Poll: Would another cold war be worth it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would another cold war be worth it, if it meant colonizing the stars?

If the only way to seriously begin investing in space exploration and colonization would be another cold war (with say, China or Russia), would it be worth it?
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2013-08-07 at 03:31 AM.

You probably really can't have another cold war, at least never what 99% of people would call a cold war. Globalization is too much a part of the entire world's culture and you can't effectively remove a superpower's influence from another's without severe damage to both. Think if we broke ties with China: their largest trading partner would no longer exist and we would be fucked as well.

there was a connection between the cold war and the space race?! In what way? i thout it was just about bragging rights of being first...

so what did the us and russia hope to gain by landing on the moon when it comes to tactical advantage in an armsrace?

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    there was a connection between the cold war and the space race?! In what way? i thout it was just about bragging rights of being first...

so what did the us and russia hope to gain by landing on the moon when it comes to tactical advantage in an armsrace?
    Why do you think they were competing to begin with?

Deleted
    No it wouldn't be a bad thing, humanity progresses much faster in a state of war.

Yes they would be bad things as they do nothing that really benefits the economy and would just give our government the oppertunity to dump more money into the military.

An actual major war on the otherhand would be quite different especially if it was large enough for the U.S government to start drafting people into the military again, simply because it would take a large number of people from the public work force thus creating jobs.

Cold War is possible but not sure if that would push space race as main goal.. firstly I think that would push even bigger militarization, push to find new places to get more resources like oil, and only then maybe we might see space race if they won't find something more important to fund.

the cold war is still going on...

cold war no, it wouldnt be worth it. i could see a space race being feasible for other reasons, and that could bring some good advances
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I voted that it would be worth it for one reason alone. If this were to happen, it would be such a tremendous boost to not only our own, but to the global economy at large. Funneling that much money into industry (space ex. and colonization) is more-or-less the reason we dug ourselves out of the Great Depression in America (funneling money into arms and armaments). It supplied steady jobs with good income for the time and had a lasting positive effect on our global economic standing. It would be beneficial in so many ways.

However, if it turned into an actual guns, tanks, and nukes war, it would do way more harm then good obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    the cold war is still going on...
    in what possible way could you think that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is faster technological advancement for a time balanced against a heightened potential to wipe out the vast majority of humanity worth it? Nope. Denied.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post

The belief that the other side was planning to use the moon for resources and a way to launch weapons at the other side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ace1231337 View Post
    You probably really can't have another cold war, at least never what 99% of people would call a cold war. Globalization is too much a part of the entire world's culture and you can't effectively remove a superpower's influence from another's without severe damage to both. Think if we broke ties with China: their largest trading partner would no longer exist and we would be fucked as well.
    I dunno. I think we could pivot and switch our manufacturing elsewhere, and I think China's got a strong enough domestic market now that with some adjustment they could absorb the changes too.

I don't think it would be smart for either of us, but I imagine our countries could handle it.

I don't think a cold war or a hot one is smart in any way.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    With or without the proxy wars and funding of rebel groups that will cause problems for us in a couple decades?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

too many private groups now investing in space exploration defeats this purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    War is the health of the state.

This is way too close.

Methinks many of you never sat up at night wondering if this would be the night the nukes fly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ace1231337 View Post
    In the long run I think pulling out from the "world culture" would be good for the USA, it would let us heal from our self-inflicted wounds and reconnect with who we are.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    No it wouldn't be a bad thing, humanity progresses much faster in a state of war.
    One can tell your general education stems mainly from video games and cinema.