Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    I don't understand why people are bashing nintendo for low console sales when the other two companies don't have the guts to even release their own consoles until they have games to back it up with. Nintendo simply allowed us to purchase theirs early and get our hands on the console as well as some third party games and a first party game or two to sate us while we waited for the wave of first party games that has begun with pikmin 3.
    Guts? How about common sense. Hey guys lets put out a console with only mediocre games that way everyone who isn't a die hard nintendo fan can hear about how bad all of our games are and probably confuse that with the system itself somewhere along the way so that they never buy it! Great idea.

Really though all the hate just comes from kids who grew up on Nintendo and then realized one day that Xbox/PS/PC fit their new gaming tastes and interests as they grew up. Rather than seeing that though they just assumed that Nintendo sucks now meanwhile Nintendo keeps doing what they do and creating games that a younger audience and responsible parents enjoy.

Deleted
    just ordered the WiiU Wind Waker bundle ... i'm looking soooo forward to it.

Why?
    In my opinion Nintendo is the only console manufacturer that does something different than what PC gaming is already providing.
    For me Xbox360, XBO, PS3 & 4 are nothing more than dumbed down gaming PCs with limited usefulnes. Of course they all have exclusives which is the sad part, but i still think that Nintendo has the best exclusives. Wind Waker HD for example, i'm really hyped for it.

Of course people were complaining alot the last year that the WiiU didn't have a good line-up of games but that is improving, especially with their exclusives. I was lucky enough to be able to play some of the games at gamesCom2013 in Cologne. I play Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D Land and Wonderful 101 and all of those games where fabulous and fun - at least for the few minutes of playing that i was allowed.

Another masterpiece i'm looking for will be Xenoblade Chronicles 2 ... the trailer looks awesome. Furthermore Nintendo is getting a little bit more third party attention lately with games like Assassin's Creed 4 - Black Flag and Watch_Dogs coming to WiiU too (Thanks Ubisoft !)
    Additionally to being able to provide a broader line-up of games Nintendo also is trying to get the core-gamer audience and the more adult gamers back and they have manage - at least for me (I'm 28 and the WiiU will be the first nintendo console i'll own since the N64).

I think that the release of PS4 and XBO won't hurt Nintendo. With all the new games being developed for the next gen i bet that some of those games also make it over to the WiiU which is good.

Thus being said: The WiiU sold bad so far, i know, but i think that it will improve AND i also believe that PS4 and XBO will have game line-up problems too, maybe not as severe as with the WiiU, but there will be a game-variety shortage soon after release.

I didnt think ppl hated nintendo i just thought they where forgotten is all because they have become irrelevant in the console industry, I love their hand helds but the consoles are just plain shit. Microsoft on the other hand is very much hated by the majority of gamers now and rightly so. All in all if MS disappeared from the games industry i would be happy but if nintendo left i would be sad unless they made games still.

People take the declining stock and recent decisions as a omen. I always have and always will enjoy Nintendo that said outside the 3ds I haven't bought a product from them since n64. They made niche systems that not everyone will enjoy and they generally make very young focused games.....Also 2ds system design WTF

Deleted
    I always liked them, but they are just too expensive for me :P

Let me put it this way.

Playing a new first part nintendo title is like reading the next chapter in a book. Chapter 1: Metroid, chapter 2: Metroid 2, chapter 3: super Metroid, etc.

Playing a new CoD game is like reading the same chapter just with some words replaced with synonyms of themselves. The same chapter but a different combination of words each time.

The WiiU failing? Sure, sales are low but considering like the only first party game before pikmin 3 was another mario bros, it makes really good sales considering most all of them were off of excitement for what's to come.
    I've never played CoD so I can't comment on that. Most first party nintendo games have no continuity. Metroid is probably the only one that feels like reading a chapter of a book as you go along the sequels. I wouldn't even consider zelda to be one since each game is in its own alternate dimension/timeline. Man how I wished for link and zelda to be in a relationship but never received that ending or version of a game. Link is forever destined to be just a guard/protector of zelda. The only zelda game with a direct sequel is ocarina of time with majoras mask.

I don't see it as having guts for releasing a console with a lack of games. Nintendo knows that their first party games are console sellers. And no matter how bad their console is, the fanbase will always buy a mario/zelda/smash bros/mario kart game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I always liked them, but they are just too expensive for me :P
    Wait, what? How is Nintendo the more expensive of the big 3? The 3DS got knocked down in price, as well as the Wii U and they were already cheap to begin with.

I've never played CoD so I can't comment on that. Most first party nintendo games have no continuity. Metroid is probably the only one that feels like reading a chapter of a book as you go along the sequels. I wouldn't even consider zelda to be one since each game is in its own alternate dimension/timeline. Man how I wished for link and zelda to be in a relationship but never received that ending or version of a game. Link is forever destined to be just a guard/protector of zelda. The only zelda game with a direct sequel is ocarina of time with majoras mask.
    I'd say the only Nintendo IP that has continuity issues is Mario. For Zelda, each game is generally another chapter up until Ocarina, where it splits. There was some backlash to that decision but we do generally accept it now. Then I think it gets more creative with tones on the three timelines. You get the more colorful, upbeat Zelda with the Wind Waker timeline, a more darker tone with the Twillight timeline and then general adventure-ness with the LttP timeline, which I'm glad is getting more games set into it. Been neglected.
    Last edited by Ausr; 2013-09-10 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Wow... whole crap-ton of baseless assumptions there!

Sorry son, but Elder Scrolls was NOT based on Legend of Zelda. Ask Bethesda... It was based on games like Zork, Bard's Tale, the Ultima series combined with pen-and-paper Role Playing Games... and those happened WAY before the NES was a glimmer in Nintendo's eyes.

If anything, Zelda couldn't exist if it wasn't for the previous RPGs dating back to the Atari 2600's Adventure and D&D.

And Zelda is not a gimmick. The gimmicks I speak of are the peripheral jack-leg controllers they made. If you read any of my previous posts - I'm for Nintendo getting rid of their home console hardware department and focusing on their IPs for other home-consoles. (hell, they could tie-in the 3DS via connectivity to boot!). There games can be great - when they focused on just doing 1 or 2 main games a year... not 5+ every year to keep their dying console on life-support.
    For a poster with such a high count you sure don't dabble that much into reading it seems. I didn't say that Zelda was the basis of Elder Scrolls, but an inspiration to its creation. Pen-and-paper role-playing games were part of Zelda's basis as well; nobody that knows a thing or two about role-playing games disputes that. But, it is kind of obvious considering the immense popularity of the Zelda series, with its most prominent characteristic being its 'Overworld,' and the Elder Scrolls being an open-world game that it did inspire its creation.

So, better reading comprehension next time.

As for the gimmicks that you mentioned, they are attempts to propel gaming forward. Some will work; some won't; others will work but will not be fun to you. It's the way of things. That doesn't make them wrong. It just means that you don't like them. Personally I am all for Nintendo to keep producing consoles, just to be able to experiment as they do with peripherals. They have done quite good up to now in my opinion; and it keeps Sony and Microsoft in check, as well as inspire them. Granted Playstation Move is crap, and Kinect is at the very least confused; but they may come out with something good in the future. Actually Kinect has some amazing applications; they are just not realised by Microsoft...

And as for the games, they continue to come up with some great games, so I don't understand what it is that you are talking about. Once again, it may be that they are not making the games that you want them to make. But all of their games have been among the best in their respective genres.

Do you dream about Elder Scrolls - The Zelda Edition? So do I. But I don't think it's the consoles department that is holding such a game back, but Nintendo's executives and their decisions. They are clearly heading towards a more mainstream approach. But in our economical climate who can blame them? Videogame development has become such an expensive field; and Nintendo's competitors have very strong financial backing in most cases. At the same time mistakes are nearly unaffordable as a whole. Of course and they would pursue the 'safe' money. Just like Activision, EA, Sony, Ubisoft, Microsoft, and so on.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2013-09-10 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drithien View Post
    For a poster with such a high count you sure don't dabble that much into reading it seems. I didn't say that Zelda was the basis of Elder Scrolls, but an inspiration to its creation. Pen-and-paper role-playing games were part of Zelda's basis as well; nobody that knows a thing or two about role-playing games disputes that. But, it is kind of obvious considering the immense popularity of the Zelda series, with its most prominent characteristic being its 'Overworld,' and the Elder Scrolls being an open-world game that it did inspire its creation.

So, better reading comprehension next time.-snip-
    ...me having better reading comprehension? Try that yourself...

I'll highlight the part you clearly didn't read/ignored.
    Sorry son, but Elder Scrolls was NOT based on Legend of Zelda. Ask Bethesda... It was based on games like Zork, Bard's Tale, the Ultima series combined with pen-and-paper Role Playing Games... and those happened WAY before the NES was a glimmer in Nintendo's eyes.
    Based/inspired are pretty much the same thing in this context - and you damn well know that. Zelda was not it's inspiration. Zork, Bard's Tale and Ultima were...

- - - Updated - - -

And as for the games, they continue to come up with some great games, so I don't understand what it is that you are talking about. Once again, it may be that they are not making the games that you want them to make. But all of their games have been among the best in their respective genres.
    VERY debatable. Mario I'll give you, but - with respect - it's the only platformer out next to Sonic. Zelda isn't as good as it used to be. The last Smash Bros was a very slight step back, and Metroid? heh... :P

Do you dream about Elder Scrolls - The Zelda Edition? So do I.
    At least we agree on that! ^_^

But I don't think it's the consoles department that is holding such a game back, but Nintendo's executives and their decisions. They are clearly heading towards a more mainstream approach. But in our economical climate who can blame them? Videogame development has become such an expensive field; and Nintendo's competitors have very strong financial backing in most cases. At the same time mistakes are nearly unaffordable as a whole. Of course and they would pursue the 'safe' money. Just like Activision, EA, Sony, Ubisoft, Microsoft, and so on.
    While you're right on one front, I unfortunately believe you're wrong on another... I believe the Console division is also holding it back because they're being forced to spit out 5+ key-IP games a year just to keep their console on prolonged life-support.

If they went full 3rd party - they could a) put all that money sunk into hardware into beefing up the game dev staffs, and b) they can now just release ONE key franchise a year and focus on making that a GENERATION defining game (like they used to) for each respective year instead of focusing on spitting out 5+ IPs every year.

Oh, and if you haven't noticed - the current IPs on their home consoles haven't been "safe" money as of late.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-09-10 at 03:18 PM.

I'll highlight the part you clearly didn't read/ignored.

Based/inspired are pretty much the same thing in this context - and you damn well know that. Zelda was not it's inspiration. Zork, Bard's Tale and Ultima were...
    I did read that part, and it is the reason why I made the disctinction between basis and inspiration. It is also why I included Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto in the games that were inspired by Zelda. Due to the concept of the Overworld that they all use. They share a subgenre, and when you create such a game you do get inspiration from what has come before; it's the way all developers work; all artists actually. And no, for me to make the distinction they are not the same to me.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Based/inspired are pretty much the same thing

not always. Warcraft is very much inspired by the writing of Tolkien (in part) while LOTRO is directly based from writing of Tolkien

10+ Year Old Account
    Its become a niche console, you either love the games they make or you don't its that simple. I personally love a lot of the Nintendo home brewed games and some of the exclusives they get like Xenoblade, Last Remnant. Their handhelds in my opinion have better games, or at least they have more games that I like as opposed to the PSP. I will continue to buy Nintendo because I know what I'm getting with Nintendo. If they keep dishing out games like Pokemon Conquest and Fire Emblem: Awakenings I'll keep buying their handhelds.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Deleted
    VERY debatable. Mario I'll give you, but - with respect - it's the only platformer out next to Sonic. Zelda isn't as good as it used to be. The last Smash Bros was a very slight step back, and Metroid? heh... :P
    Don't forget about Donkey Kong, the last one was a huge success and it was a platformer.

Whille there is a lot of people who think Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were the best Zelda games ever, there are also many people who think Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are way better than any of the old ones, so as Zelda goes it's very divided.

Brawl was a step backwards from Melee as a competitive game, but to casual players it didn't really matter, and majority of the Wii's crowd is mostly casual. And Metroid...well, most people hated Other M (including myself), so you're right about that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    lol, Nintendo games have more playability then Call of Duty and Battlefield combined.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, because the Wii U is as powerful as the 360 and PS3....uninformed n00b is uninformed.
    The Wii U is far far far closer to the 360 and PS3 then the Xbox One and PS4, and you know it Nintendo fanboy.

Every game Nintendo is making for the Wii U right now would be better if they made it for the One and PS4 instead, and Nintendo would make more money off of it!

Please do not insult other users.
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-09-10 at 08:34 PM.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Have you even tried out the wii remote? Ya, it's weird when you got two halves of the controller connected by a cord, but it plays really nice. It doesn't constrain your arms to the same positions. It's hard to follow the gamecube controller but the wii remotes and nunchuk work well. Don't hate on it just because you haven't given it a chance.
    As a matter of fact - yes I did try it, I played on it at friends place few times. Played with my nephew as well.
    I simply do not lake it, as I mentioned - I am not the target gamer for this. I don`t "hate" on stuff without a reason. Tested, didn`t like it.

@Korgoth: Actually Nintendo earns a fuckton of money on their games and wouldnt earn as much as they do on their own console (no licensing needed).

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Every game Nintendo is making for the Wii U right now would be better if they made it for the One and PS4 instead, and Nintendo would make more money off of it!
    Not necessarily. Development costs for higher quality art assets etc. would cut into any potential profits. Not to mention you make less selling third party game than you do selling first party games, so they'd have to sell far more units to make the same amount of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not necessarily. Development costs for higher quality art assets etc. would cut into any potential profits. Not to mention you make less selling third party game than you do selling first party games, so they'd have to sell far more units to make the same amount of money.
    And selling far more units would be much easier with a larger install base which the PS4, Xbox One will have over the Wii U in a matter of DAYS. Wii U sales have been abysmal, and unlike the Wii Nintendo does not make a profit off the hardware sale.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    And selling far more units would be much easier with a larger install base which the PS4, Xbox One will have over the Wii U in a matter of DAYS. Wii U sales have been abysmal, and unlike the Wii Nintendo does not make a profit off the hardware sale.
    Actually, initial sales were really good. It just stopped selling after the first shipment.

And while you're correct, Nintendo doesn't make money from Wii U sales, they do make money with the first game sold on the console, and they make far more with every first party game they sell compared to how much they'd make selling it on a third party console.

We'll see if the Wii U continues to struggle next year. If it does, Nintendo will have to think of other strategies to help prop it up. But IIRC, the PS3 had similar problems with a small install base for a while yet it caught up to, and I think is is still slightly ahead, of the Xbox 360 which was launched earlier than it.

People keep counting the Wii U out, yet with the next 5ish months of games coming out I think it's a bit early.

Though again, people love to herald the impending doom of Nintendo as a company or as a hardware manufacturer. It's only been happening for the past decade or so.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Disappointed more than hate them, I'm not 12 anymore and I do not want to play kid games. I am not buying a system for Zelda sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Disappointed more than hate them, I'm not 12 anymore and I do not want to play kid games. I am not buying a system for Zelda sorry.
    What makes Nintendo games any more "kid" games than any other games? I've never understood this.