Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Ive always wandered about this. The idea of living underground interests me because it seems like it would be a fun thing to do. With our technology, do you think it would be possible to have entire cities underground? Could we manage it so that we could raise cattle, grow crops, and survive in general under ground? I think we could. Just no one has any reason to try since it would be hard. Who knows, maybe one day we would have to take shelter underground.
    Short Answer is Yes, most of the Difficulties have already been Solved. Granted You would have to be careful where and how you build underground since the movement of the plates could destroy and city like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    An underwater city would be more practical, while a city on Mars would give us planetary redundancy - an underground city doesn't provide us with a major benefit though: apart from security. If we were a more hostile planet, I suspect we would have adapted by going underground more (arctic, desert, giant carnivorous space-cats, etc).
    How would we even build a city underwater? Most of our tools wouldn't work. One small hole and the entire thing could end up being flooded and killing tons. I would be afraid of that, and the possibility of large marine life accidentally running into the city if its sonars were to mess with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Oh c'mon, it'll be no different than it is normally from September until April.
    September - May.

Fuck northern Saskatchewan.

Deleted
    From what i have heard, people in Hong Kong live underground during summer.
    Which, seeing the climate they have over there, seems more than reasonable.

just like gurren lagann we will go underground to hide from the beastmen. i will cut a whole in the earth..... kamina style
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

10+ Year Old Account
    You’re going in the wrong direction. Once we figure out a near room temperature super conductor and an energy source capable of giving near unlimited energy, we will begin to live in floating diamond pyramid cities. The future is up, not down.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    In the long run it would affect our vision. It's get reduced over time.
    Same thing would happen if we were to live on spaceships.

10+ Year Old Account
    Living underground has always been something of great fantasy. In the War of the Worlds musical art work theres a picture of life underground as realized by a mad man. H.G Wells himself also had it imagined in his War of the Worlds book.

I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    I think we could live anywhere on earth. In fact I'd say it's lot more feasible to build an underwater city than it is to live on Mars.
    But people hate underwater places complaining about too hard 3D! Imagine it IRL!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind living underground, not a big fan of the sun anyway.
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, but I wouldn't. I don't like being over the ground (airplanes) or under the ground (tunnels, caves etc) I'm just fine on the ground.

Underground is boring, let's build a city in space (or lower Earth orbit).

We could, but would you want to? Really? I wouldn't, i like the sun and grass and all that cool stuff. Windows... I like windows too...

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    How would we even build a city underwater? Most of our tools wouldn't work. One small hole and the entire thing could end up being flooded and killing tons. I would be afraid of that, and the possibility of large marine life accidentally running into the city if its sonars were to mess with them.
    Only an idiot would have just a single dome protecting an entire city.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like its possible. Personally I couldn't do it. Love the sun too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Relimash View Post
    We could, but would you want to? Really? I wouldn't, i like the sun and grass and all that cool stuff. Windows... I like windows too...
    I would want to, we could give the surface back to nature and easily produce all the resources we could ever need up top, while we ourselves are protected within the earth itself.

We wouldn't need underground cities either as It's rather easy to build a home itself underground thus all the roadways and everything else wouldn't need to be changed. "the idea of underground cities or cities carved into mountains still sounds much cooler though"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    I think we could live anywhere on earth. In fact I'd say it's lot more feasible to build an underwater city than it is to live on Mars.
    I don't think so.. obviously its more challenging right now to build a city on Mars than one underground on Earth but once we actually get people living there, a domed city wouldn't be too hard to build I guess. Even a giant inflatable balloon would work in theory and looking at Mars sky is still better than living in a cave:P

Deleted
    I heard you just need enough lightbulbs

Quote Originally Posted by Checkem View Post
    I think submarines use UV lamps so the sailors don't suffer with that problem.
    Not the submarine I served on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Humans are extremely adaptable. If we had to I am sure we could, and with today's technology I doubt it would be much of an issue. However without a cause (such as nuclear winter or something) there isn't any point on limiting ourselves quite yet.