Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Feral Or Boomkin

Hey guys,

So recently i have decided that ill be re-rolling from WW monk too boomkin or feral. These specs seemned both pretty fun and viable. So i looked at some simcrafting on the PTR for 5.4 and came up with this: http://bbs.ngacn.cc/read.php?tid=6406810&rand=487. Here it clearly shows feral is atm realy high and boomkin is realy high aswell (looking at the rest of the ranged). Now my question is which one schould i go best. Which one is the most fun/best utility/ better gear scaling. I've heard alot of negativity about feral though mainly it being "why pick feral if you can have a rogue". Is it realistic to go feral is a high end guild? Since i'd prefer to go 10 man, but i wouldn't realy mind 25 man.

Thanks in advance

Speaking from a pure pve perspective, my guild brings boomkins for both the dps and utility they bring to a raid. Given that a kitty doesn't bring much that either a different druid spec or a different melee could bring, and most raids are biased to want more ranged than melee, I would say boomkin will find it easier getting a raid slot.

That said, I don't play a druid anymore, because I loved kitty, and dislike boomkin, so I may be biased.

Whatever

You

Enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    Like i stated in a previous similar post, my guild wont let me play anything but my moonkin, because they couldnt do without. Moonkins have good dps (although its very micro management, which makes diff between ok and good moonkins), have great utility (but i guess thats just druid class, stampeding roar, tranq, symbi etc).

Feral is good as well, however unless you are a brilliant player, you will always get comments like the rogue etc. In 10man you dont want to stack classes, and since moonkins and resto is valued a bit more. It might be harder to get into guilds. Like i said, if you are great player, have great exp then it wont be an issue obv.

Both are good, but I am biased towards moonkins :P

Pretty much everything that has been stated thus far. Boomkins are valued higher then feral for 10 man. 25 it does not matter that much. I personally HATE boomkin and love feral for reasons that I cannot explain. Feral is just "my" spec. It takes a bit of work to master it due to having a more intricate rotation then other specs but once you get the hang of it you can put out some competitive dps. Just choose whatever spec you are drawn to and worry about finding a group after. Why raid if your playing something you don't like right? I would be happy to answer any other questions as well.
    Last edited by Helieos; 2013-08-22 at 05:50 AM.
    ​MoBo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.5Ghz | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 4Gb | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 1866Mhz | Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 3TB HDD | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 80+ Gold 850W | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 | Case: NZXT H510 Elite

haha all the boomkin love.

All the information you need is here above my posts. First and foremost, play what you enjoy. If my name doesn't give it away, I enjoy boomkin. I tried feral in wrath, cata, and mop, and I just don't enjoy the playstyle. It's not to say that feral is bad, it's just not my thing. And as Helieos has made clear, some people do really enjoy feral.

All this talk about raid slots etc is fairly insignificant. A lot of fights are very ranged bias'd, and that gives a little more love to boomkin, but if you're good, if you're a skilled player, you won't have to worry about it. So get good. Practice. Work at it, whether feral or boomkin, there's many people here and elsewhere online that are willing to help - and you should do just fine.

Deleted
    Aside for the fact that you should play whatever you enjoy, you also must decide taking into account in which of the two specs you are going to better at. You said that you were playing WW monk this patch, so logic says that you are more familiar playing a melee dd. Moreover, WW and Ferals share, more or less, sort of the same mechanics. If you are in a top-end raiding guild, thus you are going to get gear pretty fast, I would go with the Moonkin, because, judging from 5.3, I assume that Moonkins, in order to be competitive, they'll once more require a ton of gear.

Spec wise, Feral requires immense skills and effort in order to be played sufficiently, whereas Moonkin is more forgiving and comparatively easier.

Personally speaking, and I play competitively resto druid and ww monk, I woudn't go for any of those specs:P Resto, at least on paper, is finally going to be blizzard's favorite spec for once, and regarding WWs, although the mastery change/nerf is pretty huge, I'd definitely continue playing him (as my main alt) cause I truly enjoy the play-style.

I love playing Feral, but it's currently just not a well thought-out raiding spec. It has all the downsides of playing a Sub Rogue and shares all of its gear with 2 different tank specs. It's easy to gear up a Moonkin (since they can take either Spirit or Hit gear) and they're useful to a raid.

Just be aware that moonkins are taking a big hit in 5.4 to both DPS and survivability.

Signature Created by Jassinta

... Boomchicken

I mean they aren't gimped on movement fights, target swaps and add fights. That and they don't compete with Rogues which lets face it is the overly loved, fat, red faced, brattish kid of melee for Blizzard.

Also remember this:
    You are a god damn anthropomorphic horned chicken that uses the power of the sun and moon to kill things. How is that not cool?
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    I mean they aren't gimped on movement fights,
    Can I have some of what you're smoking? Movement is the death of balance unless you're swimming in SS procs.

target swaps and add fights.
    This is getting the nerfbat hardcore in 5.4.

Also remember this:
    You are a god damn anthropomorphic horned chicken that uses the power of the sun and moon to kill things. How is that not cool?
    I do agree with this though..

Signature Created by Jassinta

Deleted
    Pick what you enjoy. If that doesn't matter to you, definitely go boom.
    Honestly everyone who is playing feral is secretly wishing that they'd be able to love another spec more.

EDIT:
    That and they don't compete with Rogues which lets face it is the overly loved, fat, red faced, brattish kid of melee for Blizzard.
    As a boomkin I don't think you should call anyone else fat
    Last edited by mmocea9cec0ead; 2013-08-22 at 09:25 PM.

the one you find most fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Just be aware that moonkins are taking a big hit in 5.4 to both DPS and survivability.
    This,

I was a boomie since Cata and liked it, but early in MoP I just started to hate it. I just always felt weaker then my other toons which had less gear.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Please, do tell me, how are we taking a "big hit" to our DPS?
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Batix View Post
    Please, do tell me, how are we taking a "big hit" to our DPS?
    This from the PTR patchnotes:

" Shooting Stars now has a reduced chance to activate for each additional target affected by the same spell ( Moonfire and Sunfire are tracked separately)."

This completely demolishes the way Moonkins with crit-gear are played in PvP right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    This from the PTR patchnotes:

" Shooting Stars now has a reduced chance to activate for each additional target affected by the same spell ( Moonfire and Sunfire are tracked separately)."

This completely demolishes the way Moonkins with crit-gear are played in PvP right now.
    Where's your evidence that this is a DPS loss? Are you talking only for PvP? (I know nothing about how PvP is, so do excuse me - my reply is purely PvE-oriented)
    This looks to me like a change to balance us around the 4pc and around such high crit levels that we will hit come 5.4.
    Last edited by Batix; 2013-08-29 at 07:23 PM.
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Batix View Post
    Where's your evidence that this is a DPS loss? Are you talking only for PvP? (I know nothing about how PvP is, so do excuse me - my reply is purely PvE-oriented)
    This looks to me like a change to balance us around the 4pc and around such high crit levels that we will hit come 5.4.
    In PvP, currently, Moonkins build all crit and run around putting moonfire/sunfire on everyone. Then proceed to spam Starsurge from the resulting mass of procs. This style also means moonkins are extremely mobile and never have to hard-cast anything (and therefore cannot be interrupted).

That's all gonna change next patch though.