Poll: If adopted, find biological parnets?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Nah. They can rot.

I cannot answer this question simply because i have never been in this situation and never will be.
    Fuck knows what i would want to do, i guess it would all depend on the upbringing and emotional side to it, probably a bit of curiosity too,what type of person i grew up to be etc etc.
    Effects like this are kinda unimaginable unless you had to actually go through with it.

Every adopted person I know, including my father, has gone through a bit of pain and depression over it. Can't really put myself in their shoes too easily, but I assume I would want to find out without my bio parents finding out. Perhaps with a private investigator.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I would probably want to find my real parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can honestly say, no, I have ZERO desire as an adopted child to know someone who really is nothing to me. Family is a state of mind, not a bunch of acid strands. The idea of biology being important is outdated, what really matters is the people who raise you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would probably seek them out only to ask why the left me their. and if they tried to act like parents I would hate them. I dont really care if thats selfish

It's a question I've asked myself a lot of times.

Ultimately I've decided not to go looking, but... well, maybe I will. Some day. Maybe I'll want to find my biological parents then, just to tell them that the son they had to give up is doing alright, that he really beat the odds of this nation's horrifically bad adoption and foster system and has had a good life so far. And in any case... I don't have a very big family, it's just me and my mom, really, and some day, though I hate to say it, it'll be just me. Maybe I'll want to know them just to know that there's others of my family out there.

It's a hard question to ask oneself.

I'm astonished at the number of people going 'fuck them' and 'they can rot.' I mean, really? Typically children are given up for adoption because the parent realizes that the child just cannot be properly cared for. You think it was an easy decision for them? To bring a child completely to term and then give the child up? I can't speak for everybody, I KNOW I can't, but I do know that if I was ever faced with that decision and had to give a child up because I couldn't provide for them, I would spend every day of my life wondering if the child made it alright in life.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2013-08-14 at 12:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    It's a question I've asked myself a lot of times.

Ultimately I've decided not to go looking, but... well, maybe I will. Some day. Maybe I'll want to find my biological parents then, just to tell them that the son they had to give up is doing alright, that he really beat the odds of this nation's horrifically bad adoption and foster system and has had a good life so far. And in any case... I don't have a very big family, it's just me and my mom, really, and some day, though I hate to say it, it'll be just me. Maybe I'll want to know them just to know that there's others of my family out there.

It's a hard question to ask oneself.

I'm astonished at the number of people going 'fuck them' and 'they can rot.' I mean, really? Typically children are given up for adoption because the parent realizes that the child just cannot be properly cared for. You think it was an easy decision for them? To bring a child completely to term and then give the child up? I can't speak for everybody, I KNOW I can't, but I do know that if I was ever faced with that decision and had to give a child up because I couldn't provide for them, I would spend every day of my life wondering if the child made it alright in life.
    My wife was single teen mother, who had no family support. Thus, I know it can be done. But really, why even consider it? What really makes them anything more than a DNA supply and an incubater?

Not every parent that has a kid in the "system" is a deadbeat like most of you assholes seem to believe.

I have a daughter out there (currently 6), that I didnt even know existed until she was 2 years old and her mom told me the truth.

I am a single father of a 3 year old daughter. I raise her by myself. So no, not everyone is a dead beat.

EDIT: Its also an open adoption, so at one point, she will know she was adopted. She'll also be-able to find me, if she so chooses.
    Last edited by babalou1; 2013-08-14 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    My wife was single teen mother, who had no family support. Thus, I know it can be done. But really, why even consider it? What really makes them anything more than a DNA supply and an incubater?
    Because somewhere, a parent gave up a child, and now has to live with not knowing how well that child did.

I want to be able to 1) thank them for making a hard decision and 2) let them know that it was the right one, and I turned out alright.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe out of curiosity but not to replace the parents who raised me.

I think I would want to seek out my biological parents. Probably to find out why they gave me up and to let them know how I turned out.

Deleted
    Depends on how the process was and weither my real parents actually gave a fuck.

Nope, they didn't wanna be part of my life from the start, so there's no way I'd let them be part of it later.

10+ Year Old Account
    nope. only speaking from my own limited experience here, ive never known my dad, my sister has, but only a little, last year he contacted her after 22years of never saying a word to her seeing if we want to meet him, hell no. sure he's related, but he's not family to me, as far as i am concerned he's just as much family is the stranger on passing on the street. he still never tried to contact me, only my sister.
    dragonmaw - EU

Probably not, but I might change my mind years from now..?

I've always had this odd feeling I was adopted, but never really bothered asking because the people who raised me are who I consider my true parents. All my love for them for raising me.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Find them? Sure, might be nice to know where I came from. Devote my life to it and trying to have a relationship with them? Well I sure a fuck wouldn't make it 'my mission' if they were unwilling, but maybe a friendship, depends entirely on the circumstances of the adoption. Nonetheless, I'd be damn sure to make the people who ARE my family and raised me feel like they got the drop on my heart.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering I know my biological father is a complete jerk and left me and my Mom with nothing, well I'm not going to hold my breath for him. Not to mention AFTER I was born and what not, he goes *I don't want kids anymore* He didn't say that before Mom married him though. Sucks.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    No, if they abandoned me, they're not my parents, why seek them? Not only that but I also know that it doesn't matter why they did it, I wouldn't be able to forgive them anyway so why open up old wounds.
    And if they didn't so much abandon you but rather decided it would be difficult for them to support you in their current state and figured you deserved something better?

Anyways, I'd possibly do it, couldn't say for sure if I would or not since I haven't been in that situation but I could see myself being curious to know who they are and why they did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Because somewhere, a parent gave up a child, and now has to live with not knowing how well that child did.

I want to be able to 1) thank them for making a hard decision and 2) let them know that it was the right one, and I turned out alright.
    Remember this, other than your looks, everything you are is because of your actual parents, not your "bio" parents.