S-MMORPG Games List

S-MMORPG = Serious Massive Multi-player Online Role Playing Game

Please list current games that still adhere to the core values of the original MMORPG genre (think EverQuest Classic). I struggle to think of any that haven't adapted or changed over the years to match WoW's Facebook, hand-holding play-style.

Without explaining what the S stands for, I can't really help you here.

If with Facebook you mean social interaction, isn't that a big part of MMO's?

I'd say... well... Everquest.

But even that has changed dramatically over the years to try to make it more similar to WoW.

He means an MMO that isn't designed for casual and/or generation ME players. One that actually has social interaction in place of "queue -> complete task-> profit without saying a word to your teammates." Where there are actually consequences for poor play. The list goes on...
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-08-02 at 05:05 PM.

I'd say Eve because of the hardcore nature of it.

It's also very hard to get into, so most MMO players quit within an hour or two.

Yea Eve is probably the closest to want the op wants. Maybe Rift, depending on exactly how angsty the op is about queues. Or some Korean mmos. Maybe Archeage if it ever gets published outside Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    I'd say Eve because of the hardcore nature of it.

It's also very hard to get into, so most MMO players quit within an hour or two.
    I thought about Eve but the space-shipped theme design doesn't really resonate with me as a role playing game. But, the play-style is certainly in the right place.

If you're looking for a game suggestion, there's a sticky for that. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is; even the older "serious" MMORPGs have evolved to keep up with the rest of the genre. You can't make up a term that is completely subjective then ask people to list games that fit a subgenre you made up.