How do you burst as a DoT class?

Im getting absolutely destroyed by Affliction Locks and S-Priests. I try and out heal their damage but w/o dispelling the DOTs its just impossible. If I do dispell them I just get silenced and usually I die before it wears off. But when I switch to Shadow my damage is laughable. I get hit with 100k devouring Plagues yet with max orbs mine only do half of that. Are those classes actually good at burst? I just dont feel like I do any burst as Shadow or when playing affliction with a PTR premade. Compared to Ele shaman or mages can SPriest and Afflic Locks get lots of kills in BGs?

Demon souled affliction locks can outburst swifty macroing warriors. Spriests I'm not sure about, I believe their instant mind spikes and devouring plagues are super hard hitters and tougher to predict though the spec isn't as ridiculous as affliction locks.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffy33 View Post
    Im getting absolutely destroyed by Affliction Locks and S-Priests. I try and out heal their damage but w/o dispelling the DOTs its just impossible. If I do dispell them I just get silenced and usually I die before it wears off. But when I switch to Shadow my damage is laughable. I get hit with 100k devouring Plagues yet with max orbs mine only do half of that. Are those classes actually good at burst? I just dont feel like I do any burst as Shadow or when playing affliction with a PTR premade. Compared to Ele shaman or mages can SPriest and Afflic Locks get lots of kills in BGs?
    It's not the kills in RBGs are much as the overall dmg as you will eventually wear out the enemy healers leading up to kills. Also if you get bursted by Spriest with or without the dots it's normal. Once they get 3 orbs and Cd on Mind blast they have better dmg in 1 cast (mind blast + Devouring plague) than mages.

Deleted
    SPriest with 3orb DP+ MF:I + fiend + instant MBs can burst pretty hard yes.

Shadow Priests generally have really low amounts of crit, but if they are lucky enough to crit both mind blast and a 3orb DP with a proc trinket up then they can do anything up to 200k spike damage. Chuck insanity and shadowfiend into that and you've got one of the nastiest bursts in the game.

Locks with Demon soul up who are able to free cast malefic grasp also do loads of damage.

If you're not hitting hard on your characters, it's probably gear (or people are seeing your burst incoming and using defensives like shieldwall / barkskin - so the numbers are smaller).

10+ Year Old Account
    I got spiked down multiple times by spriests without even noticing (because they can literally get you to 50% with only having to set up devouring plague). Mind Flay (Insanity) also hits for a truck. 15k ticks per 1 second (without accounting in haste) + occasional mastery proc which procs another dot tick + crits + mind blast = seriously insane damage.

Pillar hump and LOS them while you wait for the silence to wear off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Sp's are strange. Sometimes it feels like they do nothing. Then you face another Sp and you feel like you fight a whole army already after 20 secs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Pillar hump and LOS them while you wait for the silence to wear off?
    You can't LoS dots...
    Statix will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    Sp's are strange. Sometimes it feels like they do nothing. Then you face another Sp and you feel like you fight a whole army already after 20 secs.
    good players vs bad.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    Good vs bad, Spriest need the right position and timing but they can do some crazy shit with Insanity/fiend/trinket up.

Destroying ppl in bgs as a shadow priest is awesome, and having tons of survivability helps outlast most classes no matter what they do. When it comes to burst it can get pretty sick, with devouring plague, insanity, shadowfiend and shadow word: death, especially if I silence them in the process as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot123 View Post
    Destroying ppl in bgs as a shadow priest is awesome, and having tons of survivability helps outlast most classes no matter what they do. When it comes to burst it can get pretty sick, with devouring plague, insanity, shadowfiend and shadow word: death, especially if I silence them in the process as well.
    Been messing around with a Priest on PTR and even using the 5.4 pve trinkets and having full season 14 I cant kill anything much less dominate a BG. I can easily get 15+ killing blows with my Destro Lock and I have never even played a Lock before.

Deleted
    Im not 100% sure but I think the dot's dmg is based on the caster's state when the dot spell was cast.

Atleast thats how I try to max my affli's dmg, lets say im doing 2s....
    I simply start off with 1-2 random dots, wait a few seconds until my proc trinket procs and my weapon enchant procs,
    then use demonsoul and on-use trinket and put full dots on both opponents, then ill try to get a haunt on both of them
    if the situation allows it, then just fill up time with fears/haunts/felflames/malificgrap.

And yes the dmg spread is quite stupid, put me in a group with a decent boomkin and we will spread an
    insane amount of pressure and cc, love it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Demon souled affliction locks can outburst swifty macroing warriors. Spriests I'm not sure about, I believe their instant mind spikes and devouring plagues are super hard hitters and tougher to predict though the spec isn't as ridiculous as affliction locks.
    Yeah... assuming the retards you face will let you channel full malefic grasps and cast haunt on CD without any interrupt or silence whatsoever...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Shadow Priests generally have really low amounts of crit, but if they are lucky enough to crit both mind blast and a 3orb DP with a proc trinket up then they can do anything up to 200k spike damage. Chuck insanity and shadowfiend into that and you've got one of the nastiest bursts in the game.
    Last time i got the double-crit combo they did 160-165k together, and it was on a mage so no damage reduction. I'd imagine with some stars aligned maybe 185k but i don't think over 200k.

That said, regardless of that priest burst is quite strong if you align all damage sources, so thats 3 dots, insanity and the fiend so 5 sources + mastery and apparitions it gets pretty stupid. You can see it as the same as an UH dk "bursting", two pets, diseases and him having a whack on you. What's important to know is that it's one of the easier to predict and stop. Dot's can be dispelled, DP can be disease-dispelled and totally ignore the dispellprotection 4set, insanity makes the priest stand still in the opening for 6+ sec to be interrupted, the fiend can be cc'ed/kited/killed. Most baddies think the fiend is just for mana, even for shadow. In addition to that there's the normal CC priest or use defensive cooldowns method. The only thing you can't do is run away and LoS, cuz dots and pet still keeps going, and insanity channels through the wall but other than that it's fairly easy to stop.

So all in all priest burst is in a pretty good state but i've seen worse from other classes too, pretty much every class can burst quite hard at the moment...

Deleted
    I really do not understand the qq. Sp burst is so easy to counter. You can dispell dp no penalty and insanity is done, or nterupt, stun knockback fear and watch the sp cry. Locks are harder to counter, more mobile plus dispelling ua has a big penalty, plus I always sick my pet on the healer so i can blanket the healer and go ham a few more seconds. Sp's are alright if played well but not a pvp killing problem because setting up burst requires some set up and skill que hunters rogues.