Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Strafe with Mouse v. Keys

I'm curious how people strafe when they PvP, there are three options that I can think of:

1) The default key setup where strafe is Q and E
    2) Remapping your bindings of strafe to A and D
    3) Strafing with the mouse.

Personally, I chose option 2) while leveling my first character during the first year of vanilla. This was before BGs even existed, so there was only World PvP and due to a severe population imbalance on my server, there just wasn't very much of it (outside of TM/SS zerg fest with the broken Horde guards). But by the time I hit about 45 or so, I got my but kicked in Tanaris and decided to make the move to rebinding the move keys since I just felt the default keybinds were clunky.

I'm curious, how do you strafe for PvP, is it one of the options above or did do you do it a different way?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I used to just move with my mouse...I still played well enough that way, but I've since gotten a Razer Nostromo keypad and I feel like I've improved significantly. I bound the strafing and movement keys to the directional pad on the Nostromo and I can move forward with my mouse while strafing or moving backwards with my Nostromo, all the while having all my keybindings right where I need them.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've always used Q and E to strafe. I guess I just got used to it first.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have strafe bound to extra buttons on my mouse. Strafe left is on the top left and strafe right is on the top right. So I guess, both mouse and remapped buttons?

10+ Year Old Account
    I either use my mouse + turn left/right keys to strafe or I just keyboard turn like a boss. I don't have strafe mapped anywhere, don't ask why.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have not bound any keys for strafing. why should you waste 2 perfectly easily reachable hotkeys for abilities for strafing?

i use A and D for turning and right mouse button + AD for strafing. i see no reason to do otherwise.

i strafe with F1 and F2 and use my mouse to move.

A strafe left, S move forward, D strafe right. then use them with combinations of mouse clicks to turn, etc. using ASD centers your hand in the keyboard allowing you to use all 3 rows of letters more comfortably

I still have Q+E bound as strafe, but use A+D with right mouse held down to strafe. I do use Q+E sometimes though, it's weird.

I could never unbind keyboard turn though, I use it all the time while drinking/eating with my mouse hand.

Edit: One of my Gladiator friends from BC uses V and B to strafe. He remapped his entire keyboard back in BC because he thought it'd open him up to more keys (for spells) -- It wasn't until Cata when he realised there were modifiers, by which time it was far too late to go back.

strafe with a and d. turn and click using mouse.

A and D turn keys + mouse works best for me
    Read the signature rules

Deleted
    I rebound my keys so A and D strafe instead of turning,I'd just use the mouse if I want to change direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the best way to do it is to have movement controlled completely by the mouse. The less binds you have on your keyboard, the less damage you will do to your hands and wrists. Just think about how much damage you do to your hands when you're holding down a button to move forward or strafe and have to mash ability buttons at the same time. It gets almost insane if you play a class like Rogue or DK that has a fast gcd time. You don't want to have carpel tunnel at 25/30 years of age from a stupid game.

Unfortunately for me I don't move with the mouse. I use "E" to move forward and "W" and "R" to strafe. I don't play this game seriously enough to consider the change to complete mouse control. But I know from experience that moving with the keyboard is damaging to your left hand. If you ever feel a straining or "weakness" in the left side of your left hands wrist, you should consider going to the doctor and take a break from the game for a week. I'm serious not joking or anything. If you know you're going to play the game for a long period of time (2+hours), I would stretch and flex your hands every hour. You have to keep your wrists moving and avoid cramps and the "locked" feeling when they adjust to the abusive keyboard set up.

Hope it helps.

always Q and E to strafe mate, its easier then clicking 2 buttons at same time.

If strafe means moving left and right (not turning direction) I remap those to A and D. I don't bind the turn keys because it's just pointless since holding down your mouse turns instantly wherever you want.

Q and E are my strafe with W as forward, all movement is in those 3 keys, then turn with mouse obviously.

Can't see any reason to do it any other way, why would you use the turn left/right keys and your mouse? Turning shouldn't even be bound to your keyboard at all, just a waste of buttons. Clicking two things (buttons + mouse) will always be harder than clicking just one key.

Deleted
    I strafe using A and D + right mouse click. I'm thinking of switching my movement keys to ESDF (my old Q3 keyboard bindings), it frees up more buttons around your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by agenttangent View Post
    I strafe using A and D + right mouse click. I'm thinking of switching my movement keys to ESDF (my old Q3 keyboard bindings), it frees up more buttons around your hand.
    You lose access to alt modifier though (unless you stuff your thumb under your hand).

I'm in the group of remapping strafe to a+d....thats what the majority do I believe. If you really want to be a boss...my 3's partner has foot pedals that he has strafe bound to, and run's or turns with the mouse. whole key board is abilities lol. I can picture him stomping on the pedals.

I use the mouse buttons on the side (normally designed for going forward/backward on web pages) to strafe left and right. I don't have a fancy mouse like a Naga, so I don't have any other keybinds on it. I'd also note that I have auto run bound to my keyboard and use it very often