Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Star Craft Universe Kickstarter Campaign

Throwing this out there for anyone who is interested. It's getting close to the deadline and they are coming up a bit short on donations. Check it out.

I am in no way affiliated with this project. Just a fan trying to help out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...craft-universe

there is no way this to be legit
    Last edited by vipers; 2013-09-02 at 01:09 AM.

It's absolutely legit, it's all there on the kickstarter page. watch the videos, google it etc.

http://upheavalarts.com/starcraftuniverse/

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/08/12/st...its-open-beta/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazi View Post
    Throwing this out there for anyone who is interested. It's getting close to the deadline and they are coming up a bit short on donations. Check it out.

There is no way Blizz would allow this.

I could be wrong but I must say unless they got the OK from blizzard I forsee them getting sued in the near future for copyright.

- - - Updated - - -

It's absolutely legit, it's all there on the kickstarter page. watch the videos, google it etc.

http://upheavalarts.com/starcraftuniverse/

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/08/12/st...its-open-beta/
    Dose not matter Starcraft and all things related are owned by Blizzard entertainment.

The kickstarter could be real but the project is breaking many laws and like I just said I forsee them getting sued.

Only way they won't get sued is if blizzard gave them the OK and they can prove it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

WATCH THE VIDEO!!!! Blizzard has given them their blessing

http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/08/st...seeking-funds/

The entire project is done with the tools given to you with SC2.

Has no one hear ever heard of the Starcraft II Arcade... built into the Starcraft client?

This has been in development on there for a long time. No, they aren't breaking laws. They are using tools that Blizzard provides with the Starcraft client to make this. This is breaking the law no more than DotA was back on WCIII. Notice that you have to own Starcraft II in order to play this... because it is made by Blizzard tools and run via a Blizzard client...
    Religion isn't the absence of reason. It's merely the presence of faith.
    Heroes of the Storm : all day erryday

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevvy88 View Post
    Has no one hear ever heard of the Starcraft II Arcade... built into the Starcraft client?

This has been in development on there for a long time. No, they aren't breaking laws. They are using tools that Blizzard provides with the Starcraft client to make this. This is breaking the law no more than DotA was back on WCIII. Notice that you have to own Starcraft II in order to play this... because it is made by Blizzard tools and run via a Blizzard client...
    Literally the first lines I read are "A free to play science fiction Multi-Player Online RPG played through Battle.net on StarCraft II. (No StarCraft purchase required)". You were saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Literally the first lines I read are "A free to play science fiction Multi-Player Online RPG played through Battle.net on StarCraft II. (No StarCraft purchase required)". You were saying?
    And they still have Blizzard's blessing so the point is moot.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Oops.

Oh well. Is it still being designed with the tools that come with SCII?

If you read down under the "what is SCU" section,

"StarCraft Universe (SCU) is a game mod (Note: it is not a standalone game) for StarCraft II."

I honestly can't explain the contradiction, when I started following the project it was an in game mod for SC2. With Blizzards blessing maybe they are making it somehow playable outside of the game itself? Not sure.

EDIT: it seems you can play the mod via the starter edition of the game.

"to start up the game, make sure you at least have the StarCraft: Starter Edition installed, then click the link below which corresponds to your region" https://us.battle.net/account/sc2/starter-edition/
    Last edited by Kazi; 2013-09-02 at 01:23 AM.

Wait a second... so you have to have Starcraft II... but you don't have to have Starcraft II? Maybe you have to have the base game (Wings of Liberty) and they are saying that in order to play their game, no Starcraft purchase is required? Unless trial accounts can access the arcade and I'm just not aware of that. I honestly don't play Starcraft past the story, so I dont' really know what the trial limits are.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you read down under the "what is SCU" section,

"StarCraft Universe (SCU) is a game mod (Note: it is not a standalone game) for StarCraft II."

I honestly can't explain the contradiction, when I started following the project it was an in game mod for SC2. With Blizzards blessing maybe they are making it somehow playable outside of the game itself? Not sure.
    Now that I've read the whole thing, you can play arcade games like this even when you have a starter edition, which is free. I guess that explains it.

Right but arnt they breaking the law asking for money for a game they do not own. They have to use the Starcraft II mod to make said game therefor they are using blizzards content and asking for money to do it.

Just like the case where that company in China ripped off TorchLight II and tryed to charge people 10$ to buy it from the apple store.

The difference here being they are asking for the kickstarter money not trying to sell the game itself.

As I said I could be wrong.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Right but arnt they breaking the law asking for money for a game they do not own. They have to use the Starcraft II mod to make said game therefor they are using blizzards content and asking for money to do it.

Just like the case where that company in China ripped off TorchLight II and tryed to charge people 10$ to buy it from the apple store.
    I'm not an expert on law (at all), but I'll roll the dice and say they could only get in trouble asking for money over Kickstarter if it came to light that they actually used the donated money for something other than the project.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    And they still have Blizzard's blessing so the point is moot.
    Just curious What does Blizzard hope to get from this though? I guess they're hoping more people on starter accounts will buy the whole thing because they like the game.

Just curious What does Blizzard hope to get from this though? I guess they're hoping more people on starter accounts will buy the whole thing because they like the game.
    What does Blizzard have to gain from the Starcraft Arcade at all?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

The difference here being they are asking for the kickstarter money not trying to sell the game itself.

As I said I could be wrong.
    Way I see it, they are using the Kickstarter to pay their "salary" for building and producing the game, once they're done developing they might make another deal with Blizzard to earn some money off it. I think that was supposed to be possible for arcade developers anyway, but I haven't really kept up to date on it.

- - - Updated - - -

What does Blizzard have to gain from the Starcraft Arcade at all?
    Promoting a modding community attracts more people to the game.

As was mentioned before, this is in the same vein as DOTA for WC3. Popular fan made content just increases their product identity and helps sell more. Would be pretty shitty if they gave you the tools to do this stuff then shut you down for using them.

Way I see it, they are using the Kickstarter to pay their "salary" for building and producing the game, once they're done developing they might make another deal with Blizzard to earn some money off it. I think that was supposed to be possible for arcade developers anyway, but I haven't really kept up to date on it.
    Therefor they would be asking money from blizzard for making something blizzard already owns....

When you use a Mod Tool any content made by it is owned by the company who let out said mod tool. So they are starting a Kickstarter to get payed to make a mod for a game owned by blizzard. To me it seems like a group of people just want to get payed to mod while tons of others do it for free.

Hell look at the guy who did that huge mod to skyrim just to try to get a job with Bethesda that had full voice acting and everything.

- - - Updated - - -

As was mentioned before, this is in the same vein as DOTA for WC3. Popular fan made content just increases their product identity and helps sell more. Would be pretty shitty if they gave you the tools to do this stuff then shut you down for using them.
    The difference is DOTA was a free made mode.

This mod on the otherhand is getting the guys payed threw kickstarter.