Thread: drones in yemen

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

drones in yemen

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...a67_story.html

so the washingtonpost claim that the drones killed al-Qaida militants in Yemen.

here is a pic of the drone strike "https://twitter.com/BaFana3/status/362926045202100226"

people managed to identify a child and his father, they were moving concrete and they had nothing to do with AQ.

in the last 10 days 36Yemenis were killed by US drones only that child and his father were identified, the rest were charred or torn to small pieces and the yamani Gov didnt even visit any of the droned sites to investigate.

months ago these drones attacked a rural area in yemen and most of its victim were kids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIY5frRsnos)

why dose thee US gov use them when they know that they kill civilians way more than "terrorists"?
    if anything they just boost the AQ recruitment every time they kill a child.
    " In a Society like this table, a state of equilibrium, once one makes the first move, everyone must follow! In every era, this World has been operating by this napkin principle. And the one who ‘takes the napkin first’ must be someone who is respected by all. It’s not that anyone can fulfill this role… Those that are despotic or unworthy will be scorned. And those are the ‘losers"

Drone Strikes have killed innocents, there is no doubting that, and I do wonder if more could be done to make them less damaging to the civilian population, but we're dealing with a nation that is very corrupt, and is a breeding ground for terrorist activity.

While it isn't nice, but you can't allow a known Al'Qaeda commander to make his escape, or live much longer despite the population around him. Sadly, this is the price that they must pay. I don't agree with it, and as I said, I would prefer methods that cause far less collateral damage, but these things happen when you're fighting terrorists.

However - In a lot of the cases, the belief that the people on the ground are always innocent is actually nonsense. While of course, innocent Men, Women & Children are killed, sometimes the commanders are using them as shields, or they're workers for the local commander.

people in america don't care because it doesn't effect them.

It's nothing more than assassination really what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by btorz View Post

I don't really think it is fair to hold the American people responsible, because they don't care.

Did you get up this morning and care for those killed by Famine, Drought, Disease, Pestilence, Civil War & Natural Disasters? No, because it doesn't impact you. Only once you're told, and you can sensationalise the story, do people care.

So...care to give a source for the "child and his father" thing? Neither that article, nor the twitter page mentions it.

Not saying it doesn't/hasn't happened. But surely people wouldn't make something like that up just to get a rise out of others.

By the way, what does "nation that does not improve the industry of death does not improve the industry of life" mean? I'm hoping it's just google translate butchering it...

Until recently there had only been a handful of strikes in Yemen this year. This upsurge coincides with the recent threat. If I’m going to speculate, it seems like intell picked up a threat from Yemen but they didn’t get specifics so they’re just knocking out as many low level targets as they can in an effort to disrupt whatever was planned.

It's the age old question, would you kill ten innocents to save twenty others.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    will you spare the life of a "terrorist" so that 5 more wont have to be terrorists?
    " In a Society like this table, a state of equilibrium, once one makes the first move, everyone must follow! In every era, this World has been operating by this napkin principle. And the one who ‘takes the napkin first’ must be someone who is respected by all. It’s not that anyone can fulfill this role… Those that are despotic or unworthy will be scorned. And those are the ‘losers"

There was a good programme on the BBCnews channel when I was drifting off to sleep, not sure if you can watch it online but it showed that pretty much all the drone strikes are doing is killing civilians and prompting people to sign up to Al'Qaeda (who are happy to pay for the funerals of the civilians killed as well as give out compensation that the Yemeni and US governments won't even acknowledge there is a need for).
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/n3cstnpd

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    So...care to give a source for the "child and his father" thing? Neither that article, nor the twitter page mentions it.

https://twitter.com/joshbegley/statu...34212451508224

i will need to look in my last 7days archive in twitter, and i doubt i will find anything in English

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Drone Strikes have killed innocents, there is no doubting that, and I do wonder if more could be done to make them less damaging to the civilian population, but we're dealing with a nation that is very corrupt, and is a breeding ground for terrorist activity.

While it isn't nice, but you can't allow a known Al'Qaeda commander to make his escape, or live much longer despite the population around him. Sadly, this is the price that they must pay. I don't agree with it, and as I said, I would prefer methods that cause far less collateral damage, but these things happen when you're fighting terrorists.

However - In a lot of the cases, the belief that the people on the ground are always innocent is actually nonsense. While of course, innocent Men, Women & Children are killed, sometimes the commanders are using them as shields, or they're workers for the local commander.
    Indeed they are so corrupt the government is taking the blame for killings they don't commit

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by habitsbreaker View Post
    will you spare the life of a "terrorist" so that 5 more wont have to be terrorists?
    Both interesting questions.

But the fact of the matter is that it is never right to cause this much collateral damage trying to kill people you deem terrorists, be it in other countries or your own. The only reason countries do this, is because they can. Would it be alright for another country to launch attacks into the US if they could for the sake of catching supposed terrorists that are or aren't there at the cost of massive collateral damage to life and property? I doubt thats something that anyone would consider is up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by btorz View Post

I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

Ready for it?

Sure?

99.0% of Americans never even touch a Drone, or its controls, and only ever see them on TV. Many Americans WOULD care if they understood the full impact of drone strikes. And some of us, like me, support the idea of leaving the Middle East completely. Cutting off aid, pulling out our troops, and letting the entire area resume it's endless cycle of chaos and destruction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    By the way, what does "nation that does not improve the industry of death does not improve the industry of life" mean? I'm hoping it's just google translate butchering it...
    Basically "A population which doesn't know how to die, is a one which doesn't know how to live." Might be related to Syria or the 'Arab Spring' as the poster is from UAE (I believe?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Random Muslims have been attacking us randomly since the 1980's(probably before that). We just decided to start returning the favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Both interesting questions.

But the fact of the matter is that it is never right to cause this much collateral damage trying to kill people you deem terrorists, be it in other countries or your own. The only reason countries do this, is because they can. Would it be alright for another country to launch attacks into the US if they could for the sake of catching supposed terrorists that are or aren't there at the cost of massive collateral damage to life and property? I doubt thats something that anyone would consider is up for debate.
    The ratio of civilian deaths in drone strikes is lower than virtually all types of warfare. Even the bin laden raid had a higher civilian casualty ratio (20%).

And the yemeni government supports US drone strikes. Pakistan too but they do it behind closed doors.
    Last edited by Olo; 2013-08-10 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Indeed they are so corrupt the government is taking the blame for killings they don't commit
    Not quite sure what you're trying to get at here, but Yemen does have a very corrupt Government, and local authority infrastructure is not suited to the kind of international warfare that they're dealing with.

Do I condone the death of innocent Men, Women & Children? No. Not only is is a terrible loose, it also give fuel to the enemy, showing us all as barbaric invaders and being used as more brainwashing material.

Do I understand that in this style of warfare, innocent Men, Women & Children will die? Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    99.0% of Americans never even touch a Drone, or its controls, and only ever see them on TV. Many Americans WOULD care if they understood the full impact of drone strikes. And some of us, like me, support the idea of leaving the Middle East completely. Cutting off aid, pulling out our troops, and letting the entire area resume it's endless cycle of chaos and destruction.
    You surely mean giving the ME a rest from western and eastern imperialism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Would it be alright for another country to launch attacks into the US if they could for the sake of catching supposed terrorists that are or aren't there at the cost of massive collateral damage to life and property? I doubt thats something that anyone would consider is up for debate.
    This is the only thing I hate about the United States Foreign Policy. They have vast programs around the world that allow them to have combat ready troops, be it Army, Navy or Air Force in battle in almost any nation around the world within the hour.

America has a belief that they're free to bombard, attack and get involved wherever they feel a threat is going to come from, yet if the Pakistani Government flew a drone into the United States and bombed the Westboro Baptist Church, there would be hell to pay, and the wrath of such insolence would be made very public, and very dramatic.

America is not the police force of the world, but they have gotten themselves stuck in that mindset, and unless they're prepared to accept that their corrupt system(s) are also at the mercy and intervention of other nations, they should stop intervening in the affairs of others without solid evidence or good cause.

We gonna kill dem terrorist be fo they hit ta 'Murica.

Infracted: Please post constructively and contribute to the topic.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-08-11 at 12:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."