung and Crucial SSD), it says CPU fan error on cold boot but after restart it's perfectly fine.
    CPU Fan error happens sometimes when the CPU fan doesn't spin up fast enough before the motherboard checks.

One way to get around this error is to reduce the "everything is OK" CPU RPM in the BIOS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    CPU Fan error happens sometimes when the CPU fan doesn't spin up fast enough before the motherboard checks.

One way to get around this error is to reduce the "everything is OK" CPU RPM in the BIOS.
    This seem to have fixed the issue, thanks.