Thread: Dragon's Crown

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dragon's Crown

Dragon's Crown released in the US today! Anybody pick it up? I'm planning on grabbing it after I get my paycheck on Friday, and I'm super excited. From what I've seen so far, it looks pretty cool. It's a side-scrolling brawler game for the PS3 and PS Vita, for those who are unfamiliar with it. Personally, I have my fingers crossed for a PC release eventually, but I don't mind playing it on the PS3 for now. Here's some videos, if you've never heard of the game before!

I plan on getting it at some point, seems ridiculously fun. And despite all the hate the fanservice got from a lot of the gaming sites, I quite dig the art style in the game, it looks gorgeous.

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched the Totalibiscuit review concerning Gender issues and the controversy surrounding the Polygon review. The game itself looks pretty damn fun and interesting, and the mini-game where you cook food for bonuses look interesting as well. Sadly, I don't have a PS3. =(

Deleted
    Lol, reminds me of

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit its today damn gotta get it then odin sphere was awesome so I'm certain this will be too.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Deleted
    looks damn identical to King of Dragons for SNES which i loved playing. Nice to see these kinds of games pooping up every now and then.

I don't want to get into a big discussion about the review and the sorceress (I don't care about her because I like the Amazon's gameplay), but I'll be damned if someone can give me a good explanation to why Madison Paige isn't as offensive as the Sorceress. She didn't even serve a purpose in Heavy Rain (write her out of the script, and you would still have the same game).

Anyway, to get back on topic, is there any word if this game has some kind of dlc like Harmony of Despair? And is the online mode any good? I wanna try the Amazon, but I'm hoping the mutiplayer will be like HoD's.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I watched the Totalibiscuit review concerning Gender issues and the controversy surrounding the Polygon review.
    Ugh, seriously, the whole focus on the Polygon review is nonsense. It's been getting stellar reviews almost everywhere else but what does everyone focus on? "OH EM GEE! POLYGONS SAID THEY DIDN'T LIKE IT BECAUSE OF THE ART IN THE GAME AND STUFF!"

They're allowed to not like it for those reasons, they're perfectly valid reasons. That doesn't mean that it should be the topic of as much attention as it's gotten throughout the interwebs, and it's damn frustrating that it's overpowering discussion about the game instead of you know...the actual game or the dozens of great reviews its gotten.

This comment isn't directed at you, it's just a general gripe because that topic pisses the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This comment isn't directed at you, it's just a general gripe because that topic pisses the hell out of me.
    A female saying "SEXY TIME", walking like a sexy supermodel despite the game is supposed to portray "real life," and is treated as a piece of meat sex object while she serves no purpose other than being eye candy/masturbation material in one of David Cage's many shitty games = A-Okay!

The sorceress from Dragon's Crown = RAAAAAAAWR!!

I'll take the Sorceress over Madison because Madison offended me throughout Heavy Rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Ugh, seriously, the whole focus on the Polygon review is nonsense. It's been getting stellar reviews almost everywhere else but what does everyone focus on? "OH EM GEE! POLYGONS SAID THEY DIDN'T LIKE IT BECAUSE OF THE ART IN THE GAME AND STUFF!"

They're allowed to not like it for those reasons, they're perfectly valid reasons. That doesn't mean that it should be the topic of as much attention as it's gotten throughout the interwebs, and it's damn frustrating that it's overpowering discussion about the game instead of you know...the actual game or the dozens of great reviews its gotten.

Same here. People are blowing it entirely out of proportion. I can understand that some people might not like it, but even so, they don't get to dictate what kind of art should be used in video games, so it's really not a valid argument in terms of the actual quality of the game. A friend of mine was bitching at me the other day because I told him I was planning on buying the game, and he said that the art was demeaning toward women (I found that part kind of funny, since I am a woman and I really don't care at all about the Sorceress having huge jugs), and I told him that if he didn't like it he didn't have to buy it. It's as simple as that. People need to stop raging over it and focus on the actual gameplay and things that actually matter regarding whether a game is good or not. When I read a review, I don't want to hear about the author's opinion of the art, I want to know how the game plays. Before I knew about the game, I tried to do some reading on it and I probably read a half dozen articles about the Sorceress's boobs before finding a single one about the actual gameplay. There's something wrong with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am getting my copy tomorrow, cant wait to play it and its awesome to see that other people find it similar to Knights of the Round/King of Dragons. I actually have been keeping myself isolated from the majority of information regarding the game as to get the best effect when I play it and had not known there was such a huge shit storm about the over emphasized characters. Its a classic beat em up based around tropes of fantasy works so I dont see how a bunch of characters that are completely unrealistic body types would not fit into the theme. If a new Contra was made I would expect the characters to be based off of 80s style action movie gun toting meat heads and would hate to see the theme and style of the game diluted in an attempt to make it more realistic or socially acceptable or what have you, I am really glad the characters were designed the way they were in Dragon's Crown. I am really hoping this turns out to be another Vanillaware title that finds its way into my top games of all time like Muramasa and Odin Sphere have.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game is so much fun to play and that's all that should matter. I love the art style. Everything is an exaggeration and follows a consistent style. It's not like the Sorceress is the only cartoon caricature on the screen. Every single one of the characters is a caricature or do you really want me to believe that those male warriors can really march around all chest and no legs?

People really need to relax and just play the games.

I can be like some of the critics and crawl up Atlus's butt to claim that the male fighter is an unhealthy stereotype of male expectations.

So jealous, wish this was out in Australia
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggis View Post
    Lol, reminds me of
    Yes! I loved me some Knights of the Round back in the day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Speaking of Odin Sphere, I hope Dragon's Crown has a bit more responsive controls than Odin Sphere. In OS it kinda felt like the controls were ~0,5-1 sec behind.
    In particular zones in odin sphere mainly the underworld the game tends to slow down a lot so that could be part of it as well.

This game looks pretty fun, just a shame I don't have a PS3 or PS Vita.

Also it's odd that people are so up in arms about the "two ladies", yet no one complains about the Elf. I mean, she is so short, I thought elves were supposed to be tall?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    This game looks pretty fun, just a shame I don't have a PS3 or PS Vita.

Also it's odd that people are so up in arms about the "two ladies", yet no one complains about the Elf. I mean, she is so short, I thought elves were supposed to be tall?
    DnD elves were always quite short.

I think the amazon looks fine. As far as I'm aware, she does look like what the typical character would. And yeah... the sorceress is a bit... busty... but it's not like having an unnecissarily scantly-clad, busty woman in fantasy settings is a new thing...

Really, out of all of them, I find the fighter to be the most... strange. I dunno, his head really doesn't match his body, looks more like he'd have a skinny, pencil-thin body. But really, you can complain about how the women look for "gender issues", but isn't huge, bulgy muscles the female-equivlent of it? Just because I don't think they'd get away with putting huge bulges on the men...
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    I think the amazon looks fine. As far as I'm aware, she does look like what the typical character would. And yeah... the sorceress is a bit... busty... but it's not like having an unnecissarily scantly-clad, busty woman in fantasy settings is a new thing...

Really, out of all of them, I find the fighter to be the most... strange. I dunno, his head really doesn't match his body, looks more like he'd have a skinny, pencil-thin body. But really, you can complain about how the women look for "gender issues", but isn't huge, bulgy muscles the female-equivlent of it? Just because I don't think they'd get away with putting huge bulges on the men...
    I agree its a viscous double standard, but you can't tell that to the die hard zealots, I personally have no self esteem issues and I could give a rats ass about such things personally.

I like the character designs. Haters gonna hate.