Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Oh the cop reacted like a human being when I was an ass! OH THE INJUSTICE!!
    I was threatened and harassed by a NYS Trooper for having the temerity to argue a traffic ticket in court; I showed up with the statute of the law and DMV recommendations. It made him look bad, as he didn't prepare for the incident. For my trouble, he tracked me down in the parking lot and threatened me. I encountered the same individual a couple months later while I was walking to a friend's house, and he threatened to arrest me. There's nothing at any point in this incident that I did that was criminal or belligerent. I was threatened by an individual for no other reason than him being in a position of power, while I had none.

Everything else I'd like to say to you is infractable. Use your imagination.

Also: why would one bad experience, and this IS pretty tame as far as "police injustice" goes make me a raging asshole towards all cops? That's just stupid.
    Multiple experiences that include threats and intimidation might make you think that videotaping encounters with cops isn't such a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The reason that you don't understand the desire to be a raging douche to police is because you've never experienced police harassment. I've never had anything that makes me feel as powerless, frustrated, and just flat out wronged by injustice.
    I have, once. The guy was a powertripping tool. Thing is, the majority of the rest of the experiences I've had with police has been pretty positive. I get pulled over for a headlight/inspection check/etc., I'm polite and comply, they relax because I'm not being the world's biggest asshole and accept the fix it ticket or whatever, we thank each other and I go on my way. No one bullies me or treats me like shit because I treat them with respect.

This new trend of people challenging police authority when they're just asking a simple question or maybe for your ID is just ridiculous. In what world does that mean we live in some gestapo police state?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Then that's when you have a case against them and bring it up with them. Of all my friends, the ones that give cops the most flack are the ones that get harassed by them the most, while the polite ones never really have to deal with much because they don't piss off the cops.
    It shouldn't be based on how polite you are to begin with... this is about law and maintaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    I have, once. The guy was a powertripping tool. Thing is, the majority of the rest of the experiences I've had with police has been pretty positive. I get pulled over for a headlight/inspection check/etc., I'm polite and comply, they relax because I'm not being the world's biggest asshole and accept the fix it ticket or whatever, we thank each other and I go on my way. No one bullies me or treats me like shit because I treat them with respect.
    I don't doubt that the vast majority of contact with police is neutral or positive; the thing is, there's no practical way to know what you're going to be dealing with, which makes videotaping incidents and attempting to disengage as quickly as possible an understandable response.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    This new trend of people challenging police authority when they're just asking a simple question or maybe for your ID is just ridiculous. In what world does that mean we live in some gestapo police state?
    It is a bit creepy to see lines of people who have broken no laws stopped and being told, "show me your papers".

10+ Year Old Account
    I was threatened and harassed by a NYS Trooper for having the temerity to argue a traffic ticket in court; I showed up with the statute of the law and DMV recommendations. It made him look bad, as he didn't prepare for the incident. For my trouble, he tracked me down in the parking lot and threatened me. I encountered the same individual a couple months later while I was walking to a friend's house, and he threatened to arrest me. There's nothing at any point in this incident that I did that was criminal or belligerent. I was threatened by an individual for no other reason than him being in a position of power, while I had none.

Everything else I'd like to say to you is infractable. Use your imagination.

Multiple experiences that include threats and intimidation might make you think that videotaping encounters with cops isn't such a bad idea.
    You had ONE BAD COP. Not a dozen, not a whole squad, ONE GUY who wanted to make your life suck. Guess what? There are assholes in the world. Your the one who's assuming this guy represents all cops.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It shouldn't be based on how polite you are to begin with... this is about law and maintaining it.
    Indeed, however these are human beings. They deal with criminals for a decent part of their day, and criminals are more often than not, anything but cooperative. They're sometimes dealing with being assaulted and then going back on patrol. They're stressed to hell sometimes, so something minor like someone refusing to answer a simple, basic question, can set them off.

Yes, that's an issue and they do need more support for cops to deal with the stresses of policework. However it's the same with anyone you deal with in any job. If you're giving them a hard time, they're not going to make it easy to work with them or they're not going to do much to help you. However if you treat the other person respectfully, they generally have no reason to give you a hard time or do their job poorly.

You had ONE BAD COP. Not a dozen, not a whole squad, ONE GUY who wanted to make your life suck. Guess what? There are assholes in the world. Your the one who's assuming this guy represents all cops.
    It appears to be more "one bad cop... cops can be bad, I should exercise caution as not all cops are good cops."

Can you cite the spot where I suggest that one guy represents all cops? Do try not to distort anything I've said too much in response.

Indeed, however these are human beings. They deal with criminals for a decent part of their day, and criminals are more often than not, anything but cooperative. They're sometimes dealing with being assaulted and then going back on patrol. They're stressed to hell sometimes, so something minor like someone refusing to answer a simple, basic question, can set them off.

Yes, that's an issue and they do need more support for cops to deal with the stresses of policework. However it's the same with anyone you deal with in any job. If you're giving them a hard time, they're not going to make it easy to work with them or they're not going to do much to help you. However if you treat the other person respectfully, they generally have no reason to give you a hard time or do their job poorly.
    Here's the thing. I don't care.

Your partner was killed last week during a stop and your a little mad and stressed. I do not care. It's sad, sure, but I don't care. Your job is to maintain law, not to break and bend it because of your feelings. Fuck their feelings, frankly fuck their feelings. Feelings have no place here.

Sorry, but I have no respect for people like the driver. There is no reason to give the cop a hard time for a simple question like, "So where are you headed?"

Yes, the driver is not obligated to answer it. Yes, the cop did get bitchy (though to be fair, cops in LA deal with a ton of shit so their tolerance for it is low). But the bottom line is this kind of situation can almost always be avoided by simply being polite to cops. It's amazing how appreciative cops can be when you're compliant with simple requests that don't really infringe upon your rights or privacy.
    That's fine. I have zero respect for people who act like the cop. He didn't get hostile, he didn't talk back, he doesn't have to answer any questions at all, he has rights...

Although, this is pretty tame. Don't see why this is being discussed. She is obviously having a bad day, and people yell at others all the time. Guessing you guys are really bored. lol

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    She is obviously having a bad day, and people yell at others all the time.
    If a kid at McD's yells at a customer for no particular reason, my guess is that he's getting fired, or at least a stern talking to. When someone in a position of power (the police) yells at someone who has done nothing wrong and is posing no threat, they should be treated at least as harshly by their employer as that kid at McD's. If this woman can't contain her temper over such a minor matter, I don't trust her one fucking bit in dealing with an actual tight spot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you cite the spot where I suggest that one guy represents all cops? Do try not to distort anything I've said too much in response.
    You have repeatedly suggested that the rules of proper conduct between human beings do not apply.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

You have repeatedly suggested that the rules of proper conduct between human beings do not apply.
    No, I have said that the normal rules of polite engagements don't apply. This is obviously true upon cursory examination. Under a normal, polite interaction, someone wouldn't be interrogating me about my intentions and where I'm going; that's fine, it's their job. But the flip side of that coin is that individuals are under no obligation to converse at any greater length than necessary with an officer, and can certainly be forgiven for thinking it's in their best interests to keep such an engagement as short as reasonably possible.

This also has nothing at all to do with the question I asked, so way to level an accusation and then just step away from it without ever acknowledging wrongness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Given that unlike most other people, cops are permitted to lie and misinform you, I would say the rule of proper conduct with a cop would be not saying anything apart from yes or no to his/her questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

If a kid at McD's yells at a customer for no particular reason, my guess is that he's getting fired, or at least a stern talking to. When someone in a position of power (the police) yells at someone who has done nothing wrong and is posing no threat, they should be treated at least as harshly by their employer as that kid at McD's. If this woman can't contain her temper over such a minor matter, I don't trust her one fucking bit in dealing with an actual tight spot.
    Apples and oranges... You should compare them with something else. Like a store owner or a bouncer. You know, people that have some power.

This is really pathetic. If you act that way to anyone of course they are going to freak out. All she asked was where they were going and he was like, "Am I being detained?" Like wtf? Either he's stupid or he's trying to provoke her. Of course he's not being detained, and he knew that... If your boss asks you to go do something and you don't want to, so in retaliation and you say, "Am I being fired?" of course they are going to freak out at you. Just answer the damn question. You don't even have to answer it truthfully. Just say you are headed home. If they keep asking questions then say, "I'd like to go now, if that's okay?" Much nicer than the douche remark that guy made.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker View Post
    This is really pathetic. If you act that way to anyone of course they are going to freak out. All she asked was where they were going and he was like, "Am I being detained?" Like wtf? Either he's stupid or he's trying to provoke her. Of course he's not being detained, and he knew that... If your boss asks you to go do something and you say, "Am I being fired?" of course they are going to freak out at you. Just answer the damn question. You don't even have to answer it truthfully. Just say you are headed home. If they keep asking questions then say, "I'd like to go now, if that's okay?" Much nicer than the douche remark that guy made.
    He doesn't have to answer the question. How is that a douche remark again? He did ask if he could go, but then the cop asked more questions and had her head almost inside the car. LOL! How is he supposed to go when the cop was blocking him in like that?

99% of the cases when the Police is being an ass with you is because you are being a fucking dick or just making things much harder then it needs to be.

Most of the time people are actually troll baiting the cops, and when they lose it, everyone is all upset about it.

Cops are just human beings, not some superior off-springs of the Dalai Lama with infinite patience to put up with people dicking around. For every one video of cops being dicks or stepping out of line there are 999 cases when people are being fucktwats and or morons, that cops somehow manage to put up with and we never hear about it.

It is odd that I never in my life had problems with cops, when stopped to ID myself or stopped in my car. They want to be done with you as much as you want to be done with them...can't you just make it as quick and as smooth and painless as possible?

And I have also been beat down by the cops. I have a inch long scar on my chin (not very visible). Funny thing is that I completely and totally deserved it. I was at a concert at a festival in Germany in my late teens, the mosh pit devolved into a general brawl and the riot police were called in to restore order. Being a dumb kid that I was, I was all up in arms about it, with the typical -Fuck da Police! shit and started kicking a cop trying to push me out of the concert area. He wasn't hitting me or anything...just pushing me slowly outwards with his shield. The ensuing ass.-kicking and arrest was well deserved. Once I sobered up and had a chat with the cops, I realized I was being a dick and they were just doing their jobs, and there were people seriously injured in the brawl, and they were just doing it all for our own safety.

Why can't people just try and be more cooperative?

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    99% of the cases when the Police is being an ass with you is because you are being a fucking dick or just making things much harder then it needs to be.

Most of the time people are actually troll baiting the cops, and when they lose it, everyone is all upset about it.

Cops are just human beings, not some superior off-springs of the Dalai Lama with infinite patience to put up with people dicking around. For every one video of cops being dicks or stepping out of line there are 999 cases when people are being fucktwats and or morons, that cops somehow manage to put up with and we never hear about it.

It is odd that I never in my life had problems with cops, when stopped to ID myself or stopped in my car. They want to be done with you as much as you want to be done with them...can't you just make it as quick and as smooth and painless as possible?

And I have also been beat down by the cops. I have a inch long scar on my chin (not very visible). Funny thing is that I completely and totally deserved it. I was at a concert at a festival in Germany in my late teens, the mosh pit devolved into a general brawl and the riot police were called in to restore order. Being a dumb kid that I was, I was all up in arms about it, with the typical -Fuck da Police! shit and started kicking a cop trying to push me out of the concert area. He wasn't hitting me or anything...just pushing me slowly outwards with his shield. The ensuing ass.-kicking and arrest was well deserved. Once I sobered up and had a chat with the cops, I realized I was being a dick and they were just doing their jobs, and there were people seriously injured in the brawl, and they were just doing it all for our own safety.

Why can't people just try and be more cooperative?
    How does this matter?I don't care if they're "human" does this mean that it's okay for a pissed off worker at mcdonalds as spectral said, to curse out a person and not be repremanded because hey it's stressful sometimes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    How does this matter?I don't care if they're "human" does this mean that it's okay for a pissed off worker at mcdonalds as spectral said, to curse out a person and not be repremanded because hey it's stressful sometimes?
    Noone should tolerate being trashed for doing your job.

Just, be kind.