Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    That and because it used the "draw on the world" ability of the API which was disabled for a few reasons.
    It didn't actually draw in the 3D world. It took the target coordinates, then did some math involving the camera position, and then placed a 2D frame in the UI plane that looked exactly as if it were part of the 3D world. AVR itself had existed for some time prior, but when AVR-E was released, Blizzard responded by disabling the ability for addons to get information about camera position, thus making AVR in its at-the-time incarnation impossible. There was actually a follow-up addon, HudMap, which aimed to do the same thing except in a 2D heads-up overlayed minimap. It worked just fine, but since it wasn't nearly as intuitive as pseudo-3D art, it never really took off.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    Actually, it was blocked because it greatly trivialized encounters where abilities are targeted at players' positions (such as, at the time, Rotface). Oh, and if my memory serves me right, it wasn't even released until all of the WFs were a done deal.
    ?, the addon that made that wasn't DXE

Dont remember what the name was but the Raid module on that Addon was a extension to it, the main purpose of that addon was to draw stuff on the screen everywhere on the world (and shared in the guild)

Edit: as Treeston pointed, that was AVR-E from AVR addon

Quote Originally Posted by Iceoven View Post
    Well there are options to turn each voice warnings on/off. And I'm pretty sure even by default it does not announce every single spell.

- - - Updated - - -

If I didn't think it would be better I wouldn't have made it. And I still think it's better. At least it offers more warning options which you can turn off if you don't want. But for people do want kill hard bosses and do care about timing in the fights I personally think it's gonna be handy.
    People killing hard bosses should have their timing down without much help of an addon in the first place, otherwise they won't get very far. And yes, it also bothers me that you promote your own addon as better than the ones that have prevailed over the past 5 years because it has "voices" (which I personally find irritating, but that doesn't matter)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceoven View Post
    I apologize for the self-serving intro but that's the easiest way to drag attentions.
    As for the competing issue you concerned I reckon it's quite the other way around. It's not like way beyond necessary hand-holding voices but just some 2 or 3 words warnings. For example if you stand in something bad it's gonna say 'run away'. If the boss is casting some big wipe AOE, i.e. Tortos' breathing, it's gonna say 'XXX incoming', 'interrupt', etc. So I'd reckon it kinda frees the raid reader from watching the timer and announcing those regular things.
    Probably I should make a video demo during the weekend. My text description sucks anyway. Just like text warnings are not so vivid comparing to visual + voice ones. (self-serving again, sorry, lol. )
    Until there's that awkward moment where you either set it so low to hear others that you don't hear it, or it yells at you covering your raid leader's voice while you're trying to coordinate on something else, and you wipe because of it. No thanks.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    You people don't get it, a good boss mod has as little as possible while showing everything necessary. The main reason the top guilds use BW and DXE in the past is because it doesn't have all the unnecessary warnings and crap that flood your screen. Maybe lfr heroes need that stuff, not us.
    Funny, I prefer DBM (and actually VEM now) for exactly the reason you don't like it. BW is not near in my face enough, I want to KNOW when shit is happening and have to watch actual timers as little as possible (so I can do things like say, watch my feet). Currently 10/13 heroic 25 man with just a 10.5 hour raid week.

I do however, run BigWigs at the same time (sound muted) just for the timers because their timers are just far and away superior to DBMs. If BigWigs had the voice announce options that VEM did (or before I got VEM, simply a "dbm emulation mode" sound wise, I'd be using it by itself instead of both (the one exception to this is I prefer the wave based ji-kun platform annoucnes instead of numbering em by platform).

I agree I like the 'in yo face' that DBM has. When I started back raiding in MSV, I kept dieing to crap...and DBM really helped me get back into the swing of things. However, I really enjoy BigWigs timers and it feels somewhat lightweight because it only loads when needed per encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by DorfSchrat View Post
    THIS!
    Altough DXE is in Alpha State and missed some very important timers (i.e. Fan of Flames @ Twins) and especially Auto-Raidmark-Function (Horridon, Tortos adds etc.)
    But the look and feel is superior.
    Wait, what??? They brought back DXE???

How long will it be until it's in a release state do you think?

The timing for half the mechanics is so far off. "Fist Smash incoming" like 3 seconds into Fist Smash. I can see this being good for a LFR hero who doesn't look up anything though. Even with off timing it is still better than not having a clue on what to do.

Doesn't really matter though. It draws in the game world, so Blizzard is going to break it as soon as the find out about it. Anyone remember that addon during Wrath that drew stuff on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt View Post
    Wait, what??? They brought back DXE???

How long will it be until it's in a release state do you think?
    You can use DXE perfectly fine, i do all 13/13hc on 10 man only with it

The addon that people are talking about that got banned back during ICC was called AVR because it drew graphics directly onto the screen.

http://www.wowace.com/addons/avr/

Created by Sokogeka

Quote Originally Posted by Songweaver View Post
    The addon that people are talking about that got banned back during ICC was called AVR because it drew graphics directly onto the screen.

http://www.wowace.com/addons/avr/
    To clarify, it was emulating drawing into the 3d-world such that it could show optimal placement of each raid member to avoid/minimise effects based on proximity or the locations AoE effects were going to be.
    It trivialised many encounters where raiders would simply do as the addon told them to do.

Blizzard later broke some core functionality regarding the camera positioning that the addon relied upon.