Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What is NEEDED in a good UI?

I have tried many different UI's and UI packages over the years. I was wondering what the MMO-Champ community feels is important in a UI.

I feel that a good unit frame, threat meter, and boss mod are needed. A bar mod is aesthetically pleasing, but not needed.

I am using a castbar mod for latency and weak auras for proc tracking. Anything else you guys feel are mandatory?

How people prefer to see timers/cooldowns will vary from one to another.
    Means something like WeakAuras can be substituted for one of many others.

Threat can be tracked via other means, on some unitframes, on some nameplates or simply sound/text notifications.

I would not call any single addon mandatory, though some if used well are pretty hard to find good alternatives to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Means something like WeakAuras can be substituted for one of many others.
    Blasphemy! :P
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Maybe I should have said, what do you feel you need to know to be an efficient raider.

Unit frames to keep things tidy and to better track any timers, Bar mod to prevent a bloated UI, and a Boss mod for obvious reasons.

I like to use Cast Bar mod(Quartz) because I prefer a larger and more visible bar. However, I'm not sure if others find it necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't need to see for how much stuff heals or damages. I don't use scrolling combat text addons. They IMO provide useless rows of numbers that serve little purpose.
    I use Weakauras to track important procs, but not every single combat proc (like trinkets or weapons). I have my WeakAuras let me know visually when the stars align, so I know when is a good time to burst (Trinket Proc+Weapon Proc+Enraged+Colossus Smash off CD) but not every proc individually, they only provide screen clutter.

I pretty much use the stock UI+WeakAuras and DBM. The Stock UI has improved greatly and provides enough information.

The rest of my addons provide out of combat help, such as bag sorting, summon a random mount and summoning a random companion pet when out of combat.
    Last edited by Thundertom; 2013-08-04 at 10:48 AM.
    Warlock (SL main)

tellmewhen
    castbars
    postal
    recount
    bagnon
    shadowed unit frames
    atlas loot
    move anything
    and that's about it, my addons that are absolutely needed for me
    p.s. not using boss mods

Centralized information.

At the end of the day, that's what matters.

Deleted
    I just want to be able to track what dots/debuffs are on my target and what isn't.

Deleted
    different for each person
    I use
    Elv, Power Aura's Classic, DBM, Tidy Plates
    Dont need anything else.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the important part for me in a UI is the placement of the abilities. Though I am good enough with just the standard UI, it has everything I need. Then you add the essential addons such as DBM, got no other that is required.

Deleted
    Deadly boss mode, ELV UI, Weak auras & ForteX

Works fine for me, and ofc I have some extra for farming/bgs etc. (NPC_scanner, postal, bgtargets etc. All of those is amust if you do farming or bgs)

Deleted
    I'd say this:
    - something that changes the appearance of health bars (shown with 'V' if you didn't change that keybinding) like Aloft or the integrated version from elvUI.
    - cooldown count text (really simple but important to me)
    - Deadly Boss Mods (if you like to raid) or something similar.
    - Gladius (if you like to play arena)
    - (my personal favorite) Power Auras Classic. This gives me the opportunity to make icons/effects appear on my screen whenever important things happen. I pvp a lot, and made myself a warning whenever my enemy got Divine Shield, Hand of Protection, Deterrance, Ice Block... stuff that make him immune for physical damage. This is so great to not miss any of the small buffs on your screen that are so damn important to not miss.
    - something that tells your party when you interrupted someone or when you do a major cooldown. This is so much easier then making macro's. RSA is a great addon for this!

optional:
    - different unit frames. (As long as I can move them to the middle I'm fine already, and since that's possible now with blizz ui, why wouldn't you use that)
    - threatmeter or damage meter. (both completely useless if you know how to play, but some people like meters.) (I myself always had to watch my recount meter when i was raiding, just for the sake of pleasing myself when I got rank 1 dps again trolol;-))
    - atlas(loot). It's a great addon to have, but really not needed to perform better in pve or pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by lefse View Post
    Maybe I should have said, what do you feel you need to know to be an efficient raider.
    For DPS:

- A way to know which of your abilities are up and which are coming up in next five seconds
    - What the boss will do in the next 10 seconds
    - A way to know you're standing in bad shit and need to move immediately
    - Enemy/focus castbar if you're assigned to interrupt something

That is the bare minimum you actually need to know. Raid frames, threat meters and all of that is purely optional.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bartender is fantastic.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    - frame (oUF, ShadowedUF)
    - timer (NeedToKnow)
    - action bars (bartender/domino)
    - castbar (acb/quartz)
    - a Pee meter (recount, skada)
    - boss mod (DBM, BigWigs)

you're good to go with this

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the role and class. I'm a mistweaver monk and I do fine with only a boss mod and the default raid frames, though I use skada as well for less relevant reasons.

Other classes however would probably want to use more than that.

Deleted
    imo the default UI is perfectly fine (when adjusted properly) with the exception of the way it displays dots, or just target buff/debuffs in general. The way it displays your own buffs is also sub optimal, having short duration procs mixed in with passive auras is super messy.

Default UI + something like fortexorcist to track dots and procs (or Weakauras or equivalent) is all that I'd consider mandatory for me to be able to raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only mod I find "necessary" (used loosely) is OmniCC or similar CD timer. Everything else can be done without for me.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    For DPS:

- A way to know which of your abilities are up and which are coming up in next five seconds
    - What the boss will do in the next 10 seconds
    - A way to know you're standing in bad shit and need to move immediately
    - Enemy/focus castbar if you're assigned to interrupt something

That is the bare minimum you actually need to know. Raid frames, threat meters and all of that is purely optional.
    TBH a way to know you stand is bad is called eyes, but overall i agree.
    Might add something to keep track of trinkets. Means a lot if you can apply dots/bleeds/diseases when the procs are up at their highest.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away