My suggestion to level the ganking playing field

Dear Blizzard. I have a suggestion re PVP realms. So many people get frustrated with ganking including me, but my suggestion would make things a bit more fair and interesting, without changing the concept of PVP. Ganking usually occurs because people just go after others who are lower levels than them. So why not make it so that the opposite side cannot tell what level you are...EVER. Even if they are level 90 and you are level 10, they cannot tell just by hovering their mouse over your character. So if they decide to jump you and you happen to be 20 levels above them and beat them to a pulp, then so be it. It would be just as if a guy decided to jump an unarmed guy in an alley, and that unarmed guy turns out to be a black belt ninja.....Boom!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a blizzard forum.

Ganking is part of the game. Don't join a pvp realm if you dont want to be ganked. You can still see their HP if you target them that is a pretty easy way to tell their level.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would actually be ok with that idea. But as dawawe said, HP would have to be disabled as a number as well. Also the quest greens or heirlooms would probably be a dead giveaway too.

Except it is far too obvious to tell what level someone is. the gear is generally mismatched, and not as "big" as tier sets.

Furthermore, if they are killing a level 24 mob, and they dont one shot it, its easy to assume they are around the level of the mob they are killing. Also, if they are mounnted, you can tell by the mount.run speed and whether they are flying or not.

Basically, that method would not work as long as there are zones for specific levels. Ganking happens, although I have a feeling that the term is far overused and lost its meaning. Ganking now-a-days is far different from ganking in say BC or wrath.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    Not a blizzard forum.
    Oh but it is. Blizzard has agents planted in unofficial wow sites like this everywhere. There are people who lurk these sites for a living and report back to their superiors on the what they've found. The "Super mods" or Administrators on these forums definitely have some connection with Blizzard. To think that a multi million dollar company like Blizzard doesn't have any awareness as to what smaller sectors of the community is thinking... is naive.

Interesting idea, but like it or not that is one of the draws of a PvP server, that you can do and have done to you that kind of thing. If you must play on a PvP server and hate ganks while levelling, level through instances and then gear up for the world as needed.

My suggestion for people that desire to not be ganked - roll on a PvE server and stop making suggestions to solve something that's working as intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Oh but it is. Blizzard has agents planted in unofficial wow sites like this everywhere. There are people who lurk these sites for a living and report back to their superiors on the what they've found. The "Super mods" or Administrators on these forums definitely have some connection with Blizzard. To think that a multi million dollar company like Blizzard doesn't have any awareness as to what smaller sectors of the community is thinking... is naive.
    Sit around on a forum, doing nothing but compiling the random ideas that people throw out, "for a living?"

Gee, I gotta get me that job. Should I just post my resume here on MMO champ? I'm sure it'll make its way to the right people in Blizzard. Ghostcrawler, if you're reading this, two words: Devilsaur. Mount.

Anyway... If you don't want to be ganked, don't roll on a PvP server. Simple as that.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    They would still tell by looking at your HP/MP. Unless you hide those too. In fact at 90, gankers will go after people with a lower health pool because it's clear their gear is also much worse and they aren't likely to fight back and win.

I'm sure if you hide the HP/MP numbers, it will screw with rated pvp as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Screw hiding peoples levels, just level cap zones so if your above you get scaled back to that level. Much like what guildwars has.

I would rather that if a lvl 10 was attacked by a lvl 90. the lvl 10's gear would get the same gear normalization as in a BG. i.e they are upgraded to their ilvl equiv of whoever attacked them. Yes they would be terribly geared compared to a lvl 90 in pvp gear. but a decent player in lvl 90 in greens might surprise a bad(who cant kill people his own level) lvl 90 expecting a real fight.

A: This would never work, it's far too easy to tell levels based on gear/surroundings.

B: This isn't needed at all, because really, it's a PvP server. If you don't want other players around roll on a dead PvE realm, you'll be all alone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    Ganking happens, although I have a feeling that the term is far overused and lost its meaning. Ganking now-a-days is far different from ganking in say BC or wrath.
    This is something i completely agree with. Most people nowadays refer to ganking as a level 90 coming along, 1 shotting them, then flying off causing you the awful misfortune of having to run back to your body... QQ. People need to man up and accept that if they choose to level on a pvp server they will occasionally get killed. And if you don't like it... Don't choose a pvp server.

I was leveling my pally on Outland EU today and i came across a few different classes around my level, so i, quite excitedly, engaged combat with them and most of the times i won because ret seems insanely OP at my level :P And i'm sure the people on the receiving end of my massive exorcism crits were less than happy about i :P I would like to think that they just got a little bit mad at losing then moved on with their lives, as people should. However in alot of situations it seems people can't handle being killed in an un-instanced area... In which case those people should get off a pvp server, or sit in a hidden spot in their major city and dungeon/bg their way to 90.

i've leveled a few toons to max level on a pvp server during cata and got ganked a handful of times on each. why am i in the seeming minority that just doesn't give a care and accepts it because i chose to play on a pvp server?

pvp realms are dumb and should be removed anyway

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    I would rather that if a lvl 10 was attacked by a lvl 90. the lvl 10's gear would get the same gear normalization as in a BG. i.e they are upgraded to their ilvl equiv of whoever attacked them. Yes they would be terribly geared compared to a lvl 90 in pvp gear. but a decent player in lvl 90 in greens might surprise a bad(who cant kill people his own level) lvl 90 expecting a real fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    Screw hiding peoples levels, just level cap zones so if your above you get scaled back to that level. Much like what guildwars has.

You people don't seem to grasp the fact that this is an RPG. A game that is traditionally based on levels and gear, not an action game where levels and gear matter very little.

And btw, GW2 sucks donkey ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggis View Post
    You people don't seem to grasp the fact that this is an RPG. A game that is traditionally based on levels and gear, not an action game where levels and gear matter very little.

And btw, GW2 sucks donkey ass.
    Oh I do, personally I enjoy pvp, the amount of times ganking by a lvl 90 ends in the person being ganked and calling in friends or an alt can be really fun, but if that person doesnt have friends to call on, it is not so fun.

But what you dont seem to understand is that in RPG's their are consequences for dishonourable behaviour. WoW used to have that in Vanilla.

And levelling the playing field only really hurts those who are too piss poor at the game to play on their own level.

Any change in this respect would have to include at least a reasonable level of fun or challenge for the gankers, though.

Instead, why not add a feature where ganking of people more than 5? 10? levels lower sends a notification to everyone in the zone or marks ganking spot on map (as done with barrens commanders/caravans)

Not looking very deeply into it, This has some potential to be awesome because:
    1. Ganking would involve some risk (as in OP's post)
    2. Gankees could have some hope of salvation from their own faction (without needing guild)
    3. Gankers could set up ambushes where one person ganks and waits for backup to arrive, then their friends leap out and ambush the helpers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darthpeanut View Post
    Any change in this respect would have to include at least a reasonable level of fun or challenge for the gankers, though.

Instead, why not add a feature where ganking of people more than 5? 10? levels lower sends a notification to everyone in the zone or marks ganking spot on map (as done with barrens commanders/caravans)

Not looking very deeply into it, This has some potential to be awesome because:
    1. Ganking would involve some risk (as in OP's post)
    2. Gankees could have some hope of salvation from their own faction (without needing guild)
    3. Gankers could set up ambushes where one person ganks and waits for backup to arrive, then their friends leap out and ambush the helpers
    Given the fact that it takes 2 days to reach level 90, these suggestions would be just wasted effort to implement. I still don't understand why do people rage after getting ganked 5 times in their entire leveling period. I have leveled characters where I haven't been ganked once and I'm on a highly populated pvp server.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzfanboy98 View Post
    pvp realms are dumb and should be removed anyway
    Kind of takes away the point of having factions then, doesn't it. PvP is a part of this RPG, without it, it would be a multiplayer co-op game with a language barrier between the Horde and Alliance races. Besides, PvP realms are a lot more fun to level up on compared to PvE realms (I played on a PvE realm from the day I started WoW till 4-5 months ago we had our guild move to a PvP realm).

That being said, if you dislike being ganked then don't roll on a PvP realm. They've made PvE realms for a reason. It's that simple.