Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Iowa husband shoots, kills escaped inmate who held him, wife hostage.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/20/ju...hot/index.html

An Iowa man shot and killed an escaped inmate on Tuesday after the convict held him and his wife hostage in their home, investigators said.

Good thing this guy had a gun huh?

Deleted
    Wow, someone used his gun proper for once!

Did the inmate have a gun too?

Good thing he had a gun... which the inmate used to threaten them. The only thing that makes guns look good here is that he was able to get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by InDecisive View Post
    Story says he shot one officer before breaking into the home, and took the old guys shotgun. The inmate then left the shotgun in the kitchen while he was upstairs 'looking for supplies'.

So... the gun only saved this guy because the inmate let him have it.

I don't think this story is one you want to highlight as a triumph of gun ownership.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    Wow, someone used his gun proper for once!
    Happens more often than what you're led to believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    He deserves a thank you from all the taxpayers whose money he prevented from being wasted keeping this guy alive.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Good thing he had a gun... which the inmate used to threaten them. The only thing that makes guns look good here is that he was able to get it back.
    The inmate already had a handgun on him when he entered. So unless the man had his weapon physically on him and ready, of course he was going to be in a less advantageous position. It's a good thing the inmate was dumb enough to leave the shotgun downstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Story says he shot one officer before breaking into the home, and took the old guys shotgun. The inmate then left the shotgun in the kitchen while he was upstairs 'looking for supplies'.

So... the gun only saved this guy because the inmate let him have it.

I don't think this story is one you want to highlight as a triumph of gun ownership.

Indeed, if the prisoner was actually a murderer he would of just killed them with the gun they gave him and walked away a bit more armed.

So, basically, guns are good because after someone breaks into your home and steals your gun they *might* be stupid enough to give the gun back to you and turn their back to you as well.

Right.

If that's the best people can do for showing why people need guns in their homes you're really not doing yourselves any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    So, basically, guns are good because after someone breaks into your home and steals your gun they *might* be stupid enough to give the gun back to you and turn their back to you as well.

Right.

If that's the best people can do for showing why people need guns in their homes you're really not doing yourselves any favors.
    So you'd rather be at the mercy of an armed intruder? You're fucking nuts. Sorry, but police aren't reliable enough in many places to be there in time to save you. Also, not every home invasion starts off with the intruder getting the drop on the homeowner.

Deleted
    Locking doors would probaly be as effective as guns...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    Locking doors would probaly be as effective as guns...
    thats what bear traps are for.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    So you'd rather be at the mercy of an armed intruder? You're fucking nuts. Sorry, but police aren't reliable enough in many places to be there in time to save you. Also, not every home invasion starts off with the intruder getting the drop on the homeowner.
    If you truly think a gun can save you against an armed intruder you're pretty dumb. Unless the intruder is actually retarded, they're going to shoot you first. Tell me, if you're sitting on your couch watching TV, and a robber or someone breaks down the door and walks in, or breaks a window and climbs in, are you really going to run and get your gun before he just shoots you? Especially if you're responsible and keep your gun in a safe somewhere, or you're irresponsible and don't, either way, unless the gun is already on your body beforehand you aren't going to win that race.

It might make you feel safer, but it's absolutely worthless in 99% of situations.

Deleted
    "Good thing this guy had a gun huh?" That is a broken logic, If there had been no guns in the first place the inmate would also not have had a gun. Added to i can not remember how much, but if a large % chance that you actually hurt a family member or friend with the gun in the house, then actually useing it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Grasping at straws to justify everyone owning and maintaining their own personal armoury?

Quote Originally Posted by InDecisive View Post
    Yep. The husband's. LOL.

Long -- who had allegedly shot a deputy pursuing him on Sunday -- woke up the Mauderlys and disabled their landline phones except for a line in the couple's bedroom. He then took a shotgun that Jerome Mauderly, a retired prison guard and farmer, had loaded that night and placed next to the bed before going to sleep.
    In fact, same gun the husband shot him with.

The ironing is delicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

"He <the burglar> then took a shotgun that Jerome Mauderly <the victim>, a retired prison guard and farmer, had loaded that night and placed next to the bed before going to sleep."

SOoo.. guy broke into his house, stole his shotgun that he apparently loaded up and kept next to his bed.. ANd you say it's good that he had a gun in the first place?
    Having a safer house and locked doors would be more than enough >.<'

Damn the American way of thinking.. Everyone needs a gun to protect themselves.. Here where I live we just lock our doors and have strong anti-burglar windows/alarms >.<' I haven't heard about even one shooting here for years..
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    If you truly think a gun can save you against an armed intruder you're pretty dumb. Unless the intruder is actually retarded, they're going to shoot you first. Tell me, if you're sitting on your couch watching TV, and a robber or someone breaks down the door and walks in, or breaks a window and climbs in, are you really going to run and get your gun before he just shoots you? Especially if you're responsible and keep your gun in a safe somewhere, or you're irresponsible and don't, either way, unless the gun is already on your body beforehand you aren't going to win that race.

It might make you feel safer, but it's absolutely worthless in 99% of situations.
    Sorry, but 99% isn't 100%. Complete bullshit regardless. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Say I'm not sitting on my couch watching TV. Say he fails to break down the door on the first go (my doors are all solid wood, a benefit of living in an older house). You think I won't hear the sound of glass breaking if I'm awake? I don't need medicine 99% of my life, but I keep it on hand just in-case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    "He <the burglar> then took a shotgun that Jerome Mauderly <the victim>, a retired prison guard and farmer, had loaded that night and placed next to the bed before going to sleep."

SOoo.. guy broke into his house, stole his shotgun that he apparently loaded up and kept next to his bed.. ANd you say it's good that he had a gun in the first place?
    Having a safer house and locked doors would be more than enough >.<'

Damn the American way of thinking.. Everyone needs a gun to protect themselves.. Here where I live we just lock our doors and have strong anti-burglar windows/alarms >.<' I haven't heard about even one shooting here for years..
    The inmate was already armed when he came in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    He deserves a thank you from all the taxpayers whose money he prevented from being wasted keeping this guy alive.
    Exactly what I was thinking lol. Dude broke into his house, he got shot. That's how it always should be.

Also, I don't currently own a gun. But I have a knife stashed just about every 5 feet in my apartment. Not only do I know how to fight with them (yay Marine training the Navy lol) but I am pretty damned accurate with throwing them. So no, I don't need a gun to protect myself, sharp pointy objects will work just as well.

That being said, we 'Dumb Americans' wouldn't feel the need to have weapons to protect ourselves if we didn't have a reason to do so. As long as there is a need, there will be guns.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2013-08-22 at 07:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.