Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post

I would also probably get a win8 at this point. With technology the way it is, and these things being as powerful as they are, it seems ludicrous to me to be strapped with "half an operating system" as I call it.
    I thought about this. But the Microsoft Surface is a bit too rich for my taste. Not to mention the apps are rather... second rate. (I have windows 8 on my desktop, I have no problem with it as an OS, but there's something lacking from the app store that makes it difficult to justify)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Oh yeah, m8 had the different charger, sorry to mislead, i just recommended m8 because that's got the most comfortable wedge shape i've used on a tablet and it's really well built, not having much experience with the M9.
    I was also fairly certain that you could charge it via usb since the M8Pro revision, i guess i might've been wrong.
    I emailed Pipo and they said that all of their tablets require a special charger. Making it very difficult to get hold of them.

Also, i assume you know this, but like everyone else in this thread i must mention it : this is kindof a bad time to buy a new tablet unless it's the nexus 7. We're getting many awesome chipsets by the end of the year.
    And this is different to any other time of the year because?
    We live in a world where new technology is drempt up, realized and released practically every day.
    Unfortunately those are more professional tablets. OP wants a consumer tablet - he wont be doing content creation on it i dont think. There's some tablets that perform marvelously but due to x86 being the architecture of choice, and it being a power-optimized version of a bigger meaner chip, this means lower battery life, more heat and more bulk to the tablet, which are generally things you can avoid with ARM processors.
    Your pretty much right here, Mostly I need it for using SSH on the go, storing an odd book to read. Occasionally a bit of web browsing and skypage when I cant get to a PC. Also has the added bonus of being able to remote to a computer, do wake on lan, and run all the cool toys that I don't REALLY need, but will find very useful for showing off.

You can get a wacom digitizer tablet for like $120-$350 used nowadays (x200t, x61t, x201t are all great variants), but we're not discussing those since they're rather inconvenient for leisure usage.
    Not interested in buying any used technology. EVER. Some people are happy with it, that's fine. But I like my tech, brand new, unused with its full warranty still intact. If its worth buying, its worth buying it new.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2013-08-23 at 11:23 PM.

Honestly, looking at some of the off-brand things linked in this thread, you're going to walk away disappointed. A tablet isn't something you want to cheap out on if you're planning on using it often. It's an important purchase and splurging an extra $100 or so is really going to pay off.

I still suggest the iPad above all other tablets, but if you're absolutely set on value I'd wait for Google to put out their new Nexus 10. Alternatively, as suggested before, the Surface RT is now only $350. That's before adding in the keyboard cover, of course.

Both the Nexus and the Surface are, however, inferior to the iPad. If you have a month or two to wait, there's a pretty good chance that the current full-sized iPad will be dropped down to $400 once Apple puts out their newer, thinner, faster model sometime this fall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wondering if we've had any updates on good timing yet...

10+ Year Old Account
    For business I recommend something like my Samsung Ativ tablet, BUT... for general use / youtube, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Note 2 - pretty cool tablet - or any decent Android tablet will do - I just like samsung's toys. Windows 8 is sucky for apps at the moment and the CPU's not generally suited for games and best suited to business (my phone is win8 too)

A non-intel Win8 rt tab is pretty good though - just to clarify - the intel atoms are a bit "meh" for gaming - better suited to business

Android is a good choice for personal / gaming / general user - Asus & sony make some nice 10" ones too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Tablets are a waste of money. Their novelty runs out in days.
    obviously from someone who's never used one.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-09-03 at 06:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have we had any updates on new releases?

I'm still in the market for a tablet, and got caught out today when I actually could have really done with it (instead of trying to ssh into the office to try and fix our servers not posting data properly via my phone.)

Deleted
    We got some Elitepads in to trial, they look pretty fkn sweet so far. we got all the bells & whistles too, sleeves with HDMI out, docking stations, bluetooth keyboards etc

Seems they'll be going to our salestards >.<

I had one joined to our domain, downloaded & installed adminpak & hyena systemtools etc, no bother at all. Pretty sweet.

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/la...#!tab=features

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goit View Post
    We got some Elitepads in to trial, they look pretty fkn sweet so far. we got all the bells & whistles too, sleeves with HDMI out, docking stations, bluetooth keyboards etc

Seems they'll be going to our salestards >.<

I had one joined to our domain, downloaded & installed adminpak & hyena systemtools etc, no bother at all. Pretty sweet.

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/la...#!tab=features
    Looks nice, little out of my price range though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest the iPad Mini.

Here's why:

- It works very well and smoothly
    - You have a selection of over 300k apps specifically designed for it
    - It has a 10 hour battery life
    - Has 3G or LTE connectivity
    - It is in your price range
    Last edited by Santoryu; 2013-09-22 at 08:43 PM. Reason: typos

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    I'd suggest the iPad Mini.

Here's why:

- It works very well and smoothly
    - You have a selection of over 300k apps specifically designed for it
    - It has a 10 hour battery life
    - Has 3G or LTE connectivity
    - It is in your price range
    Hi,

Thanks... I'm still not sure about making the "leap" to the iOS... I've used it on my brothers iPad and several peoples work phones and I find it really difficult to get along with. especially being tied into only software that apply approve of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Hi,

Thanks... I'm still not sure about making the "leap" to the iOS... I've used it on my brothers iPad and several peoples work phones and I find it really difficult to get along with. especially being tied into only software that apply approve of.
    It depends on what you want. The iPad will give you a great user experience, albeit you won't be able to download torrents or make customizations that drastically change your UI. And yes, the app store is curated, but then again, you can always jailbreak

Deleted
    OP must ask, its a honest question, with regards to 3G, how important is that to you, i always ask this to friends who are wanting to buy tablets, where would you need to check the internet on your tablet on the go, where would this be where free wifi in for example star bucks isnt around, it surely isnt long distance commuting i can assure you, even phones internet on long distance trains, i.e for example leeds to bristol, you dont get a signal most of the time and some trains have wifi, and coach journeys, its the same story, signal is weak.

the only place this works is, commute to work, but lets be honest here, how important is it to check facebook to work and back, or using at work, now its either for work, which isnt mentioned, or to use during your break, now 30 min - 1 hour breaks, or you have no net at home :P.

3/4G is a novelty feature designed to make them have a higher mark up or something needs to give, i know something people will argue, but be honest about your use with regards to 3/4G feature, where do you think you will need this for certain, otherwise just stick with a wifi tablet which opens up a huge market for you, and stuff like the Nook HD is a very very good buy since its like £79 for the 8GB model in Argos or £99 for the 16 GB model, and these tablets are very good with a fantastic screen for the price and for a 7 inch tablet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    OP must ask, its a honest question, with regards to 3G, how important is that to you, i always ask this to friends who are wanting to buy tablets, where would you need to check the internet on your tablet on the go, where would this be where free wifi in for example star bucks isnt around, it surely isnt long distance commuting i can assure you, even phones internet on long distance trains, i.e for example leeds to bristol, you dont get a signal most of the time and some trains have wifi, and coach journeys, its the same story, signal is weak.

the only place this works is, commute to work, but lets be honest here, how important is it to check facebook to work and back, or using at work, now its either for work, which isnt mentioned, or to use during your break, now 30 min - 1 hour breaks, or you have no net at home :P.

3/4G is a novelty feature designed to make them have a higher mark up or something needs to give, i know something people will argue, but be honest about your use with regards to 3/4G feature, where do you think you will need this for certain, otherwise just stick with a wifi tablet which opens up a huge market for you, and stuff like the Nook HD is a very very good buy since its like £79 for the 8GB model in Argos or £99 for the 16 GB model, and these tablets are very good with a fantastic screen for the price and for a 7 inch tablet.
    As far as 3G is concerned:
    Given that the only times I actually need it are times I don't have access to a computer, or aren't in the office. Pretty important. I'm not really one for going out to coffee shops or places that have free wifi, I'd much rather work at home. Its not for social media, online gaming or video streaming. Its for when I'm out of the house and need quick access to a remote server. And by quick that doesn't mean spending 5-10 mins setting up a mobile hotspot.
    Perfect example was this sunday, went out for a meal with the family and wound up logging into the office network via SSH on my phone to fix a server. (Not a fun or quick task on a Samsung Galaxy S2 when you need to connect to 6 different servers several times and you have to bunny hop through another to get to them) So yes, there are things like wifi hotspots on my phone and all the tricks I could do. But when I don't even have to pay for the data, (and I do on my phone) the convenience far outweighs the initial outlay.

A tablet doesn't let me do anything I can't already do, it just lets me do it better and easier. I also don't think that the budget set is particularly limiting when it comes to that.

I know this isn't mentioned either, but the way that the network is setup, if I'm using a work SIM to connect in, the data terminates at the datacenter I most likely need to be in saving me that little extra effort VPN'ing back from wherever I end up back to that DC and that saves me A LOT of re-typed passwords and authentication.

P.S (SSH would be the work element that keeps popping up along this thread)

To sum up, the WiFi is the novelty feature for me in this particular case rather than the 3G. Namely because everywhere I have WiFi I invariably have access to a laptop or PC which I much prefer to use.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2013-09-23 at 07:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like the 3G version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is currently available for £420.00 from a shop on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008UQ7KD6

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It looks like the 3G version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is currently available for £420.00 from a shop on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008UQ7KD6
    *Hold Breath, Take Plunge*.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so bought it... Questions is now... where do I actually buy genuine Samsung chargers from!?

Bought a few different ones but they always seem to be cheap knock off's....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Ok, so bought it... Questions is now... where do I actually buy genuine Samsung chargers from!?

Bought a few different ones but they always seem to be cheap knock off's....
    I personally wouldn't bother with searching high and low for Samsung brand chargers. Just a charger with the same current output as the stock charger (2.5A, I think. That's what the one form my mom's tab 2 10.1 is) from a reputable manufacturer (e.g. Antec).

I personally use one of these to charge everything.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I personally wouldn't bother with searching high and low for Samsung brand chargers. Just a charger with the same current output as the stock charger (2.5A, I think. That's what the one form my mom's tab 2 10.1 is) from a reputable manufacturer (e.g. Antec).

I personally use one of these to charge everything.
    Works great if they arn't all cheap knock offs ;-) But yeah I guess I did say samsung... so lets just settle for a known brand rather than an imitation that claims to deliver the same current and doesn't.