Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[TV] Family Guy Getting Dull

I have been a fan of Family Guy since episode one, but lately I've been noticing a decline in humor. It's only the newer episodes that I have a problem with. When you think of it, how many jokes can they make until you they've got nothing to work on. Every season after eight only gave me about three to four real laughs in total. I still like the show and will continue to watch it, but I find it kind of ironic that family guy made fun of The Simpsons for not being funny anymore. What do you think?
    Last edited by Klingensturm; 2013-07-31 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Tpyo

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
    I have been a fan of Family Guy since episode one, but lately I've been noticing a decline in humor. It's only the newer episodes that I have a problem with. When you think of it, how many jokes can they make until you they've got nothing to work on. Every season after eight only gave me about three to four real laughs in total. I still like the show and will continue to watch it, but I find it kind of ironic that family guy made fun of The Simpsons for not being funny anymore. What do you think?
    Eight years of almost anything will get boring. There are only so many jokes you can make, retreads that can happen, coincidences that can occur, flashbacks that can be had, etc. Most people get bored of shows by season 5 on average, regardless of what it is. The only major exceptions are soap operas and their ilk, because they explore the mundane in the most... mundane way possible.

GETTING dull? It never wasn't.

This is how I started to feel about South Park, the newer ones don't really seem to be as funny as seasons 4-12.

Most of the shows in the same genre are all the same except with a different scenario.
    At some point the jokes aren't funny or new anymore, especially after we've had these shows for quite a while now.

It's not like they will stop anyhow.
    They would create the exact same show but instead of with a white lead character, it's a black one.

For me the show got dull after they came back of the cancellation. But even before, they were mostly just using jokes from The Simpsons, and stretched them out a bit.

The Simpsons got dull in season 11, but got a little better during season 14 and 15. Then again in 22 and 23.

South Park got dull at season 8 or so, still love the first 3 seasons with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Most of the shows in the same genre are all the same except with a different scenario.
    At some point the jokes aren't funny or new anymore, especially after we've had these shows for quite a while now.

They would create the exact same show but instead of with a white lead character, it's a black one.
    That'd be The Cleveland Show.

The newer seasons haven't been very good, it seems like Seth MacFarlane started using Family Guy as his own personal soap box for his political views. Also for me personally I found that when Family Guy wasn't as funny American Dad got really good. Most shows the guilty drops around the 6th season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    That'd be The Cleveland Show.
    See? I could make tons of money like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post

Seth MacFarlane is way ahead of you.

It's probably due to the fact that you're getting older and poop jokes aren't really that funny anymore.
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Electromatt View Post
    It's probably due to the fact that you're getting older and poop jokes aren't really that funny anymore.
    poop jokes are always funny.

i think its more that the shock value of Family Guy, with the cut aways etc lose their "shock" because you get used to the mechanic. Age also may bring maturity and the need for more clever stories.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Age also may bring maturity and the need for more clever stories.
    That's what I was referring to.
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    GETTING dull? It never wasn't.
    ...This.

I stopped watching after the first episode. I was happy when the show was canned and angry when they came back to Fox. The show was cancelled because they took the stale jokes too far. That's what McFarline didn't understand. He's since toned things down but it's the same old more or less. The random flashbacks that had absolutely nothing to do with the punchline was taken from Animaniacs only when they deconstructed a gag it was funny.

I honestly didn't find Seth McFarline very good as a performer. The humor always felt forced and as he proved whenever he hosted a live show he can't be funny without being crass. It was so obvious the humor was forced I never got why all my friends ate it up like crack. Yes I'll give him credit for voicing almost all of the characters himself but as a voice actor Homer's (also voices multiple characters on The Simpsons) is a hell of a lot better.

Honestly I preferred The Cleveland Show over Family Guy. At least they knew to mix things up every episode so you weren't essentially getting the same thing. And they confronted some of the stereotypes people have about African American Families. I loved it. I also liked American Dad because Stan Smith could be who Peter Griffin wasn't: The show's Homer Simpson. He was funny without really trying to be. Also like The Cleveland show American Dad they confronted some of the stereotypes people have about Republican Families.

Anywho nothing lasts forever. The Simpsons made it to 25 years which is pretty damned impressive. I doubt any other show will come close to that. Sure the show tanked at the end but it was an amazing ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    poop jokes are always funny.
    I disagree.

It's only funny if it's done correctly. Family Guy couldn't do that. South Park could.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    It's only funny if it's done correctly. Family Guy couldn't do that. South Park could.
    As a concept, poop is always funny. For example if i said i enjoy eating poop sandwiches. it's not funny.

Execution is always key when it comes to poop.
    Hi

is this where i pretend i'm so fucking intellectual that nothing on tv is funny?
    are we pretending that the same exact comedy in a book is better yet or am i too early?

10+ Year Old Account
    its not been funny for a while imo. as a teenager it was my favorite show, the earlier seasons were amazingly funny, even today i still laugh at some of the older clips, but the show should have stopped a while ago imo, ran out of ideas it seems. on the other hand American dad started out terrible imo, but i started to really like it a few years ago. cleveland show is possibly the worst thing ever on TV.
    dragonmaw - EU

15+ Year Old Account
    If find they're not bad in small doses. I dont really watch every episode, just if I'm bored and see a new one.

I think they focus too much on story and interaction between characters now and honestly feel like they don't have enough background music.

American Dad is always the bomb. Every single episode.

South Park, some episodes are kind of stupid, but it's just my kind of humor lol.

Deleted
    I think im just getting older, that kind of entertainment is not fun for me anymore.. i just watch it as a filler when i have time to kill...