Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I like it here, and i like the majority of the people.. I don't have much negative to say about the country, there are some things that i would like to change if i had the power to do so though, and i will probably live in one of the countries in scandinavia for work anyway, so im good. o/
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

I find patriotism to be irrational, so I'm not patriotic at all. In fact, I believe patriotism and nationalism were sources of evil throughout human history.

Deleted
    No, not really. Doesn't mean that I don't think Denmark is a great country, though. It is. :-)

I used to be patriotic. Then right-wingers became popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    American here. I love my country and I love our Constitution. I hate my government. Mostly because it doesn't care about my fellow citizens or the constitution.
    I'm pretty much spot on here, love my country, love Constitution but hate the current gov't.

Deleted
    From Denmark here... Recently moved back after several years abroad.

I like some things of my homeland and its culture. There are also things I absolutely loathe and that have in the past made me leave and ultimately will again, once I have the opportunity. Things such as ridiculous taxes, invasive government, mandatory fees for things you don't use and a welfare system that while it works in theory, it's completely skewed and will eventually keep you in perpetual unemployment.

Am I proud when I read my country's history and when I hear the national anthem? Sure. But that's a different country than what it currently is and what I'm proud of will always be my idea of my country and that'll follow me wherever I go.

Tl;dr: Love my country and tolerant and reasonable culture. I hate our totally invasive, tax hungry government.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caelius View Post
    I love Austria, I love Tyrol. We've got a great country, we've got a great history and we've got a fucking great landscape with so many beautiful places. I can't imagine living anywhere but here and I'd fight for my homeland anytime if I'd have to.

So yes, I'm very patriotic. Austria ftw!

(It would be even better without all those Germans around us, though. )
    I agree. Out of all the places in Europe I've spent and significant length of time, Austria(Salzburg) was where I felt most at home.
    Amazing landscape, awesome food and very friendly people. I'd take a house in the alps over most other things in a heartbeat. Though I've no idea about the system as I was only there for a couple of times for around 3 months each.
    Last edited by mmoc494ea71a08; 2013-08-25 at 12:47 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really no.
    I find patriotism goes hand in hand with bigotry and ignorance, and more often than not hate and racism.

I like my country, but I'm not "proud".

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, not one bit.
    But I think Germany is a comfortable place to live.

Deleted
    I think people here confuse patriotism with nationalism... I'm a patriot but I hate nationalism more than anything else.

Deleted
    Yes. My country is a mess currently, and full of nationalistic bigots and lazy asses; but if I could, I'd make it strong with better economy and encourage STEM since everyone here's just pursuing social studies because they're "easy" and then can't find a job. I used to even feel contempt towards those who run away to go work in other countries and then contribute nothing towards their homeland while whining about the current state of it all day, but I guess I'll end up like that, too, it seems.

15+ Year Old Account
    i adore the city i live in and i love my home country

there are so many beautiful places, the people mostly mind their own business but never deny help if you need it, ofc something could be better and i hope we accomplish it

everyone i met and everyone i invited had a great time here

but i don´t know if that makes me a patriot, i never stop thinking about my actions and try to be as nice/funny as possible, so i wouldn´t be mindless patriotic, i´d stand against my country men if i know they do something wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

America isn't horrible but I've been thinking about moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klork View Post
    I'm from Scotland, I HATE it here. The people are scumbags
    Oi, I take offence to that!

Quote Originally Posted by klork View Post
    Recently someone from Denmark asked if it's worth visiting Scotland. I went off on a rant about how they would regret it and spend there money going to another country in Europe and having a better time.
    Well that was a pretty stupid thing to say, many many people visit Scotland and have a great time. We have a great history and lots of good places to visit.

Every country has assholes and bad places.

No, I'm not patriotic, but I'm not stupid enough to warn people away from my country when it is a good place to visit.

Since you mentioned football, Celtic won the best fans award a few years ago when they got to the UEFA cup final. Rangers fans are scum though (No I don't support Celtic). Scotland fans are notorious for going abroad and having a good time with the opposition, we're not known for wrecking the place, again that's rangers fans.

You can blame England for the benefits.

Where do you stay? Do you stay in a scumbag place like Coatbridge? and think the whole of Scotland is like that because you are too poor to travel?

If someone asked me if it was a good idea to visit Scotland, I would recommend them on where not to go, Glasgow being one of them. Edinburgh however is very friendly.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-08-25 at 01:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell, I'm a US military lapdog, but everyday i lose my faith even more in this country, they always come up with some thing more stupid than the last, for example, Bringing back that stupid SOPA law.
    Their filthyness STAAAINNS me~~

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    America isn't horrible but I've been thinking about moving.
    Where would you move?
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

I'm Glaswegian and I'm pretty fond of it here to be honest. I understand why people dislike Scotland but I'm definitely not one of them. I even like the weather. I'm very much against Scottish independence, though, and I don't approve of excessive patriotism. People should never feel obligated to like their country - I like Scotland and Britain for their qualities, not because they're Scotland/Britain. The sort of patriotism and national exceptionalism the Americans have going on really unsettles me.

10+ Year Old Account
    When we play football yes (though that isn't going very well).
    Other than that, not really. I like it here though. People are nice.. There's assholes too, but they're everywhere.
    For such a little place, it's kind of amazing how different people are when you travel a mere 100 km. Thats kinda cool.
    I like juice

I like my country a lot, there are things I dislike as well, but on the whole it's a great place. I dislike the south though, horrible accents and loads of bigots. lol
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-08-25 at 01:27 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Well that was a pretty stupid thing to say, many many people visit Scotland and have a great time. We have a great history and lots of good places to visit.
    I was thinking of visiting Scotland, always loved how unique the Scottish culture is. I've decided to wait until that vote about making Scotland independent, then I'd love to go there.

Deleted
    I'm glad to have been born in England. The standard of living and relative freedoms are excellent compared to other parts of the world. Heaps of influential human culture has spawned from denizens of these wet and dreary little isles. The climate is stable. The land is fertile. All in all, Blighty is not a bad place to start in the lottery of life, despite its many flaws.

Having said that, I don't feel any sense of pride in my being English, much in the same way that I don't feel proud of my brown hair or less-than-average body hair density. To be proud of an accident of birth, something you have had no influence over, seem nonsensical to me. It just opens the door for tribalism and superficial sectarian conflict. By all means, be appreciative of the hand fate has dealt you and swell with respect, appreciation or pride when you hear of great accomplishments achieved by people who have originated from the same patch of land as you did (I prefer to think of "English achievements" as simply human achievements), but avoid the notion that your national identity makes you automatically superior to somebody else. Judge people by their efforts, not their traits.